Wednesday 9 February 2022

Thankful Thursday

 I am thinking of beginning a Thursday post called "Thankful Thursday" where I think back to people in my past that I would like to thank, for one reason or another. 

Today, if I could, I would thank my uncle. He was an unmarried dairy farmer with wiry muscles and big tough hands with cracks in the skin and at least one blackened fingernail. He brylcreemed his hair back and once a week, he would tidy himself up and go to the local town for a few drinks with his friends.

I would thank him because he always seemed to have time for me, a little timid girl who tagged along, watched him work, asked him questions, and road on the fender of the tractor when he took loads of fresh cut grass for the cows. He took the time to show me a new batch of kittens and patiently let me give buckets of powdered calf starter to the calves. He showed me how to get the calves to suck on my fingers and then lower my hand into the bucket, so they could learn to drink from the bucket. 

He listened to me practise my speech for school over the sound of the milking equipment. He used the green hose in the milk house to wash off my rubber boots with hot water. He let me make what was probably the worst cup of instant coffee for him when he popped into the house for a moment before heading back out to the barn.

I had parents who loved me and took care of me. But a great deal of my childhood was spent at the farm where my grandmother and uncle lived. I loved the animals, the repetition and predictability of the daily chores, the changes of the season on the farm. I even loved the smells. I loved the river that ran through the farm and fishing with bamboo poles and pieces of summer sausage as bait, waiting for the cork to be pulled down from the surface of the water. I remember walking up from the river, fish swinging from the hook, holding the pole and looking around to find my uncle so he could take the fish off the hook for me!

He took me with him in the farm truck to pick up what was needed from the feed store. Sometimes he stopped in at the very tiny, like-you-stepped-back-in-time general store in an even smaller hamlet and let me choose a treat - pixie stix, or shoe string licorice, or bubble gum. 

No doubt my uncle was busy most of the time. He prided himself on the neatness of his entire operation and rarely sat idle. Yet, he made time for me and never made me feel like I was annoying him (although I likely was) or taking up his valuable time. I was not the only niece of his. He had other nieces and nephews. I was the youngest of all of them, so I assume he made the same time for any and all of them when they came to the farm. 

And so for all of that, Uncle Boyd, I thank you.


21 comments:

  1. Wonderful Jenn. Just wonderful. Loved it. It jiggled some memories of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely tribute to your Uncle Boyd! He sounds like a very special person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful memories. Thankful Thursday looks to be a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Uncle Boyd sounds like a great, salt of the earth kind of guy. Every kid should have someone like that in their childhood! I really like your idea of posts thanking people from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody should have an Uncle Boyd. Your childhood memories of your Uncle and the farm are heartfelt and lovely. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was such an enjoyable read. Your descriptions were so vivid. I felt like I was right there watching Uncle Boyd work. I wish I'd had an Uncle Boyd in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenn, I loved this... both the Thursday idea as well as this post. I too spent summers on my aunt and uncle's farm when growing up and it affected me the rest of my life. I loved it... learned to love nature and animals, farm fresh food, old swimming holes, drinking water from a tin ladle, and real feather beds. Thanks for helping me remember too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He sounds like a wonderful uncle to have had. I can picture him on the farm with his mother. A scene that is repeated the world over around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, Jenn. What a wonderful person and even better uncle. Being on a farm as a child is such a great experience. My grandparents had a small farm and I spent a lot of time there, as you did with yours. Unforgettable experiences. I think Uncle Boyd was an angel for you. Every kid needs someone like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing Uncle Boyd with us. He seems like a gem of a man. I never got to spend a lot of time with my uncles since we lived so far away, so it is nice to hear of other people's experiences with their uncles. Truly a blessing to have Uncle Boyd in your life.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely tribute to your uncle.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this memory. It made me think of my batchelor uncle Eddie who was much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a rich memory. How satisfying to pull it all together for your praise.

    ReplyDelete

  14. I love this story, and your idea of thankful Thursdays too! I too had an Uncle (who was married with 4 girls and 1 boy) who had a very successful dairy farm. We loved staying with them, and doing what we could to help with chores. Best of all would be homemade ice cream my Aunt would make from that fresh milk, yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous story. Such great memories. Thank you for for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful rich memory of your Uncle. He was a blessing in your life & couldn't we all of have used such a kind man in our lives, who understood what children need most is time, attention & love. ... Mary-Lou =^[..]^=

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful that you had such a loving uncle. I enjoyed hearing about him. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are great memories to have. He must have loved you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too think this a splendid idea; any updates on which you feel thankful?

    ReplyDelete
  20. You were so lucky to have such a wonderful uncle. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  21. To have such an uncle life this changes your life.

    ReplyDelete