Sunday 23 October 2022

Summer in October

Yesterday and today, the temperatures were summer-like. It was such a beautiful day yesterday, husband suggested we take advantage of the weather and go out for one last drive in his convertible which will be taken off road at the end of this month. We "toodled" around north and west and gaped at the trees which are still putting on a magnificent show. 

We ended up at this set of falls. We've been here before, but this time, being as it was late October, there weren't as many people. Many of these spots have become such tourist traps, with people driving for a few hours to spend a weekend, or even a day. It was nice to have the peace and tranquility and watch the water. There were a number of fly fishermen, which was nice in itself. 



 






Today, I took a couple of pictures of our maple trees which are gently shedding their leaves.





I don't think I could live contentedly in a place where the four seasons are not defined and distinct. I was reflecting to my husband, as we were driving around, that I was very happy that I had time at my grandmother's / uncle's dairy farm as a child because there was always something to do, something to look at, something to help with. I never sat inside and watched tv when there were new calves to look at, or a ride on the tractor to be had. He mentioned how there must have been a real rhythm of the seasons on the farm, and yes, he was right. Maybe that's why seasons are so important to me. Each one has its characteristics that I would miss if I lived elsewhere.

Today I sat on the back porch and watched my bird feeders. The chickadees were flitting around, back and forth between other trees and the feeder. They were content to have more than one chickadee at the feeder at once. Then I witnessed how territorial nuthatches could be. I love nuthatches and how they come down the tree head first, grasping the bark in their little clawed feet. These two nuthatches chased each other from tree to tree and in amongst the branches of the huge blue spruce in which the birdfeeders hang. A junco showed up and fed mostly from the ground. It was the wrong time of the day for the loud bluejays. The squirrels are out in full force. We have mostly black squirrels, bouncing along the grass. I can hear them rustle the leaves as they move. I know they are burying walnuts everywhere. I will find them in the late spring as I dig in my gardens and window boxes. 

I have to come to grips with not being able to clear up my perennial beds this fall. I'm still healing, and it is coming along, but I don't want to push things. I know it will all be waiting for me in the spring when the snow melts, but I always like to be able to cut back my peonies, and any tall perennials, and even do some shrub trimming. I look at the sea of uncontrollable black-eyed Susans and shudder to think of all the seeds that are falling into the soil, to then make more uncontrollable black-eyed Susans. But sometimes you just have to put things on the back burner. 

My husband was taking advantage of the weather today and cleared away some firewood that had been piled close to the chicken run, from a tree that had come down last year. He uncovered some cat nip. Murphy kind of lost his little cat mind and rolled, chewed, rolled, chewed some more. Then he came in for a snack and went back out again, no doubt to do some more rolling. 

It's Sunday night, and for me that means watching the newest episode of "Island of Bryan" (called Renovation Island in the States) and the newest episode of "The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch". To me, Skinwalker Ranch is just the American UFO version of  Oak Island. That series starts up again in November. Husband and I keep joking that THIS will be the year they find the treasure! 

Hope you all enjoyed your weekend and weather was lovely where you are. 


21 comments:

  1. If they find the treasure they will be out of a program to make... You have the real treasure as you are so right about the changing of the seasons, not just temperatures and colours but also the way the light changes (especially in autumn) and gives a kind of rich glow to those peaceful calm days when you watch the fly fishermen on a quiet stream. You captured it well. Anyway leaving the perennials will be good for those birds - they might clean up some of the seeds for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, they wouldn't have that show anymore, but I noticed they are involved with other treasure hunting type shows as well.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a great ride out Jenn. I like those falls. It is also good weather here and I have been eating outside most days except when we had rain of course although even then it has been warm. I appreciate the seasons too and being in a farming family I see the importance of the weather to the growing seasons and can pinpoint different years and the weather and how it impacted on a particular harvest. I am glad to hear you are coming along well with the healing and felt able to go out for that lovely drive. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, little by little things are progressing and the day out was beautiful.

      Delete
  3. A good trip out...and I am with you on the seasons!
    We haven't started filling out bird feeders...as we won't be here in the winter that would be cruel...and there are other bird lovers in our area.

    A friend of ours makes "plague rats". ..a black cloth toy rat, stuffed with valerian and catnip....when my daughter had two cats, they HAD to have one each!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some lovely autumn activities! Yes, definitely, take it easy and recuperate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also enjoy the seasons and Fall is my favorite. The trees have been really terrific this year and your maples are a good example. I love that vibrant color against the blue sky.
    Glad you are healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place to visit. I can easily see the attraction for tourists but like you, I prefer fewer people.
    We had winter here yesterday with freezing rain, snow, ice pellets - it's a real mess out there today, but should be gone within a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What gorgeous pictures! I never get tired of seeing the trees changing colors, although, I mostly have to enjoy from others’ pictures. We don’t have very many beautiful maples here that let off those colors. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree entirely, the 4 distinct seasons are wonderful. Your drive to view beautiful water flowing swiftly and Fall colored trees sounds spectacular. Your photos are excellent. I also like Renovation Island. Their aesthetic is my aesthetic. Have you seen the home they built for themselves? It looks like a large very grand cabin in the woods. Murphy tripping must be hilarious. The garden will be waiting for you in the Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Renovation Island so much, I usually watch it twice!! Love your Fall pics, Jenn. I pray for quick healing for you.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have entered winter here on most of the prairies, or at least the bottom half of Saskatchewan has. Beautiful pictures of your trees.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The falls are beautiful. I can see why people drive to see them but like you, I would prefer them un-peopled. I said the same thing to my husband yesterday about seasonal change. It might be nice to not have to get out different clothes, do all the prep for winter, but the changes in seasons, well, they make a nice change of pace. Often they also offer opportunity to reflect, take stock, appreciate, and be more mindful than perhaps we would in an unchanging climate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenn I thought it was McGowan Falls at first, but you said north. Very pretty area & it was such a beautiful weekend. I like the little look outs they have along the river bank. As for your garden, I am fast moving into the same mind set; what doesn't get done now, doesn't get done. I stopped yesterday to watch the farmer begin his corn harvest & it gave me pause to reflect the seasons. ... Mary-Lou =^[..]^=

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was so happy to read you are doing well. You are right to take it easy and leave the garden work until spring. Personally, I do very little fall clean up in my garden. I rake some of the leaves to appease the neighbours but those that land on my garden beds get to stay. I don't cut back the perennials either. Years ago, when I first got into gardening, someone I was learning from told me they loved the look of dead perennials poking through the snow. From that point on I left them and I have to admit, I also enjoy the sight of my brown, and seed filled perennial heads poking through a blanket of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you listened to your body and took heed, holding off the garden clean-up till spring. It might even be easier then to pull out the old. I'll tell you, I was doing mine the past few days and my back was telling me stop before I started listening to it! So glad you are feeling well and on the mend. I'm with you on multiple seasons (though I'd be happy if winter was six week and the other three a little longer. Can't have it all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad you are feeling well and being kind to yourself. Fall cleanup can always wait...just enjoy the fall moments without feeling guilty! Lovely pictures! I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful day out! The photos are gorgeous. The weather has been quite amazing, and we might as well enjoy it for as long as possible. Before we know it, winter will be upon us. It's great that you took it easy and didn't push yourself unnecessarily! Everything that needs doing can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too am glad of your news.
    When I retire I want to return to a place with four seasons, particularly fall. I miss it so.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is that time of year for swings in the temperatures, isn't it. Your outing looks wonderful. Isn't there always something about being close to water that is calming to the soul.

    ReplyDelete