Wednesday 14 December 2022

Day Three of the Seven Treats of Christmas

 Tis a snappy cold day here, no snow in the air, but the threat of high winds and some ice in the next day or so. Thankfully I don't have to be on the road, but likely it won't be as bad as predicted.

Enough of weather (must be done, I'm Canadian), and onto today's treat: Sweet Marie Bars! This is mostly no-bake until the very end where you need your broiler for no more than two minutes. 

I am guessing these are called Sweet Marie Bars because long ago, in my youth, there was a chocolate bar called "Sweet Marie" which had peanuts and chocolate in them.


source

I'm pretty sure I have the correct "vintage" with this image, but maybe a fellow Canadian can let me know if this is what they looked like in the 70's (Debra? Martha? Rosalea? Maebeme? Patio? Melinda? Other names I've forgotten... sorry) 

Here is the recipe, front and back of the card:



Don't you love my high tech way of providing the recipe? Ahhh well, this is Blogger, not paid-for Word Press! 

Here is an assembly of ingredients, however I realized I did not show the butter/margarine or the vanilla.


Notice the no-name corn syrup and parchment paper (Ooops, sorry, just noticed I had the French side showing, think I did with the peanut butter as well), the store brand peanut butter, chocolate chips, and peanuts. I must clarify that I purchased the no-name stuff eons ago, not as a result of the beloved Galen Weston reaching out to the minions and maintaining the prices of his no-name items in an effort to justify his healthy Loblaw's profits as of late (but I digress...). The Rice Krispies are name brand because they were on sale, but any knock off variety would work just fine.

I decided to use parchment paper in the baking pan this time, as it will be a sticky mess trying to pry it out later. Here is a nifty parchment paper trick that I did not invent myself. To get your parchment paper to sit securely in your baking dish, instead of sliding around and shifting, rip off the amount you need, then crumple it into a ball.



Then uncrumple it, smooth it out a little, and it will fit nicely in your baking dish (use a bit of pleating in the corners to make it fit even better). 


Did you know you can re-use parchment paper? If I was using it to line a baking sheet for cookies, (and not to use for something sticky like this), I could use it over and over and it still does the trick!

Next, use a big enough pot to hold all the ingredients eventually, and put in your sugar, peanut butter, and syrup.


Heat this on a medium, or slightly medium high heat, stirring all the time until it is smooth and just starts to bubble, shifting it off the heat at that time so you don't start burning any of it. 

Then add the butter (I used margarine) and vanilla.


As usual, save money by buying artificial vanilla extract, rather than the much pricier pure vanilla extract. Unless you are making quite an exquisite dish that requires the real thing (or scraping an actual vanilla bean pod!), nobody is going to know the difference.


Then it is time to dump in your Rice Krispies (or similar cereal) and the peanuts. Your pot should be off the heat by now.



Take the time to really stir this well, coating everything. (Excuse the front of my stove on which the finish has worn off over the years of wiping it down ).


Dump your mixture into the parchment lined baking dish (I think it's  9 x 12?) and smooth it out, trying to get it as evenly distributed as possible.


Then sprinkle your chocolate chips on top and put the pan under the broiler for no more than a couple of minutes. I didn't even let my broiler come up to temperature, I just turned the broiler on and stuck the pan under it and the chocolate chips were soft enough after two minutes.


Once it's out of the oven, spread the softened chocolate chips as evenly over the top as possible, and let it cool. Cut into small squares and enjoy!


I still have ALL of my wrapping to do, almost all of my stocking stuffers to buy, and four more treats to bake. When I'm all done, this is how I will look:


For the record, I have completely given up on keeping that tree skirt in place and properly tied. Like last year, I will need to remember to leave a cat sized hole when I start putting presents under the tree. 

35 comments:

  1. Now that's a happy, relaxed cat! Thanks for the tip to crumple the parchment paper. Anything to make it more manageable. Sometime I feel like I'm in a real fight with it (and losing) to get it to stay where I want it. I did a big present wrapping session a couple of days ago. Two more small items were delivered since then and after those are taken care of, I think I'm DONE! No Christmas goodies baked here yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done with your wrapping!! I’ve also read that you can put a bit of water ( a few drops, not enough to accumulate) in your cake pan for instance, and your circle of parchment stays put on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of Sweet Marie Bars but those sound delicious. Love the Christmas Cat! I am surprised our Scruffy doesn't go after the tree but he hasn't paid any attention at all except when his toy goes under there. Have a wonderful Wednesday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember an older rendition of the SM chocolate bars, that were not vacuum(?) sealed in plasticy type paper as your picture shows, but in easy to rip off paper. (Time frame...the 60's) I used to deliver loaves of bread that my mother made, every Tuesday and Friday after school. One Friday customer was a lovely older lady who owned the grocery store from whence my mother purchased 100 pound bags of flour and groceries, which were delivered. It had old, creaky wooden floors, a wooden counter, and an unique aroma. (BTW the bread was .25/loaf). This old lady always gave me a SM bar when I delivered her loaf. Once, the bar had mealy bugs(?) in it when I ripped the paper off. What a disappointment that day was! She was a favourite customer....perhaps because of the treat which I would never have had otherwise.
    Thanks for the memory jog! Love that Murph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to go to two stores when I was little that matched your description right down to the “ unique aroma”!

      Delete
  5. I love the parchment paper trick. The bars look delicious. I need to get some wrapping done also. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can’t take any credit for it, but it does work well!

      Delete
  6. Cat so very cute. Talk about a relaxed approach to Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fun day in your kitchen! I did something similar only with Kamut instead of rice. So fun, either way, to play. Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have great desert/treat recipes that require no baking. Given my lack of skill, these recipes are perfect for me. Thank you for sharing. Murphy, posing under the tree is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next one WILL involve actual baking but I’m glad you’ve liked these so far.

      Delete
  9. Aw...Murphy! I love the idea that you leave a space under the tree for him.
    Yes, that is a Sweet Marie bar - they were one of my Mom's favorites, the other was dark chocolate bar (the name of which I can no longer remember).
    The recipe sounds delicious, and I appreciate the tip for the parchment paper.
    I won't share my opinion of Galen Weston.... ;(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree with you regarding the artificial vanilla essence! I once had the real stuff (a gift from a traveler to Brazil) but my daughter knocked it over and half of the bottle spilled all over the counter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the parchment paper trick! That is going to come in handy over the next week or so!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's looks like an easy one that I could manage. I might give it a try as I am hosting Christmas Eve this year. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome- I hope it turns out well if you do decide to try it!

      Delete
  13. Yes, that's exactly how a Sweet Marie chocolate bar looked back in the day! They were one of my faves, along with O Henry and Mr Big. Do they not make Sweet Maries anymore? It's been so long since I've had one, I don't know!

    Thanks for that crumpling parchment paper tip!

    And don't get me started on Galen Weston. Every time I see him on a commercial with his "wide-legged male power" stance, I could just slap him. I have the same reaction to Justin Trudeau who adopts that same stance every time he's at some international meeting or another. Tone down the testosterone, boys. Everyone takes you seriously, don't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they had stopped making them. I guess I should check the next time I’m standing in a grocery line!
      But do you really think they are taking JT seriously?

      Delete
  14. I'm so happy you have a normal cat and I won't feel unhappy with all my former kitties who could not keep their paws off the skirt, the tree, the decorations or the presents!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry I don't remember Sweet Marie chocolate bars but I like the sounds of this recipe - the Rice Krispies with caramel & chocolate will do it for me. Your kitty under the tree is looking oh too precious. Don't get me started on Galen, he has a face you would never tire of smacking over & over again ... but that's a tale for another day :) ... Mary-Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you good with the peanut butter as well? Yes, Murphy finds all sorts of good sleep positions.

      Delete
    2. Mr Man is a peanut butter fan, so he'll like. When I make a new to me recipe for the first time, I rarely substitute ingredients, although I wonder if almond butter & sliced almonds would work as subs ... ummm maybe two batches are in order!!! :)

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! That looks delicious. You are a busy bee. I've been looking like your cat for the past few days. I'm starting to feel better and I may actually do something! Or not. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's the best Christmas cat photo ever! Murphy? Since Lizzie is "unreliable" (though she hasn't strayed from her puppy pads) I put a gingham plastic tablecloth under mine.Just in case! Hopefully in a few days it will be covered by presents!

    The recipe sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What amazing baking. Much more interesting than our fruit cakes or Greek almond biscuits!! Yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Lordy, this looks positively sinful. Pardon me while I drool. Have a wonderful Christmas and Happy, Healthy New Year, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember Sweet Maries with great fondness. I hovered over the Oh Henry's and Sweet Marie's many times in my youth trying to decide which one I wanted more.
    I'm enjoying reading about your Christmas baking. I'm hoping it will motivate me to do a little of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember Sweet Marie bars. That and Oh Henry were my fathers favorites. Thanks for the tip for the parchment paper. It has long been my buggaboo

    ReplyDelete