Thursday 25 August 2022

The quiet where I live

 I am, right now, on my porch, Harry Bingham book on the cushion beside me. I feel contented and peaceful and think about the quiet of living at the edge of this tiny village in midwestern Ontario. 

I realize, however, that it isn’t quiet. In fact, there’s a lot to be heard, noticed. I can hear the distant crowing of a rooster ( they don’t just crow in the morning), the triple call of a crow, the hum of a hummingbird that has visited almost every blossom in my mixed pot of flowers - petunias, geraniums. The neighbour’s son just started the four wheeler and is carefully driving away. There is a slight breeze making a soft rustle of leaves. The crow and the rooster aren’t letting up but other twitterings of birds, sparrows I think, add to it. And underlining all of the sounds is the incessant chirp of crickets. If I were on the porch on the opposite side of the house, I would likely hear more road sounds, the occasional deep rumble of a motorcycle, and about twice a day, the self-impressive squealing of tires as someone in the village peels away from their parking spot. I still don’t know who it is.

There is so much to hear, and at the same time so little.

14 comments:

  1. I just read your previous post and I was popping in here to say I'm so glad you're getting the care you need and deserve, as well as some peace of mind. You've got this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That peacefulness will help you on your journey. You are so right though no matter how peaceful things seem there is always the sound of birds, bees, leaves rustling and crickets.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glorious, what we hear when we really listen. I'm glad you have this time to just "be." And to listen to the sounds around you and to your wonderful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With your numerous and varied beautiful plantings, the birds, insects and wildlife must be drawn to your property. It is nice to stop and take notice of all the subtle sights and sounds in our surroundings. I also like looking at the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your summer is quietly winding down; not so many responsibilities in the garden and time to listen to it talk to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just sitting with that kind of mindfulness for your place can feel really connected can't it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that was lovely sitting on the porch with you and listening to your sounds. I have that peace now and again. Its amazing what you can hear when it seems as though nothing is stirring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is good to sit still and just listen

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just beautiful, Jenn. I am sitting right beside you, your description so well written. It is very similar here, sans the traffic noise. We just heard the rustle of raindrops in the poplar leaves, advancing toward us, and now it is pouring on the roof overhead, as the daylight grows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love how you write. Felt like I was sitting right there with you. A lot like the sounds I hear here....until Dan and the dogs decide to join me on the porch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a lovely setting. I like to sit quietly and listen to the crickets. It's one of my favourite sounds. For some reason, it stirs emotions in me and brings back childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful; thank you for sharing your world with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just reading in a book today that a woman, she lives alone, finds the ordinary sounds of her world very comforting. Some of those sounds just remind of us home, and some have other memories attached. I think you've just spurred me into a possible blog post as well.

    ReplyDelete