Sunday 2 February 2020

Feb 2nd, Groundhog Day, Netflix series

Wiarton Willie, an odd albino little rodent, has proclaimed that we will have an early spring. Here's hoping, but really, the choice is between "early spring" and "six more weeks of winter". In six weeks, it will be March 15th. In my part of Ontario, it is always still winter by March 15th anyway, so this whole ground hog prediction is just a bit of foolish fun anyway.

After a visit with my sister coming here and then leaving yesterday afternoon, I've had a pretty restful day. I spent way too much time watching tv, specifically Netflix. I had begun watching the series called "Line of Duty" a while ago and loved it, but stopped because Canadian Netflix only offered the first couple of seasons. I noticed a little while ago that it showed there were new episodes of Line of Duty, so I started watching it again. Oh my, what a well done series, with twists and turns and references to previous seasons, intrigue, mystery, suspense, you name it. It centres around a section of policing that investigates internal crime - dirty members of their own forces. If you are looking for a  great series that you can really sink your teeth into, I highly recommend it!

Son was home for the weekend which was nice because he got to see his aunt, and we had a little visit, but he spent quite a bit of time with his own friends which I am happy that he was able to do, as he doesn't see them as often, being away at school. I made an early supper, and then he and his dad checked the oil, added windshield washer fluid, and he was off to drive three hours to return to his college.

We had lots of heavy, wet snow today, but it seems to have stopped now, this evening. I'm sitting here, having handed the tv remote over to husband, who sat/ snoozed through some of my binge watching and he is now watching some YouTube video of two guys finding an old beat up British sports car and  making it over again to resell it. Now it's my time to zone out.

*** Want to add, that yes, I messed up and called the series "Line of Fire" when in fact it should have been "Line of Duty". Duhh. Thanks to the commenter who gently pointed it out!! I have now corrected it. ***

21 comments:

  1. I was binge-watching too - Howard's End on PBS. I must look for Line of Fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look for that series, there is so little worth watching on the tube these days.....
    We had wonderful weather this weekend, it was close to 60! I could not tolerate the winter as long as you do ~ I hate being cold, although I love curling up next to the fireplace and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a perfect day for binging on anything ... for me it was making a mess at my craft table. I've not seen Line of Fire. The Mayor in Wiarton seems to have been a bit muddled about Willie NOT seeing his shadow - funny video of the do over. Happy week ahead, there's more snow coming ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a lovely, overcast day here. Mr. Groundhog saw no shadow, bless his little heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be thrilled to have an early spring. I do hope it happens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love an early spring, but here in northeast Ohio we can have the fiercest snow storms at the end of March and even early April, alas! I'm glad you had a nice visit and then a quiet day today and that your son had a good visit. Thank you for the recommendation of Line of Fire. I'll have to check and see if our Netflix has it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankfully we only got a light skiff in the upper Ottawa Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to have had family visits. Wish we had Netflix. We do have YouTube of course and videos about doing up old cars are very familiar. personally I prefer videos on knitting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummm I think you are referring to "Line of Duty" - not Line of Fire. But have to agree - a really, really good series - just binge watched series 5!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had the same wet snow here in northern Minnesota that you did. Why does it snow at 35°? Shouldn't that be rain? Oh well, glad it was snow as rain this time of year on top of all the snow on the ground would have made a real mess.

    The only "binge-ing" I did this weekend was with the seed catalogs. But now have all in place for the garden seeds I need to order this year. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some useless information...
    The original Wiarton Willie lived to the advanced age of 22,
    and was found dead only two days before Groundhog Day in 1999.
    The organizers were unable to find a replacement, and instead
    marked Groundhog Day by revealing "Willie" in a coffin...
    He had been dressed in a tuxedo, had coins over his eyes, and
    a carrot between his paws. The real Willie had in fact decomposed,
    and the body in the coffin was that of an older, stuffed groundhog....
    Amen to that....! :o).

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like a lovely weekend filled with love and family and we all need that! Three cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The thing about winter is we get to slow down and have weekends like this. How perfect it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do hope we have an early Spring here in New England. It sounds like you've had some wonderful time with family. I don't have Netflix, but I do have cable and old reruns. I also enjoy curling up with a good book. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish my wifi was better at my house so I could binge watch some Netflix stuff....my daughter let me know Grace & Frankie is back, so I'll use up all my data on that....but right now I'm binging on This Is Us, which I had recorded to my DVR....I cry every single episode, what a big sap!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oddly, we've had a mild winter in Connecticut so far. Much easier to do barn chores around here, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We finally watched 'Contagious' last night on Netflix. It is based on the 'SARS' scare featuring a lot of big names.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I find the groundhog predictions so funny. 6 more weeks of winter or spring in 6 weeks. Duh. Around here (SW Nova Scotia) we are still waiting for winter to hit. I'd like a good dumping of snow. We are supposed to get a three day storm starting tonight. But it's of rain.

    I love grace and Frankie on Netflix. Lily Tomlin is the best. One ringy dingy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jenn, I won't be seeing spring until May. I have grudgingly accepted this fact...very grudgingly! Those groundhogs are messing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had to smile about the checking over of the car before sending it off with that precious cargo. When our kids came home, hubby did the same along with a few questions about how it was actually running. If February flies by as fast as January did around here, it will feel like an early spring regardless of the weather.

    ReplyDelete