Tuesday 6 September 2016

Look who Dropped By

I was sitting on the front porch after work drinking a glass of ice water (boy, it was hot today!) and I heard a rustle and then a thump! Here's what dropped from the sky (or more likely from the hanging plant above):


Well, hello! 

Want a different angle?


Isn't the camouflage amazing? Those wings definitely look like long, thin leaves. Those spindly legs look like the fine stems of leaves. I'm not sure if this is a male or female praying mantis. If you didn't know, the female sometimes eats the male after mating. This was a BIG praying mantis. Maybe it is a female who consumed her significant other and that's why she's so substantial!

I swear it was looking at me as I was trying to get good pictures.

16 comments:

  1. I'm guessing she's a female. Males have feathery antennae, and, she seems to have six abdominal segments. Males have eight. I'm sure she was looking at you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there you go. Lovely lady praying mantis. My husband gently transferred her to my garden. She'll be happier there than a patio chair.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen one of these "in the flesh" since I was a youngster. I don't know if they exist in my part of the Ottawa Valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I just assumed they were everywhere in Ontario. That's too bad if you don't have them. They always look like they are practicing some form of martial arts to me.

      Delete
  3. I think she's lovely! (and will truly enjoy your garden)
    They are such amazing and personable insects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great capture. And how beautiful! I love these bugs. They are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo. I haven't seen one in a long time. They look so fragile. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!
    Just heard on the news that the current weather here means that there are about three billion Daddylonglegs about to hatch.
    I'm just going to stay in bed for the rest of my life now. All doors and windows sealed SHUT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't have them here in the UK but I have seen them many times abroad - they certainly look like a leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! Great pics! Hope you and your friend have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool. I spotted one on a bush one time, and I was lucky enough to have my camera. As I was taking photos, it grabbed a bumble bee and proceeded to rip it in half and eat it. It was pretty gruesome but made for some great pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. Wouldn't want to meet the human version of this thing.

      Delete
  10. Wow A very charming visitor ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. ... But his mate makes no such motion when she camps beside the trail
    For the female of the species is more deadly than the male
    Kipling
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete