Sunday 4 September 2022

Planning on Canning

 This year I had a very successful tomato crop. They are now ripening beautifully. I planted some Roma (plum) tomatoes as well as regular kinds like beefsteak and an early one (??). 

I’m am getting myself ready to do some canning tomorrow which fittingly enough is labour day here in Canada. 

Of course for the past thirty years or so I would have been in full on “ get ready to start teaching again “ mode, would have already been back in the classroom for at least a week, dragging furniture around, creating bulletin boards, planning, labelling, photocopying and so on. As well when the kids were younger, there would have been shopping for clothes, assessing the state of lunch containers, renewing school supplies, and all the other things that went along with getting them ready to return to class. Or perhaps loading up two vehicles to move them away from home for university or college. 

The timing of ripe tomatoes and the task of turning them into chili sauce, salsa, or just canned tomatoes always coincided with an incredibly busy, exhausting time of year. But I still managed to do it. Obviously I had more “gumption “ in those days!

Alas, I have the time now. This is what my countertop looks like at the moment:


There are more tomatoes still on the vine that need to ripen but this is a great haul so far. 

I’ve dug out my old trusted and true Bernardin canning book.


This book is older than my daughter! I’m planning on making seasoned tomato sauce. I’ve made it before but maybe only once or twice and of course, I’ve added my own handy notes.


I’ve checked the canning supplies and should go out today to buy more sealing lids. I have jars, retrieved from the basement, in the dishwasher. I have my own onions from the garden and plan on adding my own basil to the recipe. I have garlic that a friend grew herself. I’m looking forward to this! 

I’m contemplating mustard pickles later in the week…

20 comments:

  1. Interesting this tradition in Canada and the US - it never seems to have caught on here in the UK. I don't know anyone who does it. Some folk bottle but not many. We make chutneys and jams but that seems about all. Hope all goes well. Wish you lived near enough for a sample.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That surprises me as I think of people in the UK being avid gardeners. Chutney isn’t a big thing here, but definitely jams. I’d happily give you a sample!

      Delete
  2. I started my canning yesterday with Bread & Butter Pickles. This morning I just pulled 9 pint jars of strawberry jam out of the canner. Now I'm looking up recipes for Stuffed Green Peppers 'cause I'm not satisfied with the filling recipe I've been using. (But I freeze those.) Hubby is threatening revolt because he loves them just the way they are. Hmmm, what to do, what to do. Sure wish I could grow (and ripen!) tomatoes the way you can, but without a greenhouse or hot house in our location, it's a waste of time. Last year we grew four pots of tomatoes in the newly constructed chicken "solarium" but that was enough only for fresh eating. Someday . . . the greenhouse of my dreams and tomatoes enough to can! Happy to hear you will have an abundance this year, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greenhouse of your dreams- oh yes! A friend of mine got a green house two years ago and this year she has had so many tomatoes that she’s at the point of not wanting to process/ freeze anymore. She started them in the greenhouse and then planted them outside. They all did so well in the greenhouse that she felt she needed to plant them all. Honestly though, it was such a good growing season this summer- best in years!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fulfilling enterprise! I've never canned anything, but I know my aunt who lived in the country did. I'm not supposed to eat tomato sauce/paste due to the acid, but do like fresh tomatoes! Enjoy your canning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me sad for you - no tomato sauce or paste. I come from a tradition of canning and freezing.

      Delete
  4. I remember watching my Mom canning when I was a little girl. So much work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my mom too. I do far less now but used to have jars and jars of jams, tomatoes, pickles, salsa… My mom froze a ton of stuff, too. I remember her boiling tons of sweet corn and cutting the kernels off to freeze. She made apple sauce too. But she grew up on a farm, and that’s just what everyone did.

      Delete
  5. My soul swoons. If I should see retirement I insist on a place where I can again grow tomatoes and have a bounty like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it not possible where you live? ( forgive my ignorance). There is such a sense of pride and accomplishment in growing and preserving your own food.

      Delete
  6. Ooh, that all sounds yummy. My tomatoes weren't great this year (too hot, I think) but I may have enough for some salsa and perhaps green tomato chutney later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tomatoes are so beautiful! I've never canned anything and I love that you have your 'trusty bible' to assist you. Enjoy the project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoy the harvest. Canning, butchering, freezing, and dehydrating. It feels good to be self-reliant. I also have a canning book older than my nieces. It is stained and written on. Enjoy your day tomorrow. I can't wait to hear how everything comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am looking forward to getting some bottling done.
    It is yet another thing my grandmother taught me! I think it is slowly regaining popularity here. One problem is sourcing decent and affordable jars. So many places only sell cliptop with plastic washers instead of screwtop preserving jars with rubber seals, and only the latter give you a dependable seal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly have a great haul of tomatoes - enjoy your day of canning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tomatoes look fantastic. Tomato growing seems fraught with challenges in Massachusetts. Canning produce allows you to enjoy fresh homemade goods all year around. Nothing is better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, your tomatoes look amazing! I bet they taste great, too. I hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our tomatoes are finally ripening. I do can salsa, but freeze tomatoes and tomato sauce instead.

    Hope the canning went well today.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You certainly have had a bumper crop of tomatoes. I miss having at least one tomato plant, nothing like picking one warmed by the sun to make toasted tomato sandwiches; at least I do have my own Basil & Rosemary. ... Mary-Lou

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jenn. It must feel a little odd not to be getting ready for school this year. Retirement does take some getting used to. Those are some beautiful, unblemished tomatoes. Hope you could get the lids you need.... there are none available in this neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete