Wednesday 18 September 2024

Catching Up...

 Blogging has not held the same interest for me lately (last few months). But to prove I am still alive, I shall do a quick catch up. We have been busy doing this and that to prepare for son's moving out of the house. He interviewed for, and got, a good job in line with what he went to college for (please note that in Canada, university is where you get a degree and learn to become a specific profession like doctor, lawyer, or you get a degree with which you can do nothing, like philosophy, and college is where you learn a specific skill and are more likely to get a job, but no guarantees). Anyway, he managed to find a one bedroom apartment in a city about an hour and half away from here and about a 25 minute drive to his new workplace. For interest sake, with housing the way it is in Canada, a decent (but not new, not fancy) one bedroom apartment will cost him $2,045 a month, all utilities included (except internet which I know is not a utility). It is insane. 

He has been purchasing some necessities like a set of dishes, a set of pots and pans (on sale of course at Canadian Tire), a set of glasses. He just bought a couch and loveseat (very used) for $150. I offered to strip off the cushion covers and give them a good wash. I'll be doing that today because I can hang them on the line in the sunshine. We have a toaster and microwave that he can have. He will take his current bedroom furniture. We have rented a small U-Haul to move him on the 26th. It's a three storey walk up. Oh my aching back! But of course, son will do most of the heavy work himself, or with husband. 

We are very happy for him. It has never been his life's dream to still be living at home at 24 years of age, (and he's been working steadily in construction - also not his life's dream, but still a good job), but now he can do his own thing, have his own life, be on his way to earning a better pay, have benefits... We will finally be empty nesters. We were for a while when he was in college, but then covid came and changed the world and screwed young adults out of a regular university / college experience and both of our kids came home from their places of higher learning and we were no longer empty nesters, but instead had everyone back together again. (Canada, especially Ontario, had extreme lock down measures). 

On other notes, summer has returned. It is gorgeously hot. I managed to process just a few bags of tomatoes (I just blanch them, so I can peel them, squeeze a bit of the seeds out and put them in ziplock bags in the freezer). It was not a stellar garden year unfortunately, but toasted tomato sandwiches have still been enjoyed, beets have been pickled, potatoes have been eaten, as well as carrots and green beans. 

I have taught three days now as an occasional teacher and have a few more booked for the next few weeks. I like being back. I will also like the pay cheque.  We have booked a week away later in November to someplace warm. This is an effort to also keep husband's seasonal affective disorder somewhat at bay, as well as just because it is cheaper to do in November. With son out of the house, we shall have to ask daughter to pop around to check in on the two cats and top up chicken feed, etc. She's very good to do that, and gets free eggs out of the deal! 

I've been trying to keep up with daily (or almost daily) walking. I am enjoying the newly changing leaf colours here and there. It is very cricket-y and a lovely time of year. 

20 comments:

  1. Yes, having them move back in can be a shock to the system! But great to see them launched.
    Summer is back here for a few days too...such a relief after all the cold wet and windy..it has even got as far as Scotland this time!!

    A trip to somewhere warm makes sense in the Winter..I'm hoping to do that..are we swallows?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to your son in his new job and new apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I've got the windows open and the crickets are chirping madly.
    Good luck to your son - it certainly isn't easy these days with high rents.
    Both of my adult children lived with me for many years (my daughter off/on and my son primarily). Now I live with them each part-time. The benefit was, at least for my son, was the ability to save for a downpayment for his own property. My daughter wasn't as careful and tended to spend it as fast as it came in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was able to save some ( he didn’t make great money in construction) while he was with us, but he does feel like he will never have enough for a down payment. But then that leads me to politics… best to stop there.

      Delete
  4. Good to hear from you and know things are ticking along. Rents prices are crazy. Can't imagine how folks make ends meet. Congratulations to your son! It will be a change for you, not having him there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely miss him! Daughter lives much closer.

      Delete
  5. Nice to read your update . Good on you for booking that trip early!! You'll need warmth and sunshine by then.....if I remember rightly about your weather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. November is a fickle month. Sometimes it’s just cold, dreary, wet, and other times we get snow around Hallowe’en and it stays and we have a snowy November. Either way, it’s always dull and grey. This is the first time ever that we are going away in November!

      Delete
  6. A one bedroom flat would cost more than that figure in Britain even outside London and would not include utilities. I am glad your son has got the job he wants and is beginning a new chapter in his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the cost of housing is not limited to Canada!

      Delete
  7. Good on him! My senior sister is trying to find an apartment in S.Ontario. Everything is right out of her range in that university town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure which university town you are referring to, as there are three, but all rents are out of most people's ranges. Son just knew he didn't want to be in a basement apartment, which is now the most common.

      Delete
  8. Good to hear you are enjoying limited teaching. I wondered how that was coming. I have friends with children going on their first jobs and rents here are as steep as your son's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know if rent prices (and all other prices) will ever come down. Now that landlords know that people will actually pay, there is no incentive to reduce prices. But yes, I enjoy being able to pick and choose when and where I want to teach. If I end up in a classroom situation that is "unfavourable", I just don't go back. I leave those classes to the younger, more energetic and resilient teachers.

      Delete
  9. Great that your son has a job that he wants and accommodation even if it is expensive. Rents the world over are expensive these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I am hearing from other (international) bloggers as well.

      Delete
  10. Thank goodness Canadians know what a proper university is.

    ReplyDelete