Tuesday 21 November 2023

Catching Up and Possibly Helping Someone

 I can't believe it is November 21st already. I know that my American friends are gearing up for Thanksgiving, which is always baffling to me, as we had ours way back in October. I feel like I'm gearing up for Christmas, and couldn't imagine also having to juggle Thanksgiving in the midst! 

I have not had too many teaching days (Covid causing me to essentially cancel a week's worth, and my procedure also meaning I couldn't book anything around this time). I just got notification that two days running at a lovely school that I hardly ever get into have been cancelled. That made me sad, as I was quite looking forward to making connections at that school.

I have started a wee bit of Christmas shopping already. I have been a bit anxious about that because this year I need to have some gifts purchased earlier (and have some baking done earlier, and some decorating done earlier) because my daughter and her fiance (I can say that now!) are going to his grandparents' and other relatives way up in Thunder Bay (Ontario) for the holidays. So we will have a little gathering and gift exchange prior to that (I'm thinking December 16th). It will be very odd when the actual Christmas rolls around to not have them here, but I know we have been very fortunate to have both of our kids close by and here for holidays up until now! Not everyone can say that.  My one brother has a twin daughter living in British Columbia, and my sister has a daughter living in New York, so yes, we are very fortunate. 

On the weekend, the weather was cooperating, so I went around the property with clippers in hand and gathered evergreen boughs to put into our two big iron urns on the little front porch. I went for a little walk past our property along a seasonal stream where I used to be able to gather armloads of red dogwood branches, but this year I barely found any. It was enough to create some colour in the middle of the urns, though. Later today, I shall drive into town to our local Dollerama and purchase some cheap and cheerful large sprigs of bright red berries to finish the project. Son helped me string the lights along our rail fence on Sunday so all that needs doing is for husband to round up the extension cords and nifty mechanism for the remote to turn the lights on and off when desired. 

Husband is still fighting the Covid effects. He is testing negative (as we all are), but his fatigue and cough remain. He is usually the much better healer of us two, but this time around, he's having a hard time shaking it, and is extremely frustrated as he has a big list of things he was wanting to take care of right now. Oh well, they shall have to wait. 

So now comes the part where I may assist someone. I am always a person who is quite fearful leading up to medical procedures, so I thought I would allay the fears of anyone who is like me and has to have the "dreaded colonoscopy". Don't dread it. I just had mine yesterday. First of all the prep for me was different than silly videos I watched on TikTok. I did not have huge jugs of foul tasting solution that I had to consume. Instead I had a little package of orange flavoured powder that I mixed with water which I had to consume, along with six to eight glasses of water, spaced about 15 minutes apart. I did that twice. Due to when my procedure was to take place, I had to waken at 5:00 a.m. for the second round of the orange solution. The day before the procedure, I could drink clear juice (I had apple), Gatorade or similar sports drink (not red or purple colours), broth ( I had chicken, warmed up, and it was nice), black coffee or tea, and jello (again, no red or purple, so I made lemon, lime and orange and only ate the lemon and a tiny bit of lime). I did not feel starving or deprived at all. The morning of was only water (and the orange concoction). In terms of what it did to my digestive tract, it was very manageable and not terrible and I was able to get some sleep at night, as well. 

The day of the procedure (which was yesterday), husband dropped me off at the small hospital in which it was to take place. I went to day surgery and sat around for a while. Then I went to a little room off of the day surgery waiting room where I dressed in the ubiquitous hospital gown and robe and was given an i.v. (that honestly was the worst part as the nurse had a heck of a time getting it in a vein and a second nurse had to step in, but maybe if you have nice hefty veins it won't be a problem). I waited around some more, then I was walked down to the room where I was to have the procedure done. There were lovely nurses and the doctor who chatted casually with me, I was even able to leave my socks on, and then ... nothing. I remember nothing after that. I woke up in a different area feeling like I had just had the most lovely sleep ever. I was in no pain whatsoever. I felt like I just wanted to cuddle down and sleep some more. I was given a nice little glass of ice water that felt like heaven, the doctor reassured me that he saw nothing that looked like cancer and that he took some little biopsies and that we would have an appointment again in a few weeks, and then I was given back my clothes and dressed in a different area. Someone called my husband to come pick me up and away I went. I was still a little drowsy and a little unsteady for a bit and fell asleep on the couch for a while (until the cat woke me up, thanks Murph). 

This morning, the morning after, I have zero pain, zero issues. I can eat whatever and it doesn't bother me. I'm glad to have a day not teaching, just because I feel like I'm still catching up on a bit of sleep, but all in all, it is nothing to be feared (just hope for a talented i.v. nurse) and the "sleep" is delightful. Hope that helps someone. 

Tomorrow the vehicle (I drive an older model Toyota Rav 4 and love it) has to be taken in for an undercoating and hopefully the guys can have a look at it and determine why it is making an annoying squeaky sound (husband has some theories, but obviously right now can't really be fixing it himself). Fingers crossed that it isn't ridiculously expensive, but honestly, that vehicle has been very good, with just general maintenance required over the years.

 'Tis windy, cold, rainy today with a possible high of 6 degrees (that's 42 in fahrenheit - which means nothing to me). What's funny is husband and I are two years apart. Celsius and various other metric teachings in school started when I was in the younger grades. Husband had already had imperial measurements firmly embedded in his brain by then. He is still very comfortable thinking in miles per hour and fahrenheit temperatures (even sets our thermometer for our heat in the house in fahrenheit), but it is meaningless to me. 

It shall be a quiche night tonight in an effort to use some eggs! Have a lovely day, everyone. 

