Saturday 19 December 2020

Behold!

 You know how one thing happens and then when you go to deal with that one thing, it turns into a few more things, and before you know it, it's become a whole other thing? 

Last night, I was putting something away in a kitchen drawer. When I went to push the drawer back in, there was resistance, like something was caught at the back, so I pulled it out again and the thing that was caught descended down into another drawer. So I pulled that drawer out, but in doing so the thing then hit the floor behind that bottom drawer. Then that bottom drawer no longer pushed in all the way because of something that fell behind it. I had a look and not only was it the one thing (a plastic accordion-style folder that we stick receipts in from probably four years ago), but in fact quite a collection of things that all came from "the junk drawer" at the top. These things have been falling for a while now. There was some kind of a double ended phone cord, some Chinese food menus, two bundles of cheques, and the aforementioned folder. There was no way I could reach with my arm behind the bottom drawer to get in and get those objects, and thereby be able to push the drawer back in.

I explained my predicament to husband and asked where his "grabber tool" was that he has out in the shop (sometimes used when screws and other small parts fall where they shouldn't when he is doing whatever he does on vehicles). He had a look around, showed me where he usually keeps it, declared it wasn't there anymore and that he had no idea where it was now. Also, I should stop looking around so much in case I see a Christmas present he has stashed out there.

Night came, I left the drawer (which is my baking drawer by the way) half-way open and went to bed. 

Morning came and the drawer was driving me nuts. There had to be a way to take it out. These are soft-close drawers installed a few years ago which up until now, we have never needed to take out. Of course, this one was right up against a wall and at the bottom. I went trolling around on the internet because there is a video for everything. Well, no, there's not. I watched videos about other kinds of drawers, I watched videos from the company that made these drawers describing all their wonderful features and how to install them, I watched one video in a whole other language with subtitles, but none of these helped me and I got more and more angry. 

Husband was up at this point and said he would try to find out how to remove the drawer. After a bit of video watching, he started fiddling around with the drawer. I had emptied it already, the counter top now overflowing with containers of flour, sweetened coconut, half bags of raisins and walnuts, half bags of brown sugar,  four, yes four, boxes of semi-sweet chocolate squares, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, little jars of sprinkles, partially used squeezable icing tubes in various colours... you get the idea.

Husband then decided it might be easier to try things out on a drawer that wasn't so far down so he could look underneath and see the mechanisms, so I emptied out my plastic container drawer. At this point, I used an empty laundry basket to hold all the bits and pieces of that drawer. Husband continued to roll around on the kitchen floor, making inquisitive sounds, exasperated sounds, finally positive sounds. He removed that drawer! Yay! So then he proceeded onto the original bottom drawer which he was also able to remove. Yay! Now it was my turn. I moved all of the junk drawer items that had fallen down to floor level, grabbed the vacuum, cleaned the inner recesses, saw how disgusting my floor was, cleaned that part, noticed my baseboards right beside that, wiped those down, realized the inside of my baking drawer was pretty scary, vacuumed it out and wiped it out as well, continued on to wipe out the plastic container drawer, and then told husband he could put the drawer back in now.

He did. It didn't close properly. It kept hitting the drawer above. He fiddled around some more and eventually declared that the drawer above it needed to come out and could I empty that one, please. Sure - that was the tea towel, kitchen cloth, oven mitt (and kitchen scale and huge container of double A batteries) drawer. All that now got dumped on the table, drawer came out, husband continued to fiddle around. He was successful. 

By now, I'm realizing I have WAY too many tea towels and kitchen cloths. I started purging. Get rid of the ones that are shredded. Get rid of the ones that are clean but have stains that have never washed out. Get rid of the cheap crap ones that don't actually absorb anything. Move those ridiculous bright orange Sham-Wow cloths (whatever happened to that guy?) somewhere else. Seriously contemplate if we need to keep that tea cosy that we used to use twenty years ago and haven't used since.

Then I tackled plastic containers. I take a lunch every day, and of course, there's always left overs to stash away. I put all the bottoms out on the counter and tried to match tops. If a top was found, it got to stay. If a top was cracked, it went away. Why do I have so many jar rings in that drawer?? Where do all the bottoms go? Why do I have so many extra tops, but no bottoms?

And the baking drawer... I decided to use large zip-lock bags and labelled them "raisins and other dried fruit", "nuts and coconut", and "cake decorating". This helped to at least organize and contain some things. It's still a pretty full drawer.

I also looked at the junk drawer. I had purged some items from there a while ago, but I did another small purge. I still have about twenty keys which are lacking doors to open. 

In the end.... BEHOLD...


my plastic container drawer which will never look like this again. 


Here is the tea towel (cloth, scale, oven mitt, battery, and yes, tea cosy) drawer. Not quite so immaculate, but much better.


Joanne, do you see your towel in the place of honour?

I'm not showing you the baking drawer or the junk drawer. A girl has to keep some secrets. 

I really wasn't what I was planning on doing with my morning, but there you go. 

54 comments:

  1. This post made my blood pressure start to rise when I contemplated my own kitchen drawers! I'm afraid to even start on any of them because of just the scenario you described.

    I noticed Joanne's tea towel right away! Mine are always in use. Aren't they just the best? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet every single one of us relates totally to your post. We all have collected 'stuff' that we might use some day and never do. So happy to go on your purging journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband fully believes in hanging onto things, and there have actually been times when that has saved the day. Ughhh.

      Delete
  3. Having just recently taken everything out of all my kitchen drawers and cabinets, cleaned, purged, reorganized and now can't find a thing, I can truly relate to your tale. At least I didn't have any trouble with drawers getting stuck, not coming out or fitting back in. And, yes, everything is related to everything else. Or so it seems sometimes. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything?? Holy cow. That's a big task. I don't know what my next one would be. Oh, maybe the pantry closet. Good for you!

      Delete
  4. I'm amazed you accomplished all that in a morning, vs. the whole day.
    That dish towel sure looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately these types of items seem to have a life of their own and breed indiscriminately! But the drawers do look great now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonder how many other drawers are going to be emptied and cleaned after reading about yours??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those "junk drawers" and we all have them are nothing but trouble and aggravation. We don't know where to put the junk in our lives so in the "junk drawer" it goes. But do we really ever use or need any of that crap we stash in there? Hardly ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have junk drawers. I bet some of us have junk closets and even junk rooms!

      Delete
  8. One of the joys of blogging is that now and again it highlights the similarities of our humdrum, everyday lives. I was emptying a kitchen cupboard yesterday that was packed with stuff that had not been taken out since it was put in about five years ago. None of it, though, looked like it ought to be thrown away. Philip K Dick had a word for it: kipple. I don't know if he made it up but it's a great word, I think. There were indeed a few takeaway menus that had fallen out of the back of the drawer above. Not sure what to do, I stuffed the lot in a box and put it in the spare room. The reason I was doing this is that I don't hold with panic buying in crises so I've been gradually stocking up on tinned food a bit, not knowing what would happen to supply chains here, what with us leaving the EU in the middle of a pandemic! It never rains but it pours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kipple. I'll have to remember that. We did some "Covid buying" back before March (husband was warning me it was going to be bad) and there's some stuff we haven't even used yet (and no, we didn't hoard toilet paper). Canned and boxed goods are good for a long while.

      Delete
  9. One of the best things about moving house is that this kind of thing usually happens during the packing and again in the npacking and putting away. Always a chore but then for a while it is good to open the drawer and just look ad gloat at how neat and tidy. Make the most of it - it doen't last long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot even imagine packing up this house and moving. Husband's garage / shop would be a nightmare. Well, a lot of things would be a nightmare. You're right, however, that a lot of items would go by the wayside!

      Delete
  10. Job Well Done :-) I am convinced plastic containers breed in the night & dark of a cupboard. I had to raid my own baking stash this season, so that has taken care of some of my baking cupboard. Just think you are ahead of the game for the Christmas break tidying. ... Mary-Lou =^{..}^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have baking to do, so my supplies will go down in these next few days. I really wasn't planning on doing a big tidy on my first day of holidays - haha.

      Delete
  11. I can SO relate to husband rolling around on the floor examining the 'under-pinnings' of the drawer, talking to himself..sometimes swearing a bit! You made me laugh out loud! Yes, whatever happened to Vince, the Sham-Wow guy? Your drawers look lovely, and I recognize some of the containers, as I have the same ones. Bet it feels sooo good to have that all organized!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had something simular this morning with a "leaking" fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhh. A fridge clean out. Yup, that can happen when you don't intend to, either.

      Delete
  13. That made me laugh. (You need to move house, that's a sure way of getting rid of clutter.) I bet you feel proud of your fresh, tidy drawers now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A purge is good once in a while. We just moved and I think we purged a quarter of our belongings and unused and unnecessary.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you just moved. Purging a quarter of your "stuff" must have felt great. Sometimes half the problem is where to take it / how to get rid of it. I'm looking forward to an adult child moving out permanently. Here's your boxes of important keepsakes and toys. Oh, and take this casserole dish and frying pan, too. :)

      Delete
  15. I was hoping you were going to say that when you finally got the bottom drawer out, you found husband's grabber tool jammed behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been good! If he ever does find it, I'll do a post about it.

      Delete
  16. I can relate! And this reminds me that it's time to purge some things. Time for a de-clutter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We're not sure what is more satisfying - the clear-out you plan (like my mother's annual 'spring-cleaning'), or the one that is forced on you when you were thinking of spending your day differently. I suspect the second actually and occasionally used to 'plan' my Saturday to start with a single task (like doing dusting) and see where it lead. A whole day later weird jobs, small repairs, culls, even some gardening... satisfying tasks you'd never imagined had been done both inside and outside the house. It sounds like you had one of those - and it was even satisfying to read about. Have a great christmas (and enjoy your baking now).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I would love to have a drawer that would hold all my plastic containers as you do. I also would love to have the time to do some of this particular style of cleaning right now. Well, I have the time, but can't walk to do it. I am sure my drawers and cabinet look similar to what you described your drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Drawers are the best, especially for plastic storage. But where do those darned lids go?

    When I first retired (almost two years ago) I went through the entire house, purged and cleaned. I've decided another serious purge is needed so that will be January's project...probably extending into February. Stuff just seems to accumulate!

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the grin. I enjoyed your story, it took my mind off my kitchen problems. That has happened to me so many times, usually because I overload the drawers and things fall off the top. But I have a long gadget, actually its a long soup ladle which just reaches the back and with a little acrobatics i can drag the stuff out when it reaches the bottom.
    One thing certainly does lead to another. That plastic container drawer is a joy to behold. You did well to take a photo and immortalise it. My plastic bowl drawer is empty at the moment. I'm waiting for the kids to bring them all back. Meanwhile K had bought a pile of disposable containers. Theyre a great idea even if they are bad for the invironment.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a saga, LOL! But worth the effort! Enjoy your newly organized drawers!

    Vince, the Sham-Wow huckster guy, is still around. He was on TV about a year ago shilling a Slap-Chop household utensil. I believe after his rise to fame with Sham-Wow, there was some ugly business with prostitutes, but clearly he's bounced back from that too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As I read your post I thought, that could be an "I love Lucy" or "Honeymooners" episode on TV! Do you know those old TV shows that were shown in the US? You described it so well!
    Your drawers look great, tho, and that feels so good, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Drawers look so good when organised
    Why can't they stay like that when we get busy?!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Refreshing to hear that *these things* happen to others!!!!! LOL So thank you very much!!!!

    Greetings from the "North Pole"!
    🌲🔥🌲😊🌲🔥🌲🔥🌲😊🌲🔥🌲

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! I wish I had drawers that looked as neat as yours. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh yes, saw Joanne's towel right away. Love these. Have several and would own all the colors if I could afford it. They wash beautifully and mine are always hanging out on my Aga. As for junk drawer, junk closet, and junk room - have all 3! We have been in this house 35 years and we try to keep it purged occasionally (but it never lasts). These times are really good for Covid clean-ups. It's my bathroom drawers and cabinet next for me. BTW, it looks like you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I find, accumulating stuff seems to happen over time without our full awareness. Then an issue arises, like a drawer getting stuck, and suddenly the fix becomes a big project. You managed a good fix. Plus your drawer purge and organization looks superb. You've inspired me to purge.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is quite impressive organization.
    I do this from time to time and the Cup Sprites mess things up and it starts again.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hahah! Well done on your morning's achievement, mighty it is. Those drawer closers go hand-in-hand with the door hinges that allow you to pop off the door and then you spend two hours on youtube trying to figure the so-called easy trick to get them back on.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is hilarious! Especially that about the Sham-Wow cloths. My sister and I went together and bought a set of those cloths at the state fair one year. Don't know what ever happened to them. You are such a writer! I enjoyed every word. Glad you got all the drawers back in shape and cleaned out.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oops! Meant to say Merry Christmas! It's getting close.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That was your morning? It would have been my all day. I know what you mean about things coming out and then you see the crud and dirt that accumulated under because things like drawers or refrigerators or stuff that doesn't move still gets stuff under. I was mortified when Rick and the kids redid my kitchen. I used to get bombarded by a tupperware avalanche every time I opened the cupboard where I stored it and have done multiple sorts of tops and bottoms. Well done -- yours looks great! I only have two drawers in the kitchen so it was in the cupboard. It's like a tumbleweed that keeps growing and rolling and getting bigger and pretty soon, wow! Well, I applaud you, big time! Oh, and here is a helpful hint if a grabber isn't available. Do you have long BBQ tongs/meat turners? Works like a charm because you aren't just "sweeping" it out, you can pinch and grab it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It really never fails, one small job leads to another, and then another, and still another.

    Good for you and Hubby for persevering.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I laughed so much at your post. If something falls behind my drawer, though, I'm just going to tiptoe away.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sometimes we just need a good purge! You did good and hopefully you'll not have any drawers getting stuck for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, this made me smile, one job leads to another and then another. All very time consuming but it must feel great now all is tidy. I must sort out my plastic container shelf in the cupboard, it's at the top and I need a step to reach up without everything falling on my head:)

    ReplyDelete
  37. • ★ Merry ★* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚
    •。★ Christmas 。* 。
    ° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
    ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
    ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚| 田田 |門| ˚And a Happy New Year
    * Joy to all! ♫•*¨* Peace on Earth ♪♫•*¨*
    🎅 🎄 🎅 🎄 🎅 🎄 🎅 🎄 🎅 🎄 🎅

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your drawers look fabulous!!! I've had days like that, in fact, nearly every day is like that in our fixer upper...it can be exhausting!!! :) Merry Christmas Jenn!!!

    ReplyDelete