Sunday 24 March 2024

Joys of Home "Ownership"

 We finally have hot water (and the heat ensuing with our portions of in-floor heat as well), but it was a rocky road to get there. Husband decided to call in the experts, a local heating and plumbing company. This involved a visit, a diagnosis, an ordering of a part, waiting for the part, another visit, a rediagnosis involving an additional part, waiting two more days for that part, a third visit, then.... a strong smell of propane in the house - on a Friday - yes, after closing, after hours. We all know what that means. 

Husband phoned the company back, found out they close early on a Friday, called their emergency after hours number and a different guy came back, discovered that first guy had not done a proper job (MASSIVE EYE ROLL AND SWEARING ON MY PART, BUT NOT DIRECTLY AT THE GUY) and the job was fixed properly. We were assured by second guy that we would not be charged the $350 after hours fee (I'll believe that when I see it). 

This all, of course, has occurred during our third winter or false spring or whatever you want to call the latest drop in temperature and snowfall. Coincidentally, we have been having issues with the downstairs bathroom toilet, at the same time. Husband, fearless as ever, has literally dismantled the toilet and snaked it and checked all kinds of things and treated it for "organic iron" build up which we do have with our water... alas the problems, despite his efforts, have continued, to the point where we were up until well past 1:00 a.m. with son trying to figure out this problem, taking apart things in the basement and well, you don't need all the details. 

I think this was a "the leg bone's connected to the hip bone" situation. It's too much of a coincidence that we should have both of these problems at the same time and for them not to be related. So today, fearless husband is trying to determine if there is an ice damn somewhere in the system. This even involves checking into the septic system. The man saves us hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars by tackling things himself. However I wouldn't mind if we were independently wealthy and could just hire someone to do it for us (however, that didn't work out so well with the propane fired hot water heater, did it?)

Thank goodness for the addition that we built onto this old house years ago, so we can still use the bathroom over there, but we are currently not using ANY water on the "old" side of the house for specific reasons. Oh well, at least I got a couple of loads of laundry in yesterday and had a shower. 

I am weary. I am despising the issues that have caused so many inconveniences and days (weeks) of waiting. And I'm not even the one getting down and dirty trying to work it all out. 

On the upside, it will be 13 degrees C tomorrow, so that's something to look forward to!!

26 comments:

  1. Bless you as you go through this ordeal. Been there done that. Sorry, for some reason I cannot comment with name and am anonymous. homehavenministry@blogspot.com. life on the prairie w/d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also sorry you're having to go though all those issues. House ownership is wonderful, but house maintenance can be occasionally difficult and expensive. Hopefully it will all take care of itself eventually... try not to stress too much (easier said then done, I know).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He and son are working on things now… fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. I hope your home maintenance woes are all resolved and fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thecontemplativecat here. I grew up in a farmhouse built in late 1800. Pipes froze the first few winters, toilet as well. I hope your problem resolves itself when the real pre-summer spring comes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are getting closer to resolution. Home repairs can be a nightmare.
    Many seem to experience issues when bringing in someone to troubleshoot and repair a home issue. My neighbor hired a plumber and then had to hire two subsequent plumbers to finally fix the problem completely. I am in the middle of a laundry room remodel. I purchased a new stacked LG washer and dryer and it was delivered and installed, no problem. The contractor chosen to do the remodel out-of-the-blue announces he wants to do lead testing and remediation at $$$$$. Thankfully I had not signed a contract with him and he will not longer be involved. FYI this laundry room has been remodeled previously and we know there is no lead paint. Up-charge tactics seem common.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope hubby gets to the bottom of it quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness! What a stressful situation. The smell of propane would be scary, and so upsetting that the 'professionals' can't do the job properly. Throughout the years, my husband has also saved us many, many thousands of dollars with his ability to figure out and fix things. He is a treasure. Sure hope things get resolved in a positive way soon, and yes, looking forward to some more seasonal temperatures. That north wind is brutal despite the lovely sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only forecast to be 7C here tomorrow - hope the warmer weather is headed our way. There's always something needing fixed/repaired around here too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our toilet and sinks seem to be running a bit slowly as well. Hopefully this is just because the weather turned to snow and cold. Glad you got your heating back up and running.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, just a cascade of yuck, huh? I hate to hear this, and like many others, have been there myself too many times. Our house is almost 50 and feeling its age too. Sending you a virtual glass of wine, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do hope that the situation with the toilet has a quick resolution.
    I had an issue with a plumbing/heating company with a water heater in the last house. It took the third guy minutes to figure out the problem the other two weren't able to solve, but first he had to check with the second guy to ensure he hadn't done whatever it was he figured out...even though I assured him the second guy hadn't. It was so freaking annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Between homes and people, you sometimes wonder who owns who.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Final verdict: it was a very large grease clog deep in the pipes ( in the basement leading out to the septic system). I’m generally very good about letting oils and drippings in pans congeal first and then scraping them out into the garbage but husband said this was very large and must have been an accumulation of years. Guess I’ll be even more careful ( and anyone else using the sink).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness! Last time I was back in NZ, my Bro had the septic tank cleaner guy round for similar reasons and yes - grease clogs were involved. What a horrible job but once cleared it is amazing how much happier you can feel about life. We chucked degreaser down the pipes on a regular basis when we lived in Greece (no pun intended) the drains there were so narrow that it took nothing at all to block them and we were constantly battling accumulation of 6 apartments in the same building. So even when you are renting these problems arise.

      Delete
  14. Just no fun. I'm glad it found and dusted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you have finally got both problems sorted and that you are not going to be charged the after hours call out fee.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad your problem is fixed good luck with the toilet. We are working on a list of things that need to be done this summer.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Home ownership is not for the faint of heart. Glad that your husband & son were able to find the water problems. I'm like you with grease & such. I read somewhere about putting oatmeal in pans with oil/grease then mix with seeds for the birds. For me that would bring the field mice (no thank you) so I just add the sprinkle of oatmeal & then dispose into the composter recycle bin. I wonder if the gas company will "retrain" repair person #1?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so sympathize with you. It is always something to fix or replace when owning a home. My Ted used to say, "there's no such thing as a five minute job". I have been bull headed and working on my vanity drain for months. I paid two men to fix it...they put back the trap I myself had taken off, replaced a coupling with something I had never seen before...charged me and away they went on their merry way and I am still working on this drain. Yikes. I have tried the flimsy hair grabbed. It's not that. Tried drain cleaners, not working. I think I will take of the thing those men put on the line. Wish me luck. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear! Never a dull moment in the Happy Homeowners club! Hope you get it all resolved soon...my husband is the same, he'll try anything before calling in the professionals:).

    ReplyDelete
  20. One of the most difficult and stressful things for everyone, I believe, is the maintenance of a house. I hope your issues are resolved quickly. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I bet you're weary. I bet Fearless Husband is weary too. This gets old real fast and the weather doesn't help, does it? I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We've had way more plumbing problems with our new cabin than we ever did with our 100 year old house in town. Too bad it was in town. Good luck with the plumbing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh the pain. This was hard reading as I have similar and more awaiting me this season.

    ReplyDelete