Thursday 7 December 2023

Remembering my Mom and Chow Mein Noodle Cookies

 I completed decorating the house early this evening. I let husband know that we can probably stop buying me Christmas decor as I didn't even put out everything that is stored in "the twelve boxes of Christmas". However, there are many treasured, special items that I will always put out, that have some kind of memory or meaning. One item is this silly little music box.


It has a wind up mechanism on the underside and it plays the tune of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". It uses magnets I believe so that the two little mice spin on top of the "ice". One tree along the side has a broken off top. One of the mice, or I think it was a mouse, maybe it was a bunny, no longer has any ears.


My mother went through some years where she would buy all of us "kids" (most of us adults by then) the same item. One year it was wooden Santas, another year it was a lovely resin Santa figure sitting in a chair in his slippers with a list in his hand and a cat on his lap (which always made me think of my father, who often had a cat on his lap), and one year it was this music box. We all got one. I don't know if my siblings still have theirs, but our two kids used to love to wind it up and watch the mice spin around. It was simple and sweet and when I wound it up today, I got a little choked up. Mom's been gone many years now, but she would have liked to know that I still put it out for the family to see.

Another thing I do at Christmas is make some of the goodies and treats that she used to make. One of those is chow mein noodle cookies. Our son called them spider cookies, because they kind of resemble a multi-legged creature, so we have renamed them spider cookies. The hardest thing about making them is finding the chow mein noodle cookies in the store.

Ingredients: 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips

                    2 cups of butterscotch chips

                   1 package of chow mein noodle cookies (mine was 170 grams)

                   aprx. 1 cup of salted peanuts



Melt the chips over a double boiler, or cautiously, in small increments in the microwave.


I like to snap some of the noodles in my hands so they are not all a long length. Once the chocolate and butterscotch chips are melted, add your dry noodles and peanuts. I honestly just dump peanuts in until it looks like there are enough. Maybe it's a cup, maybe it's more or less.


Try to really stir the contents well so that everything gets coated. Don't worry if you snap more noodles while you do it.


Using two spoons, drop clumps onto waxed paper. I ended up with three cookie sheets full. 


Here is a close up of these weird and wonderful treats. Put them in the refrigerator to cool and set up and store in an airtight container until you wish to put them out at a Christmas gathering (I keep mine in the fridge). They will be fine at room temperature later. 

My mom also made short bread that she put through a cookie press, funny little sugar cookies that were wrapped around a red maraschino cherry, rolled in sugar, and baked, and Hello Dollies which were squares with a graham cracker base, chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and coconut. They may be called something else where you are from.

I like keeping some of the traditions alive, and adding new ones, or ones borrowed from my husband's family. Stockings for instance, were not part of my childhood at all, but his family always did stockings, so we started them with ours. Do you make any Christmas treats that you mothers made? 

32 comments:

  1. I'm going to be in a baking frenzy in about 10 days time. I'm going to do whipped shortbread cookies, soft ginger cookies (both of which my Mom always made), fruitcake cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, and mince tarts (my Mom made those too). I plan on doing up some Christmas cookie gift tins for some people and serving the rest of the cookies at an afternoon cheese board 'n cookies holiday fest that I'm hosting the week before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That all sounds wonderful! Cheese board and cookies - sweet and savoury!

      Delete
  2. Remembering mum is so important, thank you. It is fascinating what memories of beloved late parents pop up, usually quite unexpectedly.

    I went to a wedding a few weeks ago and didn't like my normal array of hats. Then I found a beautiful formal hat that mum had worn in 1998 for one of her grandchildren's wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make cookies that my mother made - nutmeg logs. They are flavored shortbread with rum flavoring (NEVER the real thing - God forbid and then frosted with a white glaze and sprinkled with ground nutmeg. Sort of like eggnog flavored crunches. She died when I was 23 and I am 82 now. The recipe is in her handwriting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of nutmeg logs - but still a lovely tradition after all these years!

      Delete
  4. No NZ traditional cookies that I can remember. Just Xmas cake, Xmas pudding and fruit mince pies. I love reading about your cookies. If I baked those they certainly wouldn't make it till anywhere near Xmas. Absolutely the best cookie recipes I've read.
    Here In Greece there are two sweets that we have, melomakarouna (honey cakes) and kourbiethes (almond cakes). I made them for 40 years but now my husband makes them..... Cos I don't make them like his mother did. He's welcome to the job. I'm making mince pies and Xmas mince muffins. Yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've already been into the molasses spice cookies and gingerbread! I don't make any form of mince pies or tarts - I'm not a big fan, same with Christmas cake (fruit cake), but I buy a small fruit cake because husband likes it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I’m happy I have family to share them with!

      Delete
  6. Your mom gave gifts to treasure through the years. My mom was much more practical: hand held vacuums, stock pots, and towels were gifts we all (as adults) received as gifts. None of those are still in use as far as I know.
    But I do make some cookies she made - shortbread is one. But she, and I, just roll the dough in small balls and press with a fork. If I get real "fancy" I add some sprinkles. :) She also made butter cookies with the cookie press, I never got the hang of that gadget. But she was best known for her candies, fudge especially. She would cook it on the stove and then sit with the pot and beat it by hand until the fudge shone. Again, something I've never even attempted.
    Her birthday was Christmas Day and she passed away on Dec. 16, 2003 so this time of year is always somewhat bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve made “ cheater” fudge, but never the real stuff. Ha ha- fancy sprinkles.

      Delete
  7. My mom was a good cook... she made an exceptional oyster pie which we always looked forward to on Thanksgiving and Christmas... but she wasn't a baker. My mother-in-law was and I make several of her recipes including whiskey balls for Christmas and home-made eggnog for New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll bet my husband would love the oyster pie! Your mention of whiskey balls made me remember that I’ve saved some recipes for rum balls. I’ve never made them and maybe I should try.

      Delete
  8. My mother disliked cooking and baking so I have no desert Christmas traditions. My mother did like stuffed dates and I guess this was her Christmas tradition. (Take a date, remove the pit and replace it with a walnut, add a bit of marsh mellow fluff and lastly roll the entire thing in sugar.) There was always a large platter of dates on the table. I find this entirely to sweet so have not made them for a long time. My tradition is buying a gingerbread cake and serving it with fresh whip cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister brought stuffed dates to a gathering last year but there were no marshmallows.

      Delete
  9. You reminded me it's time to make Grammie's Molasses cookies. I think they're identical to a recipe you posted long go. I'll freeze some and hide them deep in the freezer so some will remain for the big day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I still make those and I think I need to make more! We kind of already got into them.

      Delete
  10. It is good to read about all the seasonal excitement...but I have lost the urge to join in, which we did even when travelling in NZ, five years out of the last ten....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody does the holidays in their own way, even if that might mean not really doing them much at all!

      Delete
  11. I have almost finished my candy making and squares. Now would be the time to start cookies and English Shortbread. Harvey always says I make too much, which is probably very true.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do make too much but I like to be able to take some to a gathering or box some up for acquaintances. Son is always happy about the leftovers after Christmas and he’s tall and slim and not prone to post menopausal spread! 🙂

      Delete
  12. I'm retired from all the run up to Christmas now, but my daughters are not, and I see the old decorations around their houses and the old "family" cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely to have such memories of your mother, and it all looked and sounded delicious. I have a toffee recipe written by the aunt who brought me up, faded a bit now but still legible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you make the toffee? I’ll bet that is delicious!

      Delete
  14. Thank you for sharing your Christmas Mom story with us. Last year was the first Christmas without my mom and when I put up the little tree (that I got the idea from her to get a small second tree), I also added the little boxes that she made me. Twelve in all, wrapped little boxes that I use each year under that tree. Then, the snowman heads from her mom. Bittersweet.

    Hubby's Gram used a cookie press. It was passed down to me.

    Wishing you a happy holiday season. My gosh, it goes fast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You and I do so many of the same things and remember our mothers in a similar way. (From how you describe your mom at Christmas, I think if they knew each other they would have been great friends -- and even made some of the same recipes, like the Hello Dolly bars!) I love those spider cookies -- very cute. And that music box is a treasure. I surround my holiday self with things related to my mom (certain ornaments she collected or made, especially) and dad (a painting he did for me as a Christmas card and an ornament he made for my mom.) I miss them most at this time of year. Love this post so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the music box. I have one I got for Christmas. My mom would make peanut brittle and English toffee. I have always wanted to make those cookies. I may have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember the noodle cookies. Weren't they around the late 70's early 80's?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I love stories like these! Thank you so much for sharing them.
    In my family we all make a Christmas cookie called an "S" cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The little music box is such a treasure; I would hold onto it forever as well.
    I love that you are recreating the same treats as your mom. You are honoring her this way and I know it makes her smile from above. I've never heard of Chinese noodle cookies before, the treats look yummy!

    ReplyDelete