Wednesday 17 May 2023

A Mother’s Day to Remember

 This is a somewhat late post, as Mother’s Day was three days ago, but it still needs to be written. As you know, this past year has been a physical and emotional challenge for me. I told my husband that I wanted our two kids to be in charge of Mothers Day this year, as I’m not HIS mother, I’m their mother. I also let him know that he was on his own to figure out his mother ( who is in a nursing home and has had dementia for a while). 

I let the “ kids” know that I just wanted to have time with them and it didn’t have to be fancy or expensive. On Saturday night, my daughter called to say that I should be ready on Sunday morning around 9:45 and I should be dressed casually and comfortably- not in my favourite blouse- is how she described it. I thought, ok, maybe we are going for a nice hike. I would like that. 

Sunday morning came, we got into son’s freshly cleaned truck and off we went. We drove for quite some time and I kept making ridiculous guesses like “ we are going paint balling” or “ we are camping just for the afternoon “ or “ you’re dropping me off in the middle of nowhere and I get to make my way back home”. Each time they said, “ yes.”

Well, this is where we ended up:


Oh my lord, yes!!! If you know me at all, you know I like animals. This was a goat farm set up so you could go in with the kids ( that all had names from Harry Potter) and you could feed hay to the goats. 


I also made friends with the resident feline. It was so much fun. I thought it was a great place to go, but the day wasn’t over.

We then went to a wonderful little restaurant which is a breakfast/ lunch / bakery place. It was beyond delicious! They bake on site and it smelled like heaven! I thought it was a great place to go, but the day wasn’t done yet.

After that, we went to a garden centre where we wandered for a while and sat on the beautiful patio chairs and sofas. The kids bought me some luscious coloured petunias to plant in my pots.


I thought it was a great place to go, but the day wasn’t over yet. We came back home and son and daughter made a meal of fish tacos and chicken fajita fixings. They bought/ brought all the food for it and I got to sit and watch! Husband was done with his mom by this time, so we all gathered for supper ( daughter’s boyfriend was with his mom).


Daughter also had already purchased a lovely owl “statue “ for me earlier and some treats. The entire day just made me happy and thankful and I told them they had outdone themselves and all I needed in future Mothers Days was just their presence, not presents. I am one lucky mother!

22 comments:

  1. SO AWESOME! Your kids did Mothers Day up right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family never celebrated Mother's or Father's Day because they seemed just money-making opportunities for card companies and florists. But your family did exactly the right thing - spending time together doing fun things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, made me do some emotional sniffing! What a brilliant day they had planned for you. Every moment perfect, and in their company! That's all we need, their company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looked wonderful and all so quiet at the goat place. Such peace and joy and contentment all round. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sounds like the most perfect day and one you will always remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely day! I always tell my daught I just want time with you nothing fancy
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It made me feel a bit emotional. What a lovely day and well deserved. It couldn't have been better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenn sounds like you have raised two wonderful children who knew exactly what their Mother needed & put into together ... sounds a perfect day celebrating you. ... Mary-Lou =^..^=
    PS - as you wrote I was guessing that they were taking you to a cat cafe (col).

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing day for you! Your kids did it right. All moms truly want is some time with their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some good kids you have - it sounds like an absolutely wonderful day! They know you well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spending time together is the best thing a person can get! Well done, kids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your day sounds to perfection. Great kids you have there Jenn! To end with a fabulous custom home cooked meal with your husband joining as well is just great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now, THAT is a perfect day. Loads of fun but most of all, planned and executed by your kids -- who are terribly inventive and certainly lovely, thoughtful people.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a day! You were treated to a well deserved special time

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a great mother's day! Wonderful and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely day you had. Treated like the Queen you are. Awesome.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They did you up right! How sweet that they planned all this. You are precious to them, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a fabulous day. Those petunias are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this so much! What a sweet day Just For You!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Mother's Day! What a fun day. I especially liked that it ended with everyone in the kitchen. You deserved a beautiful day I am happy for you.

    ReplyDelete