Saturday 2 June 2018

Feathers and Flowers

We have lovely neighbours down the road in our little village who have a collection of interesting birds. His name is Lorne and he has wonderful, large enclosures where he keeps very special care of doves and pheasants and guinea fowl and peacocks. He has also had a beautiful old fashioned pair of turkeys and some quail. These are the neighbours from whom we obtained our two runner ducks. They met untimely ends, those runner ducks, but they were very interesting while we had them.

My daughter and her boyfriend went for a walk the other evening, while it was still light, and stopped into say hello. Betty knew who she was right away, but it had been years since Lorne had seen our daughter. When he realized who she was, he invited both her and her boyfriend to come back and see all of his wonderful creatures. His peacocks are in their mating season (we know, we can hear their calls from our house). The gorgeous white peacock had knocked off a few feathers, so our daughter came home with four of them.

Here are some pictures of Scooter-the-cat-with-no-tail enjoying a very unique cat toy!









I wonder if he was thinking, "I wouldn't mind a shot at the rest of this bird!"

And now, in celebration of the fact that only about one month and five days ago we had snow, here are some blooms from my home. A periwinkle blue centaurea and a purple iris with beautiful yellow centres.







19 comments:

  1. I would like to know more about the ducks and their untimely end.
    Norbert would hate that feather. It would be shredded to nothing. He hates being teased but it is s much fun!
    Today I planted some sunny-faced marigolds and a bunch of petunias. They sure do brighten things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Birdie! When I tried, on a different computer, to leave a reply, I wasn't able. I think it has something to do with opening it with google vs. something else. Sigh. The ducks are a longer story. Actually, I think maybe I posted about them a long time ago, but needless to say, they didn't work out. Norbert sounds like a fun guy!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen a white peacock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you had ducks! And I bet they were taken by predators if not in a safe enclosure. It's a tough thing - they love to roam and catch bugs, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Iris, they just won't grow worth a darn here. And it's purple I love purple flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn, I have seen many peacocks....the only white ones I have seen were on the grounds of the Magnolia Plantation in South Carolina. Just beautiful too. Funny little cat. He is liking the feather .:):) Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where would our life be without pets? I don't know how I'll cope when my weenie girls go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cat shots! Who's enjoying themselves more, the teaser or the teased?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess your daughter made Scooter's day! How cool is a peacock feather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new week love Ria x ��

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun toy. Scooter-the-cat-with-no-tail is a really nice looking cat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. cats and feathers..instinctive!
    We had kittens that went into Play and Kill mode when they found a feather even before seeing a live bird

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a nice cat toy. I wonder if there is still a scent on the feather & because Scooter-the-cat-with-no-tail is an outside cat, has he been up close with the owner! Your blooms are lovely. ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jenn :) Oh how interesting! I would love to have a nice number of pet birds!! In enclosures of course. That peacock feather is gorgeous! Yay for summer weather and flowers!!! :) Winter is only 4 months away lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a fun cat toy and our cats also enjoyed some unusual playthings. A favorite was a piece of denim tied on a string and suspended from a short pole like a fishing line. The neighbors collection wounds interesting. The iris photo reminded me of the ones we had at the VA home. It was always a pity tht they bloomed for such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the calls of the peacock. I'm not sure why, but they always remind me of the old jungle-based movies. Your flowers are beautiful! Hard to believe snow was still in evidence that short time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Iris. They remind me of my Aunt Iris and they're so pretty. Rick has those centaurea but I never knew what they were called. Now that I do, maybe I can buy some!

    I'll bet that feather still smelled like peacock! You can tell it's a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to have a best organic coffee with my girlfriend. I will propose her then :p

    ReplyDelete