Wednesday 7 June 2023

Early June Morn

 A June garden makes everything right with the world. 

Here is what is blooming this morning in my front perennial beds.


The first of the delicate very pale pink peonies, which then fade to almost white with pale yellow centres. The darker pinks follow later in the month.


Beautiful purple irises with their golden yellow beards have been in bloom for a little while now. Some have toppled over, but they still provide shots of colour in the beds.


I love these purple Siberian irises so much that they were a part of my wedding bouquet.


Back to the bearded iris, or iris germanica, these pale yellow ones have been around in my gardens as long as I can remember. I'm sure I had them at our house before this one, too. I like that they aren't a glaring, bright yellow, but a softer touch of colour.


If I was going to have only one flowering shrub, it would be the weigela. This one is just starting to open up and is literally covered with buds. I can't remember which kind it is, perhaps Red Prince?


I have so much of this and other cranesbill, that I could literally provide a shovel full of this plant to all of the people who read this blog and still not feel the loss. It fills spaces beautifully, doesn't care about soil quality, never suffers from insects or mildew, just a solid, good best friend of a plant. 


The edges of our property are pretty wild, with grape vine and tall grass and thistles and whatever else encroaches. This is wild phlox, don't know if it has a fancier name, that just grows on its own. It can either be considered a weed, or a free shot of colour and the bees love it.


Lastly, I will share the new arbor that husband built a little while ago. There used to be a flat topped arbor there for years and years, but over time it started to rot at the base and had a pretty scary lean to it. It had to come down last year. He built it with posts and rails that we already had. Handy guy, husband is.

My garden provides me with so much happiness, contentment, exercise (ha ha)... I couldn't imagine having to live in a high rise apartment in the city with no yard, no dirt to dig in. I'd likely fill my windows and balconies with plants. Do you have any of the same perennials? 

35 comments:

  1. I have nothing like that blooming in my yard and wish you would pop down to Illinois with some of your excess plants to give my garden a boost! :)
    Well done to your husband on that lovely arbor! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had that superpower of teleportation I’d be there in a moment!

      Delete
  2. We love them all - peony roses, irises (in particular the bearded ones - such delicate veining in the drop petals), and the cranesbill in particular. Only irises have not thrived in our garden - the slugs and snails eat them up which is a shame as they are F's favorite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pictures. Would the "wild phlox" be Dame's Rocket? That arbor is just beautiful. No smoke over your way? We are inundated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I just looked it up on my phone and walked over to it to compare. Yes, it is indeed Dame’s Rocket. It also said “ invasive plant” but I already knew that!

      Delete
  4. The flowers are lovely! I have only a peony that I planted in the back yard a couple of years ago. It has a bud on it this year so I'm hopeful I'll see a bloom. I can't recall what color it is, so that will be a surprise.
    My perennial bed faces north so is full of shade tolerant plants. The bergenia is finished blooming, the chives and lamium have started and the clustered bellflower has buds. Later I'll see blooms from the various hostas, the columbine, and maybe the balloon flower I planted this spring. The ferns are looking particularly full this year as we've had lots of heat and rain already.
    Your husband did a wonderful job with the arbor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just reminded me, I used to have little clumps of lamium. What ever happened to my lamium? Who knows.

      Delete
  5. We would go crazy with no garden! Even in a student bedsit I had herbs on the windowsill!
    I have early irises in one pot. I love perennial geraniums! I have one wegelia but the intensity of the red in yours is gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as a university student, I dug up these horrible big yucca plants at the side of our rental house and planted petunias!

      Delete
  6. I love your flowers , especially the irises. They ve just finished here.
    The arbour is wonderful. You have a very handy husband

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is indeed very handy. I’ve often described it as a blessing and a curse!

      Delete
  7. Jenn, All your flowers are pretty. My mom's favorite was the purple iris. So she would love yours. Your hubby built a very sweet arbor. Blessings for fun filled summertime. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s funny, I don’t think I own a stitch of purple clothing and would never have it as part of my indoor colour scheme, but I do love purple flowers.

      Delete
  8. Your garden is thriving beautifully. I love your large clumps of flowering plants.
    I also have bearded and siberian iris and peony beds. Like you, I could not live without having gardening space. My hosta is nearly gone because the deer eat it to the ground and over time it disappears entirely. Your husband built a great custom arbor and it makes a very nice passage to another garden space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some hostas, too. I didn't feature them. Poor things, they don't get much attention, probably because I'm not a fan of their blooms (I cut them off!).

      Delete
  9. Your garden is wonderful. I love the arbor, just perfectly situated.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magnificent flowers! And what a beautiful arbor handcrafted by your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to have flowering gardens, but no more. I remember yellow bearded iris, as well a purple. Very old flowers, very satisfying to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are old, traditional flowers. I like that.

      Delete
  12. I love it all! The arbor is fabulous! I also have yellow iris from my grandmother's garden. My cranesbill geranium was also a mainstay and then it disappeared. Funny the evolution of a garden. The tour was wonderful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evolution of a garden is a great way of describing it. For example, I used to have a lot of dark, wine coloured bearded iris. Now I think I only have one or two clumps. Did I dig them out? Did they get some kind of pest or disease? And probably the more important question: why don't I even remember?

      Delete
    2. I also have some and I noticed today that they are getting too much shade and probably won't bloom.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the tour of the garden. I really like your new arbour. I cannot believe how much further ahead your flowers are than mine & you are further north than me. I also like Siberian Iris. I have been nursing my one Japanese's Iris these last two years with hopes that it will bloom again. Such a fussy plant. Thanks for the review & endorsement of the Cranesbill Geranium ... I was about to rip mine out. Yes as the climate changes I need to be more respectful of those beautiful plants that thrive without much watering attention. ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up Japanese iris. I don't think I've ever had any of those.

      Delete
  14. Oh my, Jenn! It is gorgeous beyond belief. My iris never really take -- I don't know if they are in a bad place or what. And I so love yours and that terrific color. Wonderful. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie! I don’t know why some of my plants thrive and others don’t. My gardening style is survival of the fittest!

      Delete
  15. Yes Dame's Rocket......my yard is full of them.........I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sure enjoyed the garden tour. I need to look into Cranes I'll. It is new to me, but somptetty. Those kind of filler plants are so useful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely garden you have. I love the Iris, but mine did not bloom this year. I have one that is so purple it's almost black. I guess they are not happy where they are. I would much rather be outside always. I try to get things in order somewhat inside just to be outside on nice days, although a rainy day with umbrella is just fine with me too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such beautiful irises and I'm always digging out our Cranesbill.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your husband is very handy, agreed. But even better, he turns his skills to make you happy in the gardens! He's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete