Friday 20 October 2023

Regular Life

 The world is crazy enough, so here’s a whole lot of boring old normal:

- I cleaned out the chicken coop today and spread the contents in my vegetable garden to be tilled in for spring.

- Yesterday was Nana’s 86th birthday ( my husband’s mother) and we brought her to our place for supper and watched the Croatia episode of “Somebody Feed Phil” on Netflix. She was born in Zagreb and now has dementia but still has some memories of long ago.

- We drove daughter to a city about an hour away so she could take a train to another city and then finally to Ottawa to see a friend from university. This was her first time doing something like this ( we are very rural and don’t have public transit). The autumn colours were still lovely.

- I finished reading Ann Cleeves new book The Raging Storm and enjoyed it very much. I take books out of the library which is twenty minutes away.

- Why is flea treatment so bloody expensive?? It’s ridiculous.

- I recently discovered the series, Doc Martin. I am now recording both new and older episodes.

- My husband recently did my rear brakes and my parking brake. He does almost all of our vehicular maintenance, being self taught over the years. 

- We are going to a big city about eight hours away for a memorial service/ celebration of life for my husband’s uncle next weekend. Things like this wear me out even if I’m not the one driving. I really am more of a homebody, perhaps even an introvert. 

- This morning I got up earlier than my husband and when I went back upstairs to our bedroom a bit later to get properly dressed ( and he got up), I opened the curtains and looked down at the yard. Within about a minute I saw a red squirrel find a walnut and leap along the rail fence and into the trees with it, a nuthatch hopping head first down our big old spruce tree, and a big cottontail bunny jump up our cement steps to our little front porch. I joked that it was Peter Rabbit coming to ask if we had found his little blue jacket and that husband should go down and open the door for him. He did, but the bunny was gone.

- I made fried eggs, fried mushrooms, and little breakfast sausages ( which I despise but son and husband like) for supper tonight. I’m always looking for ways to use up eggs.

- That’s it. I hope you too have a normal ordinary weekend! 

23 comments:

  1. Regular life is the best! Full of quiet moments to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what it comes down to... not the big life life events, but the regular every day stuff that brings contentment.

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this post. Give me this normal always. You are loving and sweet to fix foods the men . I miss cooking for my Ted, so I rarely cook just for me. I make quick and easy for myself. Hope your daughter has a great time. It would be wonderful to have coffee on the porch with you Jenn. Blessings to all, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to hear from you, Susie! Yes, I imagine it is odd to cook for just one now.

      Delete
  3. 8 hours is a very long time to drive. And then all that interaction with husbands relatives. I would not be looking forward to it either. I hope you're having a few nights in good hotels.
    Lovely stories of little critters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, nope, we are staying with one of his cousins. We are only there for two nights and then driving back home. It is a long drive, but certainly not unheard of here in Canada.

      Delete
  4. Nana is doing very well... I hope she had a really enjoyable birthday.

    If you two are travelling to Australia any time soon, pop by my house in Melbourne. My own husband knows sod all about cars, so I would love to meet yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Australia! Nana did have a nice time, but unfortunately she won't remember it. Husband isn't afraid to tackle most things, but it also means we have a very full garage and shed (tools, materials, bits and pieces).

      Delete
  5. I'd call this REAL life. Much more interesting than the chaos that's being promoted out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! That is just a breath of fresh air, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll take quiet regular days any time. I want a few days strung together of no appointments, no need to drive & quiet solitude. Hopefully your trip will be one of easy driving, solid connections & a joyful return home. ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No appointments for you to get to would indeed be lovely!

      Delete
  8. That header shot with the hydrangea is really great. Love my normal days, but they really buzzzz by fast, Monday one day then Friday the next, lol! Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post! With all the chaos in the world, it is great to enjoy the hearth and home routines.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am a bit of an introvert and a home body. Do love to read and may check out your Ann Cleeves' book. Not much of a traveler either although we are going for a few days to visit family soon... bittersweet... want to see them, but more comfortable staying home these days than traveling. Love watching the wildlife outside... and would love to see more pics of your chickens. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your real life. No war! All good. I hope you like Doc Martin as much as I did -- it helps, watching in order. Each episode is self-contained but the relationships evolve. I love Ann Cleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely day and week. Have a great day tomorrow, including more eggs for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like boring old normal. :) Like you, I had rather be home than any where else. I was looking back at your posts and love the fall chicken pictures. Your hens always look fat and healthy. Do you have a rooster? Sometimes I think maybe it is the rooster that keeps my hens so ragged looking. Your hens are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rooster here. Hens definitely get rather beat up looking with a rooster around. Also, none of mine are molting so that helps.

      Delete
  14. yes yes yes to boring old normal. I am relieved to know you got some.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We also get a lot of library books. Isn't watching nature fun? We don't get many rabbits, but one year my husband and I watched a baby bunny race back and forth as fast as he could go on a little dirt trail. He was so cute. I hope your daughter enjoys her journey. There is nothing more enjoyable than shaking things up and having breakfast for supper once in awhile. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete