Saturday 1 June 2024

June the first!



 Today was absolutely lovely- hot but not too hot. June is the prettiest month with so many perennials coming into bloom. Currently the Siberian irises as well as the bearded irises are blooming. I don’t have nearly the amount of bearded irises as I used to. I had dug out a lot and sold them at yard sales years ago as the were taking over and now I sporadic clumps.



I also have deep purple and light yellow bearded irises. 




As well, the lovely iridescent at twilight centaurea also known as cornflower is in bloom. 


The weigelia is just starting. 


The purple salvia is crawling with bees. 



This hosta called Barbara Ann is stunningly huge. 



And finally, my cranesbill which never fails me, providing swaths of colour, is also just starting. 


Today I spent a lot of time weeding, much of which involved digging out tall grass that was growing in amongst perennials in different beds. It’s painstaking work but so satisfying when done. I think tomorrow I might buy annuals to go in my urns, pots, and window boxes. I think I’m going for a variety of colours rather than limiting myself to a colour scheme. I just feel like I want a riot of colour this year!

21 comments:

  1. That red iris is amazing! Beautiful flowers.
    It has been a sublime day today. Gardening therapy is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your iris are lovely. They are special flowers of my childhood, associated with Memorial Day, or Flag Day, as my parents called it. Iris were the flowers we gathered for graves on Flag Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bearded irises and these are beautiful ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen the word weigelia before, but what an attractive small flower it produces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weigelia is a shrub that blooms in June. I have about three on the property like this one, and I have one with light green and white leaves with light pink flowers. They do very well in our climate.

      Delete
  5. Your gardens are lovely. My neighbor has the corn flowers and they have gone wild on her hill I need to get over there to see if I she would share a bit.
    I have been weeding is seems for days and day but it is so satisfying after.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Jenn! You have a nice variety of irises, and it is a joy to see them in bloom since ours are long past. I have never seen your cornflower, but I sure like it.
    And weeding...the never-ending task.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful garden, I love the iris, we don't have any I can see we need a visit to a garden centtre!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also have irises like this in my garden in purple and yellow.
    Their flowering here is over, now we have roses and lilies!
    You will do very well and get different colors of annuals!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a garden! So much colour. I love hearing the bees buzzing round the flowers. They come here when our mint starts flowering. Very soon. Not too hot here either..... yet

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love deep coloured iris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those irises are fantastic, but then, your whole garden is! It's a wonderful splash of color and I wouldn't be surprised if it smells fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your gardens are lovely with the color. I felt the same way when I was choosing annuals. I'm just learning what we have here in the new house in way of perennials. Everything is up, but not blooming just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden plants are beautiful but I have to just add your current header with the purple irises is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden is looking fabulous. The iris collection is particularly beautiful. The large clumps of flowers make a lovely focal point.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely selection of plants

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely iris pictures and that cranesbill..... I understand perfectly about the grass growing in the beds, it seems I am always pulling that out as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh but I miss gardening ; it cheers me to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful Iris. Barbara Ann is truly spectacular. I'm having a wonderful showing of my Irises, I attribute to the spring rains. My Japanese Iris has one bloom, after 7 years of "thinking about it" ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm here for the color riot! I love all your sweet blooms; the hosta is amazing. I'd never heard of someone selling bulbs at a garage sale, but it makes sense. Way down here in Florida, we don't do any bulbs, so I'm pretty dumb when it comes to anything involving a bulb. Enjoy filling your pots!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all your flowers and this is the best time of the year for getting out and enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete