Friday 25 December 2020

Merry Christmas

 

source


It is now the night of Christmas and all has been good. We had our turkey dinner on Christmas Eve, so our children's long time boyfriend / girlfriend could join us. It was very nice and the "kids" played various games and their dad and I were happy to putter around and enjoy the laughter from the next room. We ended the evening with everyone playing Monopoly. Monopoly can really drag on and I, for one, was glad to be bankrupt so I could exit the game! 

This morning was lovely. It is funny that now we, the parents, have to wake the kids up on Christmas morning. We had a leisurely time of opening presents and enjoying ourselves. It turned out to be a white Christmas after all, with big feathery flakes coming down all morning, and afternoon. Now, when I look out at 9:56 p.m., there is quite a blow happening. I'm glad none of us have to be out driving in this. We did not gather with extended family. My husband's mother is in a nursing home and we were able to talk with her twice on the phone. She received presents that he had dropped off a few days earlier, so that was good. I have no idea when she will receive her vaccines, but it will no doubt be very strange for her to finally be able to leave and visit with us in our home, whenever that will be. 

As of tomorrow, Ontario will be in lockdown for 28 days, but of course there are exceptions to that. I will be teaching online for the first week after Christmas holidays, but then we are supposed to be back in schools (so the 28 lockdown does not apply to us). We will still be able to buy groceries and go to pharmacies, and I will still be able to purchase my chicken feed. I know many of you are in the same boat. 

To wrap up my post tonight, I will tell you what one of my presents was. I received a vacuum cleaner. Please don't feel sorry for me or think that my husband had quite a nerve purchasing a vacuum. I picked it out myself and even ordered it. My old one was not up to snuff and I really wanted to try this brand of vacuum - Shark. It's supposed to be as good as Dyson at half the price. Husband assembled it for me and I took it for a whirl today. Oh my lord - to see what got sucked up out of my area rug and out from between the cracks in my old hardwood floor in my kitchen - you'd think I have never cleaned the place! Yikes. It makes me ridiculously happy.

I hope all of you have had a good Christmas, in whatever way you wished to celebrate it, whether you were on your own doing things on your own terms, or you had a small gathering of those in your home, or something entirely different. Let's wind down this month, this year, and look forward to vastly more enjoyable times in the future. 🎄🎅

23 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! Enjoy your vacuum, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a wonderful noisy Xmas day. The sun shone and we were all in short sleeves. Our game was trivial pursuit and like yours it went on far too long. They always do but my team won so can't complain.
    I would love to have your vaccum, can totally understand your excitement as it sucked stuff from all the cracks. Enjoy your cleaning!
    Wishing you and your family all the best for this holiday season. Health and happiness to you all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, we had vacuum cleaner-chat yesterday, too, haha! They are joy givers. Love your header photo and your card - it ticks all the tree house fantasies that sit just underneath the surface of my adult self. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooO! Monopoly! Monopoly! Monopoly!
    HeHe! Love it! Have'nt played it in years,
    but, l have been a Monopoly champion..
    Never lost game..ever..even with the other
    three players joining forces to beat me! :).
    And l always got out of prison free...! ;).

    My daughter's on her way down from the Midlands,
    there in tier 3, we're still in tier 2 down south,
    so all o.k. to travel and visit..Though London and
    the East is in complete Lockdown! :(

    So our Christmas dinner etc will be tomorrow...
    I managed to get a whole New Zealand leg of
    lamb..which l'm about to prepare, making a
    special marinate, letting it rest, ready for
    tomorrow!
    We'll have a typical Sicilian session, sit
    down about midday, and finish up about 6~7...!

    And yes, lets hope 2021 will be a good year, and
    things start to change for the better.."Onwards
    and Upwards" that's what l say...! :O) God Bless!
    🤶 🎄 🦌 🎁 ⛄ 🎅 🎄 🦌 🎁 ⛄ 🎅 🎄 🦌 🎁 ⛄
    PS..What's a Vacuum Cleaner..! :o).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a good Christmas. It was just the two of us ( we are tier 4 ) but video calls and phone calls with all the family. We too add our wishes for a better 2021 for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lovely couple of days. Since we celebrated ten days earlier it was quiet day for me. I spent a good part of the day watching sports and going through photo albums, and searching information on Ancestry.

    As for the vacuum - I think it is a wonderful gift!

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a great couple of days. We are celebrating today. With Nurses and first responders in this family we have to be flexible on when we can all celebrate together. Have a good rest of the holiday weekend.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful Christmas with your children. Pogo and I spent time with each of my kids and their families via my Portal. I got this for Christmas one year and it's been a blessing. I don't really miss out on much of anything now. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas! How nice to have visitors. We opted to move to New Mexico 25 years ago, so we can't really complain that no one wants to drive 12 to 14 hours to come for a long weekend, haha. Because I am still working, and the idea of driving this time of year is not exciting, we usually spend time on the phone with family. But this year, being what it is, most of us were home without visitors on Christmas day.
    In my humble opinion, the only time items like a vacuum cleaner are ok for Christmas is if you really want/need it. I've done the same, but gave my spouse a critical eye and made sure to mention that this is not the sort of item I desire in the future. He laughed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah! A good vacuum. That would be on my list except Hubby has refurbished our old one, and I feel bad even suggesting it! Glad you had a good time with your family, and some snow! Now, if we could just get some sun. Best wishes to you for this season and the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a lovely Christmas, and many joyous memories. I enjoyed the festivities but I'm glad they're over. I had a great time cooking and baking, and I loved watching everyone open their gifts, and for sure I loved opening mine. Your vacuum cleaner sounds great. Happy New Year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just the three of us here yesterday . . . and it was a lovely, relaxing day. Although my husband isn't a "card player" or "board game player," our daughter has introduced us to Mexican Dominoes (which requires a special set of dominoes) and he agreed to play last night and liked it! I know just how excited you can get over a new vac that does a good job. I got a super-duper toaster oven last year for Christmas and I use it probably four or five times each week. I feel so virtuous not lighting the big oven to bake a casserole or pan of rolls or whatever. It's the little things that sometimes feel like big things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a lovely day with family. We did get together (despite the restrictions) but were very careful and observed all the rules. So, fingers crossed. I got a new vacuum recently with the same results! It's a "pet" vacuum so has been good for all the cat hair. My present was a new bread maker. Can't wait to try it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Monopoly? Don't you mean Monotony? :)

    Your holiday sounds nice. I do hope your MIL will be able to get the vaccine soon and enjoy being with her family again. Hopefully by next Christmas we'll all be vaccinated and this nightmare will be mostly over!

    There's nothing wrong with a new vacuum for a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anything is better than a Dyson, from personal experience. My day yesterday was as quiet, or more quiet, than any other day. I'm still reading Obama. Up to p.301 now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a big Shark and the little one, too, and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Please tell which Shark vacuum you purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Christmas sounds just right. We bought a Shark vacuum because of Eli and his long white hair. It is absolutely wonderful! Could not manage without it. When it wears out, we will get another one. I am hoping and praying for a much better new year for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a really nice Christmas! Have fun with your new vacuum. I would ask for something like that. Works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, first when I started this, I thought, Oh, what a lovely holiday. It sounds perfect, the kids around on Christmas Eve. Monopoly (though I know just what you mean -- it's a really great game. Till it's not.)

    But then I just laughed out loud -- and you know why. The vacuum. Guess what I got for Christmas? A SHARK!!!! After my vacuum died, I would borrow Rick's (and not often enough!) It's such a good vacuum -- I know what you mean, when you look at that cannister and think, "Gee, it didn't look that bad!" I love it. I didn't ask for it, but I wanted one and had even thought about asking for one since I borrow it so often.

    So glad your holidays were happy ones and I hope the merriment continues for a few days. Now, keep pushing that shark!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, good for you, a woman after my own heart! Wishing you a Vaky Sharky Christmas!

    ReplyDelete