Tuesday 5 April 2016

Whatever the weather, we'll weather the weather...

The title of this post is not my own. It comes from a poem, but I do not know who the poet is. We have had such weather... I am expecting frogs or locusts soon. First, everything melted and we got rain. A lot of rain. And yes, there is a big industrial size blue hose snaking its way out of our basement window out onto the lawn where water gushes when husband goes down and turns on the pump.

I pulled over and took pictures of some of the flooding on my way home from work last week. Nobody is in danger, here, but any low lying area, or river is currently flooded.



Next, we got snow. Everything froze up and was covered by snow. It came down gently, it came down thick(ly?), it came down sideways when the wind blew. I took some pictures this morning.

Thankfully the sun came out and some of the snow has begun to melt. I do not know what we have in store for the next few days. I am not naïve to think that we won't get more snow. I do know what a Canadian April is like. I remember my daughter's birthday at the beginning of May to have snow. In fact, I remember Mother's Day snow (usually 2nd Sunday in May) (which kind of squashed my thoughts of going to a garden centre and buying hanging pots).

What's the latest snow you remember?

12 comments:

  1. Hello, I am visiting from Tessa's blog this morning. What a nice blog you have here. I'm going to put it on my list to visit regularly. It's always fun to discover new blogs. I was reading about your cat. I hope that you find a friend for it. I have a Jack Russell and I'm continually telling my husband that she needs a friend to play with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Peggy! I love it when new people find my blog. -Jenn

      Delete
  2. Yikes!
    I was complaining about our weather, but I think I'll stop now. Canadian Spring sounds far too challenging for this Southern girl.
    Spring is taking its own sweet time coming to the Virginia's Shenandoah Valley. It was snowing some this morning and the temperatures (and wind) feel more like March.
    The latest I remember having any measurable snow was April 6 (but, I can't remember which year) We have had hard freezes in late May more than once.
    Thinking warm thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Virginia, but it sounds like I would take your weather over ours! -Jenn

      Delete
  3. Hi Jenn, So whatever happened to our beautiful spring weather we had in mid March? Oh Jenn, I know that blasted feeling of running a hose form the basement window. We have done that very thing here. Now, we are just cold...this morning was 27 degrees and last week we had some warm days. I am hoping your snows and waters go away quickly. The super high winds we had here help to evaporate some of our rainwater . Blessings, xoxo,Susie
    p.s. love you forsythia header

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, More weather is due this week, calling for sleet. (good grief) The forsythia picture is old, my forsythia right now are still shivering. -Jenn

      Delete
  4. I remember a snowstorm in June when I was in my early twenties - it didn't settle of course but it was jolly cold while it lasted.
    Incidentally we have a saying here in the UK about bad weather - there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong kind of clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like that expression! When I lived in Nova Scotia along the east coast of Canada for a year, their expression was if you don't like the weather, wait a minute. -Jenn

      Delete
  5. This is definitely SO Canadian. You don't know what you'll get from one day to another. Yesterday I woke up to snow. It disappeared quickly and today it's sunny and beautiful, albeit it a little cool. We're tough, we can take it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are tough. Snow, blizzards, fog, sleet, hail, rain, tornadoes, humidity... bring it on! -Jenn

      Delete
  6. We moved from Texas to Mass. a couple of years ago. I positively hate the snow!! We just had a storm a couple of days ago. Counting the minutes until Spring. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how cold it looks. If this were January I would love it! I hope Spring shows her beauty soon for all of you! Lovely pictures....great photography! Stay warm Jenn!

    ReplyDelete