Monday 4 August 2014

Bees

     I love bees. Because I spend a lot of time surrounded by flowers, I end up spending a lot of time around bees. There has been much concern about bee populations dying in our area. Bee keepers are talking about chemicals being sprayed on fields. I also remember news of bee diseases in the past too. If the bees in my gardens are any indication of bee health and vitality, then I am happy to report that all are alive and well here.
The bees have especially been enjoying this hydrangea, "White Dome".
     I also enjoy bumble bees. They make a wonderful sound as they crawl in and around blooms and are slow enough that you can watch them, and see how covered in pollin they become. Bumble bees remind me of a Beatrix Potter story, "The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse". We had videos of Beatrix Potter stories that our kids watched when they were little and in this story, the mouse was a rather anal, O.C.D. creature who was cleaning up her mouse hole and then a toad shows up wanting food. He smells honey, and as it turns out, there is a honeycomb in the mouse's house and the toad ends up with a mouth full of bees. A big mess ensues and the mouse then has to clean up all over again.
     I know many people, children especially, who are afraid of bees. Personally, I have never been stung by a bee. I have even brushed them away while gardening. No problem. I have been stung by a wasp. Wasps are different. Wasps have a bad attitude. 
     Enjoy your day and go out and watch some bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment