Tuesday 20 June 2023

New Additions

 For those of you who enjoy my chicken posts, you'll like this one. 

A while ago, I had phoned a hatchery to see if I could order "ready to lay" hens. This means they are about eighteen weeks old. Yes, I could order some, but they were sold out of the special breeds that I was interested in. I was put on a waiting list, just in case some people backed out of their initial orders. Instead, I ordered four Sasso chickens in the silver colour. They are a dual purpose breed, meaning they are fine for egg laying or for eating. Nobody gets eaten here, however. 

About a week ago, I got a call from the hatchery reminding me of my pick up date, and also letting me know that the waiting list paid off and was I still interested in the other breeds: Lavender Orpington and Noiran (a Maran cross for those chicken ladies out there). Well, yes I was, but I hadn't intended to buy that total amount, as I didn't think I had proper room for fourteen new birds. I currently only have two old girls, one of whom does not lay at all, and the other occasionally lays a soft-shelled egg. (Remember, nobody gets eaten here).

In the end, I decided I would still get the four Silver Sasso hens, as well as three Lavender Orpingtons and three Noirans. Yesterday was the day to pick them up. I had two cages ready and husband and I took a road trip an hour and a half away to pick up the new girls.


Here are the four Silver Sasso hens. 



In the larger cage were the Lavender Orpingtons (the light grey) and the Noirans (black with copper coloured heads).


When we got home, they were put inside the coop without the two older ones so they could acclimatize and understand that the coop was "home" (although I might be attributing too much thought into a chicken). 




Initially they huddled in a corner, standing on top of each other, being scared. Little by little, they moved apart and spent an inordinate amount of time pecking at the walls. The black hens (Noirans) are the most inquisitive and "smart" and figured out food and water first. They others slowly followed suit. 

Later in the day, I opened their little chicken door to provide them the opportunity of going outside in the run, and for the two older ones to check out the youngin's. That went pretty well, there's always going to be a bit of tussling. 

The older hens (like many who are getting up in age) retreat to their roosts by 7:00 p.m. (even though it is still light outside), but the young ones stayed outside in the run, or moving about in the coop until at least 9:00 but eventually everyone went in. Most haven't figured out the roosts yet. That will come. 

This morning there was lots of squawking going on before I got out to open up their little chicken door. One of the old ones is quite disturbed by the infiltrators now and gripes and complains whenever she gets the chance. Later this morning, as I was going to check inside the coop to see how things were coming along, I was shocked and amazed. 


There was an egg on the floor of the coop, rather small. I think it was laid by one of the Noirans (black feathers) due to its darker brown colour. I wasn't expecting eggs for another four weeks or so, according to their approximate age, so that was exciting. 

So there you have it, chicken fans. I now have ten new girls and two geriatric hens, for a total of  twelve in my flock, with five different breeds. It's a proper back yard flock now!

28 comments:

  1. I am envious. We al)ways had hens (and a cockerel )on the farm - now no room and I can't walk so my henning days are over. I love the grey ones with black heads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting that there was an egg already. They're beautiful birds, all of them. I'm sure the older hens were accustomed to the quiet and like any old person they're likely hollering for the rest to pipe down. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now on day two, my barred rock (one of the older ones) has decided she doesn't like them at all and is being a bit of a jerk.

      Delete
  3. I am not a chicken fan though I was brought up on a small holing with dozens of them. I am a fan of eggs though. Go girls go!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be nice having lots of eggs again. Husband is a big fan, too!

      Delete
  4. They look very beautiful hens. I love to see hens and whenever I have had them I have grown very attached like they are members of the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When our children were young most of the hens had names. They were much more tame then, too, as the kids would sit with them and pick them up. I’m trying to get these girls used to me so I can have that experience again. We had one Rhode Island Red named Martha and it was sad when she died. I think I might name another one Martha this time.

      Delete
  5. Will look forward to hearing of their progress. Such unique breeds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing your chickens and will look forward to updates on them! My daughter has had chickens off and on... she had a coop, but they were allowed free run of the property during the day. Her hens were very friendly... some would sit on your lap. One would take my French fries when sitting on her front porch. However, she did have a problem with owls and rat snakes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! And such pretty girls too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are very pretty ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to have to go out at night and lift all the pullets onto perches to teach them how to roost. Great news getting an egg first day. They are fine looking chooks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is no better egg than a fresh farm egg. Congratulations on your new additions.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your new hens are lovely and they seem to be settling in nicely. They must like their accommodations and have already given you a fresh egg.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful hens. I know little to nothing about them, except they must be good or they wouldn't be yours! Happy eggs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good that they are a dual purpose breed of chicken, but unless you have experience in killing hens, I would be delighted if the eggs were simply delicious, healthy and readily available.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The new girls in the flock are certainly interesting colours - so pretty. I hope they reward you with lots of eggs to enjoy. It will be interesting to watch the relationship of the feather girls develop into a pecking order. Reminds me of the grade three school yard (lol). ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good looking, colourful birds. You will have lots of eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First time to visit your blog. I tried to buy a lavender one this year, as a chick, but the lady said someone at the store had already bought them. Your flock looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Exciting development! I hope you're rolling in eggs soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. An egg when not expected!!! I love the colours of the new arrivals, so pretty.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I plan on getting hens when I retire. This, I am quite interested in your thoughts on the different breeds. I can't wait to hear more about your ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What lovely girls. I too have a new girl today and two new girls a week ago. I was supposed to have the three at once (they were delivered) but they missed one last week so said they would be back this week with her. I too got an egg from one of the first two new girls on the first day. If you would like to take a look as you have visited me occasionally before I am - Carol's Chickens. No need to read but scroll down through three posts to see first today's new girl then the main flock then the the other two new girls. All bantams.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow -- congratulations on your first new egg! I'm glad things are settling. Your chicken stories intrigue me -- loved the photos and the story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What fun! I always enjoy your chicken posts.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice ladies! I added to my aging flock also. I went down the rabbit hole with this one. I am now about to launch 24 pullets and 2 cockerels to the big coop from the make shift one in the shop. They are almost 6 weeks old and are huge and healthy. Total now in flock 38. Somebody shoot me please !

    ReplyDelete