Saturday 20 October 2018

Aging

Last night, after work, we gathered up my husband's mom from the old age facility / senior's home / nursing home (what is the proper terminology anymore?) because it was her 81st birthday. We presented her with a sumptuous box of fancy cookies which she can stash in her room and enjoy with her tea that is brought around in the evenings, and also with a very soft, fluffy long robe. She tends to feel cold most of the time and although she gets properly dressed every day, in the evenings she tends to change after supper into pajamas and settle down for a night of tv. Perhaps a new, cozier robe would be nice.

We took her out to dinner at a nice restaurant in a small town close by which reminded her of England, where she lived for several years and visited fairly regularly afterwards. Upon arriving, our waitress showed us the table (which they had prepared for her birthday with fun little shiny decorations on the table cloth and birthday napkins) and mother-in-law heard her English accent. Thus began the telling of her life story. Granted, my mother-in-law does have an incredible life story, one involving death, war, war camps, and emigration / immigration. However, to begin telling it from start to finish is just part of her affliction with dementia. The waitress, I must say, was kind and sweet and respectful and we did our best to wrap things up so that she could go on about her other duties.

Getting old is not for sissies, which is apparently a Bette Davis quote, is an understatement. My mother-in-law is incredibly healthy in that she doesn't take any medication, she is perfectly mobile, she has no impending medical procedures apart from getting her much needed cataract surgery, and doesn't even complain of aches and pains. Her mind, however, is a whole different ballgame. Dementia has robbed her of many memories, and when she doesn't remember, she tends to fill in gaps with fabrications. It is a coping strategy, I understand. As a coping strategy for my husband and I, we have deemed it "M.S.U." (making sh#t up) and we understand it, and accept it, and don't correct her. She also has no clue that she repeats her words over and over within the span of just a few minutes. We don't point it out. None of this is her fault, nor is it deliberate. Years ago, she stopped doing those normal every day things she always did, like making meals, cleaning house, doing laundry. I think she just forgot how, forgot the sequence of events, forgot the details. Then we realized she was worried about forgetting where she was and how to get back somewhere. When she was living in a different place, one that was more like a senior's apartment, she joined the rest of the residents for her evening meals. It involved taking an elevator and walking a couple of hallways. I created a step by step map for her. She hung onto that thing for dear life.

My own mother wrapped up her life as an immobile, pain ridden, demented individual. She required much more individual care than my mother-in-law and I believe suffered from Alzheimers which caused her to ask if Father was still alive (he wasn't), talk about being back home, on the farm (she was in the city, in a nursing home), and from time to time become an angry, belligerent monster due to frequent urinary tract infections (a bizarre phenomenon which I never knew about until it started happening to her). There were certainly times when we were able to visit with her and talk and she still knew us, her immediate family, right up until the end.

Aging. With dementia and Alzheimer's in my family, it is something I worry about. I actually don't worry about the other biggies like cancer or heart disease. We have a pretty good track record when it comes to those. It is the turning of my brain into Swiss cheese that concerns me. I still haven't figured out if there is actually anything people can do to prevent it or not. Decidedly, I could eat better, I could DEFINITELY exercise more (guilt, guilt, guilt). I do keep my mind active, a big part of my profession, so I'm not overly worried about that. How much do genetics play into this?  I probably don't even want to know the answer to that - too scary.

It is a good kick in the pants to live your life, and enjoy it, and treat it like it's your last day (within reason) because none of us knows what lies down the road. It is also a good reminder to keep your finances in order so that there will be money enough when and if you need the care later in life.

Have you been a caregiver to a parent with dementia? Is it something you think about? Is your family blessed with great genetics?

37 comments:

  1. My father-in-law had Alzheimer and dealing with it certainly shortened my Mother-in-law's life. The rest of our families have been ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think being a caregiver is an incredibly difficult job.

      Delete
  2. As my Mom enters her 82nd year I too am dealing with the MSU aspect of dementia and the endless loop of things she must remember, every 5 minutes. Next month thankfully Ive convinced her to move from an apartment in the independent area of her retirement community to the resident living area where she still her things, a smaller apartment and is in an area where she will have more daily support. I too wonder about the hereditary components.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's good that you have her moving to the next "level" of care. Not easy.

      Delete
  3. Jenn a great post. I like your attitude about dealing with your MiL's repeating & MSU. No one wants to be ill. My parents have not given me good genes, they both died young. On both sides, my grandparents, aunts, uncles lived long but in spite of that my GP refuses to move past the fact that my parents died young! I too worry about dementia of any type & I'm most hopeful that soon a cure or a staving off knowledge is discovered soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem that much headway has been made finding a cure or preventative, although there have been lots of silly notions over the years (deodorant, cookware, brushing your teeth with your opposite hand...)

      Delete
  4. Bless you and your hubby for understanding and doing a wonderful job of coping with your mother's-in-law situation. I'm sure if you were to constantly correct her (or get upset with her), she would become more and more confused/irritable.

    So far, our families have been fortunate to escape these dreaded diseases . . . although, of course, we jokingly question the personalities of a few relatives. Good genetics on my husband's side, not so much on mine.

    Trying to live healthy in all aspects of life is all any of us can do, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think it is far easier for me to be patient with his mother, and it was easier for him to be patient with my mother.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jenn, your post read like a story today, kept me very intrigued. I'm sorry about your mother in law. Dementia scares me. I really hope that the gene ended with your mom and you don't have to go through that. Though I never cared for anyone with dementia, one of my late pugs had it and it was heart-breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both my husbands and my family seem to have good genetics although my grandfather did have Alzheimers which I find scary as he was a very active man all through his life and kept himself really busy both mentally and physically.
    It's the one thing that terrifies me more than any other health problem.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jen,
    My MIL passed two years ago with Alzheimer's. She was a brilliant woman with a Master's degree in education. She loved to read and go on walks. Sadly she was reduced to a non verbal, staring little woman, with nothing in her eyes. I loved her very much and we miss her to this day. She loved to go on rides in my truck and I often think she is in the back seat with us. There is such sadness in this type of aging, and we pray everyday that our brains stay sharp and we just dye of old age. Thanks so much for talking about this today, as it has given me an opportunity for some reflective healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your story then goes to show that it doesn't necessarily correlate with keeping an active mind or body. I'm sorry about your mother-in-law.

      Delete
  8. I am eighty six on Hallowe'en and, apart from arthritis in my ankles, which makes walking difficult, I am well. I go out as much as I can, still drive and have a host of friends. My darling husband died last year (he was twelve years younger than me) but although I miss him every day I have the sense to know he is not coming back and I have to get on with my life. I play in a ukulele band and twice a month we play for Alzheimer's patients and their carers to sing the old songs. They - and we- get huge pleasure from that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, you are one of my inspirations, whether you realize it or not. I love that you go out and do things with friends and that you still drive. You give me hope.

      Delete
  9. Oh sweet Jenn, I do sympathize . My dad had some dementia at the last...always asking how we go to his house . He has us kids tending to him, mostly. I pray my kids are thinking of money when it comes to retiring. There's never enough, it seems. My mother had strong bones and a strong mind....but the was some cancer and heart disease. We all need to be patient with the elderly...for we shall be there one day. Hugs and blessings to you dear friend, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie. Sorry to hear that you dad also dealt with this (and your family).

      Delete
  10. My grandma and all her sisters and mother had breast cancer and my mom died of ovarian cancer. It freaks me out.

    This is a great site for anyone who cares for somoene with dementia. I used the ideas daily in my work. https://www.enhancedmoments.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, that's not great either. I know you've struggled with the loss of your mom. Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  11. This post would be better suited to Facebook. The rest of us already spend far too much time thinking about this shit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My family is not blessed with genetics. My mom had dementia towards the end of her life, she passed Jan 2017, I miss her at odd moments from time to time. For example I was in the Walmart washroom this morning and I thought of her when I got into the very stall I helped her into once.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grandparents were sharp mentally to the end....my mom was fine.....dad was starting to slip just a tad before he passed at 83 but not bad. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jenn... great post. Bette Davis was so right... it ain't for sissie. My Dad didn't develop dementia til the very end. I feel so awful for families where the Mom or Dad has been living with it for years. Your MIL is lucky to have a sweet DIL like you. I hope my girls bring me lots of cookies and fluffy robes and jammies. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Jenn, how sad. Aging is definitely not fun. And we don't know what to expect. I'd like to believe that I will grow old without any issues and then die peacefully in my sleep but who knows what life has in store for me. When I was volunteering in Kingston with the hospice organization, my weekly client was an elderly man with dementia. He repeated the same stories every few minutes throughout my entire visit with him. A lot of patience and compassion is certainly required, and that should come easy when we are reminded that that could be us one day and hopefully people are kind. My biggest worry for all folks with these illnesses is how they are treated and whether they are abused in any way since they are very vulnerable. It's heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've not had anyone close to me develop the degenerative brain conditions as my family has no longevity genes to speak of but my stepfather's father has a form of violent dementia which is just awful. He's confined to bed in a nursing home now, spitting bile, but if he was more able bodied he would be dangerous. Not a nice way to go.

    Mr P was reading only this morning that a new study has been released that says that inactivity is more injurious to long-term health than either smoking or drinking ... He's just heading out now for a long brisk walk!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My parents and parents-in-laws were sharp right up to ends of their lives. Dementia was just beginning to be part of my dad's life at the end.

    We live in a community for 55+ where we (in our 60s) are the new kids on the block. Our elderly residents are in their 80s and 90s, from the Greatest Generation. We always meet wonderful people. Dementia and Alzheimers is a big part of their lives, but care-takers are kind people.

    Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely sensitive story about your Mother in law..🧡
    Scary stuff this getting old...
    Hoping for good health...with no dementia...
    Enjoy your evening...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Obviously many of us have elderly parents that have experienced various forms of dementia and alzheimer's. In my own case, my Mother has Parkinson's, experiences sundowner's syndrome, depression and dementia. She still has it "together" most of the time. But, like you, we don't point out when she repeats herself, etc. What is the point in contributing to her anxiety (oh, yeah, she has that too). It saddens me, and at the same time I am grateful that the dementia hasn't progressed very fast ~ she is 84. I have no idea if I will be prone to any of it, so I cope by doing 2 things: I live for today. We make our own happiness! #2: I do what I can, like you, to live a healthy lifestyle. There's not much else for it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know exactly what you are going through and know your angst and frustration. God bless you as you deal with it all.

    I have read several times that your 'chance' of Alzheimer's is more likely if your siblings have it (rather than parents) because you have the same genetic makeup (provided you have the same parents).

    God bless you- I hope you have a wonderful Sunday. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can so relate to this post.
    With dementia and Alzheimer's in my family, it is something I worry about.

    I choose to live the LCHF lifestyle as I feel it may help diminish the chances, time will tell …

    Amy Berger (Tuit Nutrition Blog) has some interesting details to read if you'd like to.
    www.tuitnutrition.com/p/alzheimers_13.html

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. We must keep going - the other choice sux
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aging. I hate the thought. So hard, especially with the dementia or Alzheimers. I've seen that happen with friends' spouses and parents. I never felt so old in my life as when I couldn't walk well while traveling. It was a real shock and still freaks me out. Shattered my confidence. And I'm not THAT old yet...

    ReplyDelete