When I purchased pepper plants from the Amish greenhouse earlier in the summer, I thought "Hungarian Wax Sweet" meant I was buying sweet peppers. Nope. Hungarian Wax Sweet are kind of hot, not like a bell pepper at all. So what does a girl do when confronted with hot peppers? She goes onto the interwebs and finds a recipe for pickling with the label "Hungarian Wax Sweet" attached to it.
Here is what they look like on the plant:
They are nice, long yellow peppers that turn red if you ignore them.
Here's what they look like cut up into rings, swimming around in some vinegar, onion, and garlic:
My canning supplies just stay in the kitchen at this time of year, so I got some water boiling and put my empty jars in. For the first time EVER I am using wide mouth jars.
And then after giving myself a spicy steam facial, I ended up with these:
It made 4 half-pint jars. I'm not a huge hot pepper person, but my son and daughter are, so they can enjoy these.
I'm waiting on my tomatoes. They seem to be taking a little longer to turn red this summer. I've blanched and frozen many green and yellow beans which are always nice in the cold winter months. I have also made quite a few zucchini muffins, which I then froze.
And now to wrap up my mid August post, here is a happy row of zinnias. I only just started planting zinnias in my vegetable garden last year and they made me so happy, I did it again this year.





I love zinnias! Butterflies love them too, I am sure you know that! This is the first year that we have not grown banana peppers in a pot. I miss them. They look a lot like your peppers but they are not hot at all.
ReplyDeleteI love flowers among the vegetables. They brighten up the garden
ReplyDeleteWe have a similar sort of hot pepper. Looks like you dealt with yours in a tasty fashion. Great for family who like heat.
And a huge 'yes' to wide mouth jars! Much less mess
My Czech mother in law lived in Budapest in the early 1940s and learned to spice up her cooking through the Hungarian experience. She loved the hot peppers.
ReplyDeleteI didn't think I liked zinnias....planted last year and this year, and now looking up different varieties and sizes for the future. They keep on giving!
ReplyDeleteI once grew those yellow guys by accident, thinking as you, put them in a salad.....whoops!
They do look nice swimming in the pot and then in those lovely little jars.
Peter Piper picked a peck of them too, but I'll bet Peter didn't turn out ones that tasted so good as I imagine yours did. I really like these and they look great!
ReplyDeleteGood thing your kids like hot peppers! Zinnias are such CHEERFUL flowers! They always enhance a garden.
ReplyDeleteThose jars of peppers look great. I can just see them being eaten with blackeyed peas.
ReplyDeleteI've never had much luck with peppers but your pickles look good. Love the zinnias!
ReplyDeleteThese look exactly like my Banana Peppers...which are not very hot. I grow them because they are great on salads and sandwiches. I ferment mine.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about keeping the canners close by during this preserving time.
Jars of peppers! My mom would have lov0ed doing that. It sounds delicious.
ReplyDeleteThose peppers are so pretty and are even prettier canned. What a beautiful garden you have. This has been the worst summer for gardening here in our part of NC. The extreme heat prevented the tomato plants from setting fruit. It has been so discouraging. We have been in a drought all summer long! Your zinnias are beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteAt this time of year (in S W France) I would be canning just about everything that grew. I loved the growing and the preserving alike, as well as the consumption later in the year. I still make jams, pickles, and chutneys, but my veg-growing days are over. Your Pickled Peppers look wonderful.
ReplyDeleteI planted Zinnias for the first time this year and will do so again next year. The butterflies love them.
ReplyDeleteI did the same thing with those peppers a few years ago.
God bless.
I love Zinnias and must remember to plant some next year as they are so pretty. I do not like anything with a bit of heat, so would be no good for me. Yes the tomatoes are slow to ripen this year for some reason. I have three plants and so far have only been able to pick four and they were not that overly tasty?
ReplyDeleteI am mad-jealous! You are a lucky one for that! love me some peppers.
ReplyDeleteThe dang deer ate my zinnias. Funny that your peppers are hot, because my jalapeño peppers aren't at all.
ReplyDeleteThe peppers sound tasty! Not my thing either, but like your family, mine love hot peppers.
ReplyDelete