Sunday 14 June 2020

Garden Tour June 14th, and Squirmy Cat

We had two very cold days, but today has started out promisingly. I know that my perennials are a little behind schedule. Normally my darker pink peonies would have been in full bloom and they aren't yet, but there are still lots of lovely blooms here and there. Let's take a walk:

We will start on what we call the front porch, although it is actually located at the side facing East. This tree was gifted to us when we first moved in twenty some odd years ago. It is kind of like a lilac tree, but it's not specifically a lilac. The bees and butterflies love it. Purple sandcherry is spilling in at the side, too. I love sandcherries but they are short lived. I have one that is totally dead on the other side but is almost impossible to dig out without crushing plants around it.
The bees love this tree and I enjoy watching them. They are extremely tolerant of me taking their picture.

These "white" peonies are the first to open. They start out looking very pale pink, then inside the blooms you can see a bit of yellow and pink as well. I literally sink my face in them and breath deeply.

I used to have many more patches of irises than I do now. I got tired of the grass growing up amongst them, so I dug many out. Irises are their best when you look at the up close. There are so many intricate details.

The name of the purple plant in the foreground escapes me (salvia?). I'm sure someone will remind me.

Weigela - forget the specific kind - but you can't go wrong with this shrub! (Also, that's another word I always have to look up the spelling of - weigela. I always want to put "ia" at the end.)

Spiderwort - terrible name for a beautiful plant. This one is just starting to open. I've divided and transplanted to various locations around "the grounds" (sounds fancier saying that).

Opening soon! This is a darker pink peony. It's about a week behind schedule.

This rather washed out pale yellow iris isn't much for colour, but it does help to break up a sea of green.
Iridescent blue centura in front of a Hansa rose which is just starting to bloom.

I have very few of these irises left. I think, perhaps there are two patches. They are bigger than most irises and are a gorgeous meaty wine colour.
Silky soft pale pink peonies.

Finally, it wouldn't be much of a garden tour without a friend to come along with you. Scooter won't sit on your lap, and prefers to be outside rather than in, but he's a mighty fine roller and squirmer. Yes, you can pet his belly.

I imagine these pictures set up like an old fashioned flip-book, where you flipped the corner of a book between your thumb and first finger to create motion. He's rather difficult when you want to take a picture of him. Also, Rian, if you are reading this, he is the one that I think looks a lot like your stray cat that you've shown in your blog, although, from this angle, it is likely hard to tell!

44 comments:

  1. Your garden is beautiful! I just love this time of year. You are a little behind us in northeast Ohio. My peonies are drawing to a close and my Siberian Iris, the only ones I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A garden in June is a wonderful thing. I have Siberian Iris as well and they have been blooming already for a little while.

      Delete
  2. All those nice flowers. Looks like it must smell good at your house. :) Oh your cat is loving the outdoors. So fun. Blessings, stay safe, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie! The peonies smell wonderful - but some blooms don't have much of a smell at all - strangely enough.

      Delete
  3. Yes, Jenn, I can see that your Scooter does look like our handsome long-haired feral. But I would like to see a pic of him 'right side up'. And from these pics,
    Scooter looks as playful as Fluffy. He loved to roll around and jump the other cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to get a good picture of him as his normal "stance" when he's around us is upside down! Ha ha.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful garden, love the wine coloured iris. My peonies have collapsed, I need to get a taller support next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you can get specific peony cages, but I have used large tomato cages. However, after a big rain, it doesn't matter anyway, those big blooms drag it down. I don't even know where I got that wine coloured iris - I don't think I bought it myself. Perhaps I got it given to me by a colleague.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the virtual tour of your garden. I guess that will be the only type of garden tour we will be doing this year! My peonies are late too and, unfortunately, only have two or three blooms on them. I may have cut them back too severely last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad about not as many blooms on your peonies. I don't think cutting them back would be a big issue, though. I usually wait until Fall to cut mine back (or spring if I didn't get to all of them in the fall!).

      Delete
  6. Oh I love looking at your garden. So much colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always love seeing the scenery in your blog!

      Delete
  7. Your garden is amazing. Our peonies are over already and always short lived. Those irises are beautiful. I loved this virtual tour around your lovely patches of colour followed by your lovely cat showing off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's easy to have lots of things to show in June. I think it's the best month for gardens.

      Delete
  8. I flipped Scooter and it worked well. The garden is coming along!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden's lovely thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely gardens. Yours is the second beautiful flower garden I had the pleasure to tour today. M. had a service call and the client asked me to come look at her beautiful flowers.....from a respectable distance of course. Mine is so pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's nice that she let you have a look around. I bet your garden is far from "pathetic".

      Delete
  11. Beautiful garden. I love your flag irises - especially the wine one. They are my favorite flower (if I had to name just one to be a fav). Scooter looks like he is doing his Pilates ...

    We recognize all your flowers so your climate must be much like the one we enjoyed in the south of England (or in the part of NZ I come from), but we didn't know that peonies have a scent.. I shall look for some like that when we return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one peony that does not have a scent and it only ever produces one bloom per year. Very strange.

      Delete
  12. What a lovely/great post to wake up to..
    And..the sun is shining through my Paddington
    Bear curtains..after a weekend of rain and
    cloud..
    Lovely to see the flowers etc growing where there
    supposed to..in the gardens/fields/hedgerows and
    not cut up in some silly vase on a window sill,
    there~by cutting there lives in half! :(.
    HeHe! I have strong feelings about cutting flowers!

    Ah! And Scooter..He looks lovely..But! Then l love
    pussy~cats..The first day l was born mi Mama laid
    me to rest in my basket, and our pussy~cat crept
    in and settled down next to me and slept..and did
    so, every time mia Mama laid me down..Don't have
    cats now..but..l do get two visitors Fudge and
    Flossie..Love'em..! :o).
    🐈 🐈 🐈 🐈 🐈 🐈 🐈

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful walk through your garden, thanks for taking us a long. Oh Scooter I would definitely ask permission to rub your belly! My garden companions are the chipmunks, one of them actually sat on my foot yesterday! My garden, like yours, is very late in blooming. I really like the lemony scent of iris & cannot wait for my peonies to bloom, such a heady scent! ... Mary-Lou =^[..]^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chipmunks, but have never had one that tame!

      Delete
  14. Your garden is so beautiful. Those pink blossoms in the first photo look just like my everblooming lilacs. Except mine are purple. Your kitty cat looks like it's having a joyous time rolling in the grass. Your wine colored irises are gorgeous. I don't have any that color. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had saved the tag from that tree. I'm not 100% sure what it is.

      Delete
  15. Oh, there is nothing happier than a cat rolling about, all's right with his world!

    Your garden is gorgeous. That sure looks like a lilac tree to me but whatever it is, it is beautiful. I adore the irises, as they remind me of my aunt, Iris. And those peonies rock! It must smell like heaven there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie - yes the rolling cat has absolutely no worries!

      Delete
  16. Your garden looks great and is so colorful! Thanks for showing the spiderwort - now I know what the plants are on the side of my house! I can never remember or identify any of the plants or flowers that appear in my yard! Good work on your "grounds"! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely blooms & fun, squirmy cat! If I were a bee, then I'd visit your 'bee tree' quite often. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get bees and the yellow swallowtail butterflies.

      Delete
  18. Your garden looks absolutely gorgeous! Glad to see you doing well, all things in the world considered.

    I'm back to blogging, after a 9 mo. hiatus. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back! Bloggers who take a break often come back, don't they!

      Delete
  19. Such gorgeous flowers! You have a real green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only grow things that will survive. I am terrible at house plants.

      Delete
  20. Apparently, I had my blog set at private from last fall. Dur. LOL It's open now, so please come and visit when you can! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have such BEAUTIFUL flower/shrubs/bushes all around your yard! A lot to take care of, but so very lovely. Thanks so much for letting all of us share the gorgeous blooms and colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mama Pea. I wish my vegetable garden would thrive as well!

      Delete
  22. Your garden is beautiful! This time of year there is an explosion of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I missed this post! What glory in your garden--including the kitty. I really like that blue centaura. Might have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful garden, such a lovely variety of plants and colors. Just heavenly. It looks like your pal enjoys it too.

    ReplyDelete