Sunday 19 April 2020

Sunday April 19, 2020

I'm in my livingroom. It is spitting rain outside, and it's gloomy and dull, and still pretty cold outside. I can hear the dramatic background music to some old monster movie that husband is watching. I can also hear the occasional snore, so I don't think he's deeply involved in it. I have a roast of beef that I dredged up out of the freezer thawing in the drainboard in the sink. That will be tonight's supper.
I have both my "children" home with me now. Daughter has finished up university, for the most part, with just a bit more to submit online, and she left her rental place in the city. There are bags and laundry hampers littering the upstairs hall. (Don't worry, she literally went nowhere for the past few weeks, as did the family she lives with apart from the one designate who got groceries - we are not fearful of what she may have brought home with her!) Both of my babies are still snoozing in their beds. It's Sunday, it's o.k. Son has exams online this coming week as well. I will "do" Easter sometime this week now that everyone is home.

I've been on my "learn at home" site getting it all set up for the coming week. It's going better now that I know how to do a few more things. Not all students are involved, but then not all have the same support at home, as some parents are essential workers and no doubt the last thing they want to do at the end of the day is get their kids to "do work". I get it, and there is no guilt.

I've made more zucchini muffins (keep using up that frozen zucchini!) (oh, and just to share, EVERY time I type zucchini in a post, I have to look up the spelling - it just doesn't stick in my head! Do you have a word like that?) In an attempt to not go out anywhere, I learned that you can order alcohol through the LCBO website (liquor control board of Ontario) and it will be mailed to your post office. I am awaiting my order.

I ordered seeds online. Now if only the weather would become just a little bit warmer. I'm itching to get out there and rototill and get early seeds in the ground, but if I look at my forecast for the week, there are little snowflakes coming up for two days! April in Ontario. Not surprising, but not welcome.

It's a quiet time here. I am accepting of staying in and away from people and doing what needs to be done for the greater good, but I am also thinking ahead to gathering with friends, smelling barbecue, having a laugh with others, shopping leisurely and thinking about what I'd like to make, being back to my work routine and seeing people face to face, rather than on a computer screen. There are so many good things to look forward to, that putting in the hard time now will make it that much more satisfying when those good things do happen. I for one, am believing that quick tests and discovering if people have immunity will be the answer to getting us slowly, but surely out of this. I don't think we can just hang on until a vaccine becomes trusted and available. That's too far down the road. But once enough people have immunity, have developed antibodies, then we can start to come out of our little hidey holes and start to resume some normalcy, while still protecting our most vulnerable.

Have a good rest of your Sunday and week to come.

40 comments:

  1. You're setting a good example for all of us to follow. Sure, "life" is not what we want it to be just now, but it could be oh-so-much worse! The small sacrifices we're making now will prove beneficial. We have to believe that. And what's wrong with having to be home especially when you have all your chicks with you? I'm not discounting or forgetting about the true hardship this all puts on those trying to make sense of it all after being put out of work and receiving no salary. And for those who have actually contracted the virus . . . well, I have absolutely nothing about which to complain.

    Enjoyed this post of yours about the comings and goings in your corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I just thought I'd put out a few thoughts. Nothing too deep.

      Delete
  2. 'Broccoli' is the word I need to constantly check the spelling of before hitting 'send'. *looks up the spelling before hitting 'send'*

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me forever to get the right spelling down for the word 'occasionally'. I used to question whether I should write it with one c instead of one s. I could not understand for the life of me why I couldn't get it together with that word when I could easily spell the words miscellaneous and even vacuum. ??? You'd think it would be the other way around! Anyway, I finally got it stored properly in my head :)

    We have the same weather here. Rainy and gloomy. I'll be lying in my bed with my two cats, reading a book in 3, 2, 1... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had the same forecast, but it didn't rain! By noon the clouds had even scattered so give us a warm, sunny Sunday afternoon. I transplanted tomatoes into their permanent buckets on the back porch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good for you. I still have to actually plant my tomatoes. I haven't raised vegetables from seed indoors for YEARS. Here's hoping the cat doesn't take an interest.

      Delete
  5. You are lucky to have your children home with you Jenn. I don't know when I will see my girls again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do feel for you. Even though I knew where my daughter was and we texted and sometimes Facetimed, it wasn't until she got home that I felt everything was o.k.

      Delete
  6. "Vacuum" is my devil word. I always want to put 2 c's in it, in addition to the 2 u's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great that you children are home with you. You'll have a sense of more life, even though you self-isolate. I am expecting this all to last much longer, especially for me who falls in the elderly and vulnerable groups! But I'm a bit of an introvert so it doesn't destroy my peace of mind. Be well, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't think things will be "normal" anytime soon. And yes, it is better having both kids at home now.

      Delete
  8. I have lots of words like that - they just don't look right but for the life of me I don't know what to fix! All's right with your world now that everyone's there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just a suggestion on keeping the cat away from the plants. We have 5 indoor cats and they love greenery. I found an idea on Pinterest - we started flowers and vegetables in a couple of old aquariums we had (one is a big 50 gallon tank so it held a lot of plants). We put screening across the top. We had one grow light and I ordered some cheapies from Amazon. Another idea might be to start them in a wire dog crate if you have one? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I did have a wire dog crate! (for chickens, actually) The cat doesn't really seem to care much about plants because he's an outdoor cat for the most part and can just rub and chew on whatever strikes his fancy outside. I just don't want him pawing through the dirt. I don't even have a grow light. I was just planning on window sills - the good old fashioned way!

      Delete
  10. So nice to hear the 'kid's are home safe.
    Please be careful, recent studies are showing there are huge numbers of people testing positive with no symptoms at all, they just don't get sick but can unknowingly be spreading the virus all over for weeks.
    Good to hear you are coping with lessons easier now, in Australia the ABC (govt run) television channel is now broadcasting lessons for all grades over the course of the day on one of their info channels.
    We are lucky here to still have warm weather so lots of seedlings and salad plants are doing well on the deck where I can keep them warm and protected with cafe blinds over night from the local ppossums.😁🥬🌶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know all about asymptomatic, but she's been well away from the outside world for weeks and weeks now.

      Delete
  11. Would it help to use the UK spelling - courgette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the French spelling. The UK version is 'small marrow'.

      Delete
    2. It is, of course, but I've never heard it called that.

      Delete
  12. We are all realizing how much socialization was a part of our regular lifestyle. However, learning to be alone will make us appreciate social interaction when the bans are lifted.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, I think many of us feel the same....although two days a week I do go to work at my dental office (where we are only seeing emergencies, and making calls to reschedule appointments) so I do see people then, and at the grocery store. But honestly, you don't see much of anyone's face because they are all wearing masks. Last week when I went to pick up my pitiful paycheck the staff told me they had a nurse in the office that works with Covid patients. I skedaddled.
    Yes, I always have to look up exersize ~ excercise ~ exercise! sheesh

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did an LCBO order and it took over 2 weeks to get it at the Post Office. BTW check the bottle size when you order, I thought I had a good deal on a wine only to get the delivery and the bottles were only 375 ml.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All sounds well in your world and I'm glad you are with your tribe. I'm fine at home and very content and have no desire to go anywhere but that said, it will be nice when we don't have to worry so much. Will we ever not have to worry so much? I'm not sure about that. Zucchini bread sounds very good! It must be very hard, the school stuff. Hats off to you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not alone in this. Tons of other teachers doing the same thing.

      Delete
  16. It's good to see that you are being positive about all of this. Hang in there, soon this will all be over and we can back to our norms. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  17. critiscm is a word I get stuck on a lot! criticsm haha and weird, wierd!
    I often will use an alternative word! So from now on you could just say courgette

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes. There are words for me like that and it's so funny. I'm always wrong when I type them even when I'm really trying. Good post too. It's like I'm reading your journal. I dig that. Happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always forget how to spell lavender. I am finding it hard to concentrate since I can't remember what day it is, most of the time. I am very thankful I do NOT watch TV. I'm struggling with technology in my home office on a daily basis. We'll get through this as long as the wine doesn't run out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoyed your post. I have enjoyed the slow down. Maybe some of it will stick after this is over. I think family first was getting lost in the work shuffle. Enjoy the time with your family. Stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks To God Almighty for using Doctor Razor's Quick cure for herpes to eradicate my herpes Simplex Virus...I got diagnosed with Herpes On February 17, 2016 and it resulted in a cluster of painful ulcers and many problems while urinating..  My situation almost caused me my marriage because my husband was having pressure coping with his work and my situation.. One morning, I read a testimony on a blog page online, of a natural cure from a Herbalist named Dr Razor who cured a 50 years old retired US Army official and he is now healed from dementia.. I immediately contacted him and I told him of my herpes, he encouraged me not to give up. I administered the natural Healing medication he sent to me and a few weeks later I went to the hospital for a check up and the result was clear.. It's been 4 years now and I am proud to let you know that I am still healthy and living happily with my husband and my 3 kids after the healing. I felt it best that I let you know that if you contact Doctor Razor through his email drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com , you can have a second chance of living again,because he will give you good results.. I never believed in Herbs but Doctor Razor proved to me that Herbs Is a free gift from Nature and Its Importance to Mankind. And as well the effectiveness of Herbs. By completely curing me with his herbal Medicine. Reach out to Doctor Razor through his Email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com , Whatsapp/Call him via +2349065420442. This is also Doctor Razor's Herbal Website : https://drrazorherbalhome.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome . Thank you very much once again Herbalist Razor

    ReplyDelete