Saturday 16 April 2016

meet our new little guy


We made a kitten decision. I'm still hoping this was  the right  decision. We answered another ad but these people were nice and normal. The woman who posted the ad did so on behalf of her elderly  neighbour for whom she does household work. We had a choice of three cats. They were not tiny little  kittens, but instead  they  were  a few  months  old. The two calico females were  both  very  skittish and did not  want me to even touch them. There was a male, born in October, so approximately six months old. He had  long fur and let my husband  and I pet him and  pick him up. He was not a tabby or orange, but  was black and  white  with an enormous tail. He also looked much bigger than the little  females  and the older gentleman  told us his father was a big cat. We were keen to have another big cat because we enjoyed our Boots so much. He was more like a dog than a cat.

So we took the plunge and adopted him. We have had him for not quite three days. So far the positives are that he interacts with us sometimes, letting us pet him and pick him up. He's eating  fine. We are  keeping the  two cats separate but  Sampson has seen him and they have heard each other. I have read that  it is important  for your resident cat to get to used to a new cat's scent, so while Sampson  is outside we let the little guy walk around and explore  the den. Normally we keep the new kitty out in the mudroom because there is no carpet or furniture to scratch. The floor is tile and easy to clean up which is good because up until now  he has  yet to actually use either of his two litter boxes!! Yes, two. Each is a different size, colour, and has different  litter in it. He gets close, but won't actually do his job right in the box. He doesn't even like it when I put him in the box and scratch his paw around. I am hoping he is just still  a little  stressed  and will come around soon.

He tends to hide quite a bit but we can retrieve him and pet him. He has a good purr, but it will stop abruptly if a noise scares him. Again, I have to remind myself that he hasn't even been with us for three full days and everywhere he goes he smells Sampson  which must be freaking him out. Wish us luck.

May I introduce...Scooter.

Look at that tail. He has been cleaning my floors!

Action shot playing with crumpled paper tied to a shoelace (high tech toys!)































9 comments:

  1. HAHAHA...look at that tail. Adorable. He is so cute! Yes, please give him some time. He's in a strange environment and there are the scents of the other cat. I'm sure he's pretty stressed right now. I hope the litter box stuff gets settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha. Once he is more comfortable, I want to introduce a cat brush to him. I think he's going to need some extra grooming with all that fur!

      Delete
  2. Sounds to me as though he is going to settle in alright - give him time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Weaver! We have already seen even more comfort in the last few hours.

      Delete
  3. Oh that tail. Perhaps he has a bit of Maine Coon in him. :-))))

    Hope he works out.

    Gentle hugs,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget to spray his tail with Endust...LOL.. I used to tease my girls about doing that to our cat. Scooter is so cute and I love the name. :):) Blessings to all, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a little darling! I know this will be a sweet addition to your family...pretty soon, your older kitty will adopt him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is a very beautiful boy and I am sure will settle in with time. We took in an outside kitty who had been around for months. She would not use regular litter so I got a pine scented scoopable litter and that has been a success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I actually went out and bought a different litter box (smaller, coloured plastic) and put different litter in it. I always thought cats don't like scented litter, but who knows, maybe it's what he was used to as his previous place. (I'm going to have quite a stash of kitty litter at this rate!)

      Delete