33 comments:

  1. Glad it went well for you. I, too, have been there, done that. Once the business of getting the insides squeaky clean is done with, it's not unpleasant at all. After I dressed, I was offered tea and biscuits. Being coeliac I refused the biscuit, so a lovely nurse found a banana for me. It might be worth taking a snack, or allowing time to visit the hospital cafe straight afterwards, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I luuuuuv those good drugs they give you for a colonoscopy, lol! I agree -- the cleanse is the hardest part but the procedure itself is a snap. The last couple of times I had an IV put in, I had the same issue of the nurse not being able to get it in. I was told that being dehydrated can be the problem (the veins are not plumped up) and comes from not drinking enough fluids during the cleanse. They suggested drinking lots of gatorade during the cleanse to stay well hydrated (it's allowed as an approved fluid). I will definitely do that next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I told son afterwards that I understood why Michael Jackson did what he did (ya, I know that's likely disrespectful, but you know what I mean) by having himself put to sleep at night. Like a warm hug. If ever I have to be "colonoscopied" again, I will try to have more of the Gatorade the day before.

      Delete
  3. I hope you get another opportunity at that school, Jenn. And that your husband soon starts feeling like himself again.
    Yes, getting ready for Thanksgiving. I think I will bake pumpkin pies today, to get that out of the way. A small gathering here, as usual, but we had so many of our family home this past weekend that it felt like a holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, one must have pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving! (and Christmas).

      Delete
  4. Pirate has had two or three colonoscopies..he likes watching the screen to see his insides. When else do you get a chance to do that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear lord, no!!! No screen, no memory, no visuals, just blissful, painless sleep!

      Delete
  5. Great news that nothing sinister was found and thank you for explaining about your procedure, a good help for some one else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it’s not a topic that you throw around casually, but taking the stigma and fear out of it may possibly help someone.

      Delete
  6. I just learned that our American Thanksgiving USED to be in October; I can't remember the fun fact about why it was pushed to November - but I think someone needs to remedy this immediately.

    I hope your husband recovers soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there you go, I didn’t know it was originally at a different time!

      Delete
  7. Hope your husband recovers soon.

    I have always wondered why the US has their Thanksgiving so late. The holidays being so close together would drive me a bit crazy. Heck us starting the Black Friday thing drives me crazy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Over her in uk the health authorities do mass screening of poo samples and only offer colonoscopy if irregular cells show up or you are over a certain age and tick certain boxes for health history etc. OH gets colonoscopy every two years, me not been offered to option. Re your last comment on calibrations - i must be in between, can think in either but struggle to do meaningful conversions other than the sorts of weights and meadures used in recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, doctors often say it’s a good thing to have done after you are fifty, but we also have those screening tests that you mail in. I imagine lots of people don’t do it. I had been having some issues and I just wanted to eliminate the scary stuff.

      Delete
  9. I hope you get back in to the classroom. You must miss teaching a bit. My Thanksgiving guests are starting to arrive and I will be cooking a Prime Rib Roast with lots of sides. I buy a few pies and a cake for desert. I am no cook but I'm looking forward to the feast with friends and family. It is great to know the Colonoscopy prep has improved. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good your procedure is done and dusted, and you covered it beautifully! Hope you get back to teaching soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My brother and I have a colonoscopy every three years due to family history. Our sister refuses because she thinks it is to difficult and invasive. Brother and I can't convince her it's a piece of cake. Silly woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has their comfort levels and I can relate to not wanting a medical procedure! A very good friend of mine doesn’t shy away from big needles or other procedures but cannot stand dentists and having her teeth worked on.

      Delete
  12. Pleased to hear the procedure went well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad your procedure of the colonoscopy went well. Dec 16th, aka Express Christmas, is a perfect day to celebrate with your daughter & her fiance. :)
    That's the woe with Covid, you just don't know who will be hit hardest with the virus, it's a sneaky one for sure. Good health vibes for your Husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes it was odd that we each had variations of the virus.

      Delete
  14. Your prep was far more civilised than my husbands a few years ago. Medicine has progressed. I'm sure many will be relieved to hear your story.
    It's Celsius for me too. I don't know when NZ changed over but I don't get Fahrenheit at all. Still around 20 Celsius here but slowly getting colder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, was it an emergency procedure? Those have a different prep. Twenty degrees Celsius sounds lovely! It is three here, now.

      Delete
  15. Happy to hear your colonoscopy went so well. I've heard horror stories, though thankfully, I've never had to undergo the procedure. It's nice to hear it isn't as bad as some make it out to be.
    Wishing your husband a full recovery from the Covid aftermath.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such good news that your procedure went well. And I'm sorry to hear you've been sick. I hope your husband recovers fully soon. It's no fun being sick.

    It's funny you should mention that about holidays. It seems like Thanksgiving here pretty much kicks off the holidays. Traditions really set the tone, don't they? What I find baffling, is wondering how those south of the equator can feel Christmasy with Christmas in summer! They're used to it though, but it's fun tho think about.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Colonoscopies aren't what they used to be, are they? I didn't even have to do liquid but two flights of pills. Easy peasy. I think Canadians have the right idea with Thanksgiving. I hate the rush of having the two holidays so close together. All good vibes to your husband and his recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry to hear Covid has hit your home. Hopefully your honey will gain his energy back soon.
    I had the same type of prep for my colonoscopy and it really was'nt so horrible. It's almost nice to have a day where you have to stay home and chill out.
    It's weird when our kids grow up and they aren't always with us on all holidays; we have to share them and I'm not a fan either, but we must do it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is kind of you to write of your experience in full so that you might allay any fears that others might have for this procedure. I'm glad the result sounds so good. Take it easy both of you, this post-Covid business is hard on the body.

    ReplyDelete