Thursday 28 December 2023

All Done, Time to Pack Up

 It's Thursday, December 28 and just like this year was the earliest to get the tree, do the baking, and have shopping done, it will also be the earliest to pack up the merriest of seasons. We had friends over for supper last night, so I wanted all the decor and tree to be in place for their visit. 

This morning, I've gathered all the clean Christmas mugs and got them ready to put away in upper kitchen cupboards and have retrieved the regular coffee cups from the same upper cupboard and put them back where they belong. My goal is to be done with Christmas by this Saturday. Today the village will be torn down and boxed up, and I don't know what else, but I'll set little goals for myself.

Last night, I decided I wanted to make for supper anything that was the anti-Christmas meal. We've had two turkeys (one that I made), and the days of left overs from that, and one ham dinner (and still have the leftovers from that), and so I thought... pizza! I bought the pre-made shells that come with little packages of sauce. I got toppings ready - fried some bacon and cut that up, fried some little bits of italian sausage, pre-cooked some onions, both red and white, peppers, mushrooms... One pizza was the "meat" based one with pepperoni, bacon, sausage, onions, mushrooms and green peppers, and the other was less meat with pepperoni, multi-coloured peppers, red onions, and olives. I served it with a salad based on one I had enjoyed at a restaurant a little while ago. They called it a Christmas Salad because it had red, white, and green in it. Mine consisted of greens (baby spinach and arugula), feta cheese, dried cranberries, red onion, mandarin oranges, and candied pecans. It is served with either balsamic vinaigrette or poppy seed dressing. 

It was such a nice visit and I sent them away with two cartons of eggs (always have too many). We still have no snow and it rained the entire day yesterday, with more to come today. Oh well, the water tables will be high next summer. I didn't go for a walk yesterday because it was a HARD rain every time I thought about it, but I want to get a walk in today, regardless because my body feels it if I don't walk for a few days. That's my post for today, nothing big, just regular life. Perhaps some of you are thinking of packing up as well, or perhaps you leave things in place until New Year's. We haven't done anything exciting for New Years for, well, years, so there's no need to keep things festive in the house. 

33 comments:

  1. You're far ahead of me! I suspect that given my basement situation, my Christmas will be up till the vernal equinox! And I hear you on Christmas food. Sick of it all! (Except the cookeis.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh. I think I have to get caught up on your blog and find out what your “ basement situation “ is!

      Delete
  2. The pizza sounds pretty amazing, and so does that salad. Anti Christmas food, nice idea! I will leave Christmas up longer than usual since our Colorado granddaughter will be here for a visit on the 3rd. So we might just celebrate Old Christmas! I will take down a few things though, actually already have a box started of things I no longer want , to take to the thrift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're ahead of me too. We don't do turkey (again) for Christmas, but we did have a small ham that is being pretty quickly consumed by DH and grandson. I don't do ham, but they really like it. We won't take down the Christmas tree or decorations until after New Year's... like having it all around. Glad you had a good Christmas and wishing you a wonderful 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Normally I don’t clean up yet, but since I decorated so early, I’m ready to be done with it!

      Delete
  4. You are way ahead of me. My Christmas decor will continue through the first week in January 2024. I did put gift boxes, ribbons and wrapping paper back in to storage containers. Like you, I've had enough of Christmas dinner leftovers. Last night I cooked salmon for dinner. Tonight will be pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, pizza is the opposite of the flavours of roast meat, sage, rosemary, gravy and mashed potatoes.

      Delete
  5. I get the anti-christmas food thing but couldn't face the time in the kitchen to even make pizza this week. You are doing amazingly well to have the turkey all cleaned up by today. We would still be looking at packets of the stuff in the freezer months form now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frozen turkey is good for future meals, though! Our turkey wasn’t huge and there were five of us eating it.

      Delete
  6. Snap we had pizza last evening too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pizzas sound nice. My small Christmas tree, which is a dwarf pine growing in a pot, comes in on Christmas Eve for decorating and is back outside minus the decorations on 6th January, when the Wise Men arrive, for the rest of the year. As very small children we didn't see the Christmas tree until the morning of 25th December and I have carried on the tradition even though I now live alone. Best wishes for 2024. Gillian in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband’s family was much like that, only having the tree up maybe a few days before Christmas and down again within a day or two after.

      Delete
  8. I'm not allowed to take the tree down till Jan 6 but I've been surreptitiously removing every other sign of Xmas. We were still eating leftovers but tomorrow is time for......fish!
    Pizza. That's a good idea! Something normal lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. January 6th must be a special day - forgive me for not knowing! ( There’s so many special days for you folks! ) My husband and son are just about to remove the tree from its tree stand and take it outside. Then the vacuuming begins!

      Delete
  9. Two cartons of eggs.. what a great take home gift. I cook with a lot of eggs and would loved to have been invited to dinner at your place :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I left my son with pizza before heading to my daughter's for Christmas. It does make a good, anything other than Christmas, meal. The salad sounds delicious!
    The tree and ornaments came down today. It was the only decorations I had here at my son's so I figured I'd put it away before it starts gathering dust. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I removed the ornaments from the tree yesterday. The tree still stands naked as The Husband isn't quite ready for it to go. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to get to the rest of it. I wouldn't mind leaving it up for a bit; but I prefer to have it all put away before I am back at work next week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The tree's still up here but some other things are down. Now comes the big cleanup leading to New Year's Day, a Scottish tradition, getting ready to welcome the new year with a clean house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You could have made a ham and pineapply pizza with some of that leftover ham!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My body and mind feel horrible if I don't get out for my walk every day. There was a break in the rain and off we went.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like clearing Christmas away and being ready for a new year. The pizza sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will not pack up until after the new year. I am dying to get rid of the cookies and goodies in this house!! We have a party to go to Saturday and I am taking a tray of goodies to that.
    I haven't walked because of the rain here and my body feels it.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am more than ready to put Christmas away, alas Mr Man needs it up until Epiphany. I am also more than ready for the dark dreary days to lighten up with some sunshine. Jenn wishing you & yours a very Happy 2024. ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  18. January 6th is 12th day of Christmas and traditional here for taking down the decs. It also happens to be my youngest son's birthday so has always been easy for me to remember. Happy 2024 to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used to leave decorations up until Jan. 6 but now that I’m alone I don’t. As soon as family left after having our pub turkey dinner, I put away all the decor and my tiny tree. With all the rainy weather and warm temperatures it didn’t feel like Christmas. I don’t mind this weather, better for me as I can get out and about easily. Your salad and pizza dinner was a great choice! Gigi from TO

    ReplyDelete
  20. My journal reminds me I didn't find time until 15 January to haul it all down
    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I will probably work on getting Christmas put away on the coming weekend, or perhaps a day when I am looking for something to keep me busy. Things are finally pretty much back to normal now. The boys are back in their homes and one still has a weeks holidays.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year to you and your family. We have had the oddest, warmest winter yet haven't we? We have a tiny bit of snow in Barrie, but not enough to get excited about. I hope I haven't jinxed it for the rest of the winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is good to get back to 'regular' life. I un-decorated yesterday, but left the tree to enjoy for a little longer.

    ReplyDelete