Sunday 24 December 2023

Christmas Eve Day

 There will be no "moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow" this year, although we are on the verge of a full moon, there's no reflective snow happening. I don't love a green Christmas, but last year we were dumped on, roads were closed, and daughter and boyfriend got their car stuck on their way to our house. Feast or famine.

Our gathering this past Saturday was lovely. Here are some highlights:


Before some gift opening... Murph in his allocated spot.


I can cook a turkey, but lord I hate carving. I'm more of a rip it apart and hope for the best kind of chef, so I put husband to the task and told him he gets to use a tool, so that made it more appealing. He's getting ready to attack the bird with an electric knife in that picture whilst I am still scooping stuffing from it.


Here we all are during the dishing out of the dinner. Daughter offered to do the selfie - only those under thirty are any good at it, I think. 


After supper, son decided to rate all of his nutcrackers (he's gotten one each year since he was a wee little fellow) in order from best to least favourite. Daughter helped him.


Today, husband will get his mother from the nursing home. We will have an earlier supper (it is a big ham) because she gets a bit antsy if she's not "back home" by a certain time. We will open some gifts with her. Then after she is returned back, son, husband and I are going to open the rest of our presents in the evening with the nice light of the tree and other decor and it will be all cozy and merry. This is a tradition that we did a bit of in my own home when I got a little older. It might be a bit of a German thing, I don't know, but it was always nice at night. 

Tomorrow, Christmas day, we drive to my second oldest brother's house and celebrate again. No storms to navigate through, so easy driving.

And on a decidedly different note, I finally chose to go to emerg. at the little local hospital (that is only open until 5:00 p.m., so plan your emergency...), as I can't get into my own doctor for three weeks and the cough is driving me batty, straining my sternum and I wanted to make sure it wasn't heading in the direction of pneumonia. As I sat in the examination room when the lovely doctor on call was writing me a prescription for an inhaler, I saw this: (I asked if I could take a picture)


Someone with a good sense of humour attached large googly eyes to the poster on the wall. The doctor didn't even know they were there. Perfect. 

16 comments:

  1. Your daughter did indeed take a PERFECT selfie with everyone in it! And that's an awesome nutcracker collection. I hope the inhaler helps your respiratory issues and BONUS: you got a wonderful shot of Mr Googly Eyes! Enjoy the rest of your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is gorgeous, too, a bonus for your appreciative readers. I hope the inhaler works. I certainly like the idea of scheduling all emergencies for the working day! And Merry Christmas! Good New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, only those much younger than I can manage a decent selfie, especially with a group shot.
    Your celebration with the adult children sounds wonderful, the tree is lovely, and the nutcracker collection is pretty amazing.
    Enjoy your evening! Merry Christmas to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific selfie by your daughter! Hope the inhaler helps your cough so you can enjoy the rest of your celebrations! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you may have cough free celebrations ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you enjoy all your celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, all. I’m putting my feet up for a moment with a coffee ( and a hint of Baileys), most prep work is done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how jolly! It's been a few weeks since I've had time to read blogs (worse luck!) I wanted to wish you/yours a Happy Christmas; I am glad you are here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you are feeling better soon! Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Season's greetings to you and your lovely extended family. Be better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Red walls?? You have red walls? I am so jealous, and not yet brave enough to try it. Your daughter is as beautiful as her mum, by the way.
    That cough: seems to be a thing eith the latest cold going around. Very wise to get it checked out.
    Such a lovely Christmas Eve, Jenn. Wishing you and your a very merry day to.orrow, and the best in the coming year@

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas! Wonderful photos and a very lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas Jenn to you and yours! Lovely pics... and you're right - only the young ones take halfway decent selfies. Hope you get over your cough soon. I've had one for 24 years... they call it a radiation cough, but who knows??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Murph! Front line. Waiting for his Christmas treat from Santa? I hate carving anything. Fortunately I have a son in law who has it down to a fine art. Men do come in handy lol Lovely to see your photos and your family. Lots of festive cheer from Greece to Canada xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Imagine keeping all the nutcrackers received just about since birth. What a great kid he must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope the antibiotics kick in! That's smart. And loving Murphy and your fun family. (You're right about the younger generation and selfies!). Your tree is wonderful and I'm smitten by the nutcracker collection!

    ReplyDelete