Thursday 29 September 2016

What I would tell my young self

If I could go back and impart knowledge on my young self, what would I say? What would I tell my young self to have an even better life?

1. Stop trying so hard getting people to like you. My early adolescent years were spent trying to be "part of the group". I wanted to be accepted and liked and to have people want to include me. Those same people (mostly girls) that I thought were so popular and important and wonderful are no longer part of my life. I don't use Facebook, so I have absolutely no idea what happened to them or the kinds of people they turned out to be as adults. I don't miss them and in fact I never think of them.

2. Be more comfortable in your own skin. Like many girls, there was a list of physical things that I did not like about myself. The bump on my nose, my big front teeth, my long feet, my this, my that. The piece by piece scrutiny did little for my self esteem and caused me to wish for differences over which I had little or no control. I would tell my young self that NOBODY cared. If I spent more time just having a good time rather than worrying about looks or proportions or comparing myself to others who were completely different body types than me, I would have had a much more enjoyable adolescence.  We are a whole package, not a collection of parts.

3. Don't be embarrassed by your abilities and successes. I was raised to be humble, not boast, not draw attention to myself. I downplayed getting good grades, or being able to draw well, or excel at public speaking, or any number of things. I received little or no praise from my parents who had already raised three other children by the time I came along and were actually probably too old to have the energy to put into raising another. I would tell my young self that I was actually smart and good and talented and that it was o.k. to be proud of myself.

4. Have more fun. I was a serious child, somewhat shy and cautious. I've never wanted to look like a fool. I spent a fair amount of time around adults or just playing on my own. I would tell my young self to throw caution to the wind and just have a blast, learn to laugh at myself, take chances, don't care what anyone thinks and just have fun. Pure unadulterated joy -- that is what I would recommend, no matter how silly or foolish it might seem.

To sum it up, I would quote Bill Murray in "Meatballs", "It just doesn't matter! It just doesn't matter! It just doesn't matter!"

 





Do you have anything you wish you could tell your young self?

13 comments:

  1. wow, you sound like you and I were much alike. Your words to a younger you would've fit me perfectly, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, It would be
    Stop arsing about in sixth form.
    You are not actually that fat
    Do not cut off your long long hair and have it permed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh there's a lot I'd probably tell her, but I'd doubt she'd listen to me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!! True, sensible words! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd say the same darn things, but the young me would not listen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, hindsight is 20/20 isn't it? If only we knew then what we know today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would tell my young self several things. 1. Enjoy life and do not worry about others. I was very shy in school and always afraid to try many new things since I was afraid I would mess up and be made fun of.
    2. I would tell young me that life is too short to not do everything that you possibly can for yourself. I love my kids and my husband, but I wish I would have traveled and done a few other things before they can along.
    3. Enjoy your friends! Life can change in an instant and they may not be there tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would probably tell myelf ' life is what you make it.'

    ReplyDelete
  9. I try to tell my daughter and son all these things. I am not sure it is a lesson learned or not.

    What would I tell myself? You are way more intelligent that you know. Get an education! You don't have to be afraid of everything. Travel!

    Did you ever see that movie with Kathleen Turner where she goes back in time? With the exception of telling a few people off and smoking some pot with a "bad boy" she pretty much follows her path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these comments. I think I'd still benefit from all of the advice. True though, that we likely wouldn't listen to any of this anyway.

      Delete
  10. What a pretty header. I'd tell myself to do everything the opposite of what I did. Love Bill Murray. I was shy and watched and listened. I still am somewhat. People think that an introvert is snobbish, aloof, but that isn't always the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I prefer to watch and listen as well.

      Delete
  11. What a lovely post. I still have to give myself pep talks sometimes and wish I could tell my younger self: Trust your instincts and don't second guess yourself; you are beautifully and wonderfully made; be confident in your abilities; and how well you have loved others will be the most important thing you've done in your life.

    ReplyDelete