Sunday 22 July 2018

How to Make Homemade Burgers for Freezing

Today was a perfect day for doing a very satisfying task. First of all it was raining (yay!!! my plants are happy!), and secondly, medium ground beef was on sale for a great price. I bought two of the family size large packs of ground beef. (I've come back to edit that one pack was 1.3 kg which converts to about 3 pounds). You want medium ground beef for burgers because that extra bit of fat gives it flavour and juiciness.

I used two large mixing bowls, emptying one package of ground beef into each bowl so I would have plenty of space for adding ingredients and mixing them up.

Into the beef, you want to add:


-ketchup and barbecue sauce. I like Diana Sauce original because it is not too "hickory" and it is fairly thick. I don't measure, but I think anywhere from a half a cup to three-quarters of a cup in total of ketchup / barbecue sauce per big bowl of ground beef will be enough.

-chopped onion and egg. I used almost a whole chopped onion divided between the two bowls, and mixed up three eggs and divided the mixture between the two bowls as well. The egg is important to help bind the burger meat together.

-Italian style bread crumbs. If you aren't familiar with this type of bread crumb, give it a try. Italian style crumbs include lovely herbs and parmesan cheese as well as bread crumbs, so you get extra flavour. You might use about a cup of bread crumbs per bowl.

-burger seasoning. I like even more flavour and discovered this mixture a while ago. This takes care of any salt or pepper you need to add, too. I took the lid off and probably dumped in at least a tablespoon in each bowl, if not more.

The next step is to wash your hands and get in there and mix it all up. You want to make sure you have incorporated all the bread crumbs and that the onions are evenly distributed.

Now it is time to rip off a whole bunch of sheets of wax paper and cut them into "squares". Don't worry if they are more rectangles than squares. The purpose of these is to stack your burgers between pieces of waxed paper to make it easy to separate them after they are frozen.

You will end up with piles like this. You'll need more wax paper squares than you think, if you are doing a big quantity of burgers.

I like to use a metal measuring cup to form my burgers. This is a one-third cup. It is a good size for a generous burger that suits most people. By using a measuring cup, your burgers will be the same size and will cook at the same rate.

Lay down a wax paper square, press your beef mixture into your measuring cup, invert the measuring up over the wax paper and give it a downward smack. Your beef will then slide out onto the wax paper.

Press your burger down, maintaining a circular shape. You don't want it to be too thin, however, so that it holds together and grills well.

You can get more finicky than this, rounding off the edge of the burger, but I think a homemade burger should look like a homemade, assembled with love, kind of food!

Place another square of wax paper overtop of your burger and add it to your stack. And here's the key!! You always want two squares of wax paper between the burgers so that you can easily separate them when they are frozen. Wax paper will not stick to wax paper. The last thing you want to do, which trust me, I have done with purchased burgers and even hot dogs, is to try to pry a knife between frozen burgers and accidentally slip and hurt yourself.


I like to put a stack on a paper plate (perfect way to use up your seasonal / special event leftover paper plates!) to keep them flat, so they don't freeze in an awkward shape when you cram them into your freezer (if it's anything like mine!), in large size zip lock freezer bags. Try to squeeze out at much air as possible before you zip them up!

My two family size packages of ground beef ended up making about thirty burgers altogether - delicious, consistent in size, and ready for grilling whenever people drop by in the summer. Like purchased burgers, you can cook them from frozen. A great way to spend some time on a rainy day.

Just so you know... I'm not being paid by President's Choice, or Gray Ridge Eggs, or French's or anyone else, but they are welcome to, if they wish, ha ha!!

30 comments:

  1. They sound delicious and great tips on how to freeze them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like they way you packed the burgers. It will be easy to thaw and cook. I have seen recipes for making big meatballs to freeze for meals too. Great idea for saving time when in a hurry. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that funny, I never make meatballs! Now I think I'll need to.

      Delete
  3. Yum! Now I want hamburgers. . If I get on a plane now I can be there for supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you would be more than welcome. Throw Norbert in a cat carrier!

      Delete
  4. Great tutorial Jenn...I also use the wax paper tip..they’ll be delish!
    I made a big pot of chicken and rice soup...yum!
    Raining here too...plants are doing a happy dance!
    Enjoy your week ahead...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade soup is another one of those things that you can "big batch" and freeze, and the difference between homemade and soup out of a can is huge.

      Delete
  5. This sounds great! I'm gonna try it... we are burger fans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You cannot beat a homemade burger. So simple too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got one of those hamburger shapers which works pretty well too. I will have to buy some of the Club House seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Karen, Tom, and Chris - simple, but so good at this time of year. Chris, do you remember the K-Tel patty stacker? I'm guessing it was K-Tel or Ronco, or some other seen-on-tv product.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your patties on the wax paper looked just like mine! Our ingredients are a smidge different, but basically I make mine the same as you do. I do wrap each burger individually in wax paper . . . like you'd wrap a sandwich, for instance. Then lay them out on a cookie sheet and into the freezer until they're frozen. Then I put them in a freezer bag and can grab out as many as I need for a meal. Good post. Also reminded me I need to make some meat balls for the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hey now, I like your idea of wrapping each one individually and freezing on a cookie sheet. I have a relatively small chest freezer and sometimes laying out more than one cookie sheet nice and flat is a challenge! But still, great idea!

      Delete
  10. The hamburger mix sounds really tasty. I'm going to try flavoured crumbs and tomato sauce. That idea of double wax paper is the best tip ever!! I stack mine sometimes and often have to pry them apart with a knife. Great recipe, thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I always enjoy reading about all of your food on your blog!!

      Delete
  11. I am defrosting my freezer today. Tomorrow I could do a lot worse than try these to fill a corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do with a little freezer defrosting myself!

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh, I follow the exact same process! LOL I actually have a whole bunch of burgers in the freezer as I type this. So easy to prepare a quick meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This does not surprise me! Hope your summer is going well, Martha.

      Delete
  13. Yep, we love to use burgers with our Sunday breakfast, instead of bacon or ham. Less salt, and just as tasty. (without the buns, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What is the weight of the family size pack? I'm thinking that it might fluctuate from store to store, or from year to year. Bacon is no longer a pound, and tomato soup is 50 ml smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I shall have to show this to my daughter. She loves making burgers and has a hand shaper/ press that she uses.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sound really, really good and a great way to store them beyond just making them up and prying them apart. Thanks for this -- I'll be implementing it sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It’s been awhike since I have made homemade burgers, but yiu are right about it being so easy and much better than store bought. I do a similar recipe for making meat balls. The wax paper is a great help.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do like the paper plate added for structure - I don't know how many times I pull something out of the freezer and it's frozen in an awkward shape. You then have to take the time to thaw it, which tends to diminish the convenience!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How do you cook your burgers? I'm a novice cook, and I heard you can cook burgers from frozen? Or do you thaw yours first?

    ReplyDelete