Monday 16 July 2018

Waterfalls and Wine

Yesterday was my birthday, the big five-two. I'm not much of a birthday person. I don't like get-togethers. I despise birthday phone calls, I don't require presents, and I cringe at the thought of being sung to, especially in public. So... both "kids" were working yesterday and husband and I decided to do something during the day. Our daughter, the communications major, put together a day for me (she's working this summer in tourism), knowing her mother well (i.e. no ziplining, no big city travel, no crowds).

In the morning, we left to drive to a very pretty part of Ontario, to go for a late breakfast. We ate outside in the shade in a little village. I had the vegetarian crepe (not a vegetarian, but the "innards" sounded yummy - onions, goat cheese, mushrooms...). Yes, I took a picture. Note the flowers as decoration!


After breakfast, we drove to a lovely conservation area that includes a waterfall. We've been to this waterfall before but it's been a while. Being in nature makes me contended. It was a scorching hot day, but we were in amongst the trees. And when a hot flash hit me, I just leaned against the stone wall which was nice and cool! (Why, why do hot flashes come back when you are quite sure they were all done? Happy birthday.)


You can see the wall to protect people from their own stupidity. I love the old cedars.


The gnarled root systems with all of their glorious texture and hidey holes make me imagine gnomes and fairies and other magical tiny beings living amongst them and emerging when all of the people go home.


This is one view of Eugenia Falls.


Here is a better view.


This is probably the best view. Don't ask how far the drop was. I read the info, but forget it now and I'm a terrible judge of distance. Suffice it to say that I would not want to look over the edge.


And now for your amusement, here is a selfy (selfie? the ie ending doesn't make sense...). Is there anyone, besides a Kardashian, over the age of 25 who can properly execute one of these things? I ended up looking like an elf and husband looks like he's trying to read the small print. Good god.

Now, onto better things... we then drove a short distance to another waterfall, different in nature and size. This one assumed that you were smart enough to stay away from the edge as there were no walls. We were also in amongst beautiful old trees with limestone rocks and a pretty river.


The river was shallow and there were many, many butterflies flitting around.


After a bit of a walk, we came to the falls. I could have walked right out to the edge if I wished. I did not wish to. I'm not great with the edges of talls things and have these irrational thoughts like, "What if I just inexplicably threw myself over the edge??"


These falls were not nearly as large, or as big of a drop as Eugenia. They are called Hoggs Falls. There was actually a fellow at the bottom fishing. We didn't wait long enough to see if he caught anything.


I'm pretty sure gnomes and fairies live here, too. There is nothing like the sound of water.

After the waterfalls, we were directed, according to daughter's itinerary, to drive to one of the many wineries that are becoming established in the general area. There are also many craft breweries and cideries as well.


This is the view from their parking lot. Just a gorgeous valley and the picture doesn't do it justice. It was so hot, the earth seemed to shimmer.


The winery was named The Roost, because the owners, after being part of the banking / advertising world of the big cities, including London, England, decided to 'come home to roost', establishing this winery on the wife's home farm. They've done a fabulous job creating a beautiful setting in the building itself.


After enjoying a wine tasting, we decided on this red and brought home two bottles.


We shared the charcuterie board in the shade with a glass each. (Isn't the whole charcuterie thing such a trend now? It used to be called wine and cheese. Now it's like a competition to find the weirdest crackers and the thinnest slices of meat.)

We toodled around after that, enjoying the drive and ended the day with a dip in the pool. We had cake with the kids (purchased... oh the horror! But I'm not baking my own cake. I gladly make a birthday cake for husband and kids, but I draw the line at myself). We amused ourselves by noticing the cicadas emerging from their outer shells and then administering to son, as he didn't quite escape from the wasps that he disturbed as he was shooting baskets in the driveway. They had been making a happy little wasp nest in the hollow post that the basketball net is attached to. He's fine - only one sting.

This was the perfect birthday. No party. No attention. I didn't announce to people at the restaurant or the winery that it was my birthday. I was out amongst the trees and the water, and then back in an air conditioned car. As a bit of an introvert, and a private one at that (who has a blog, I know, but I pick and choose what I share), it was lovely.

22 comments:

  1. Congrats on the birthday. It sounds like you had a perfect day out. I've been to Eugenia Falls; it is truly a lovely place. Husband grew up in Collingwood and had some misadventures at Eugenia so he likes to go back once and awhile and relive his youth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want your birthday! I can't tell you how often I laughed during this post - from the elf selfie to the charcuterie description! It sounds like the most perfect birthday day one could hope for. If one was a bit of an introvert and a private one at that. Yes, we are twins from a different mother (and many years apart...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 365 day trip another the sun ... I've been to both those waterfalls & aren't they lovely. I chuckle at charcuterie being a thing now - what's that saying, what's old is new again - wait that could mean me! (col).
    ...Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday young lady. So cute. I loved the nature walk. I don't like fussing either. Of course my birthday is way bigger than yours. LOL. Blessings honey, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a birthday. Many happy returns x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belated Happy Birthday and thank you for sharing your wonderful day with us. Also, many thanks for cheering me up with your selfie photograph and description - it made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely perfect. And, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect birthday!
    When I met my husband I made it abundantly clear that he was to never, ever announce my birthday in public. And no surprise parties either. No parties at all, in fact. All are introvert nightmares.

    I know there were fairies there. I just know.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful birthday.sort of birthday I would like too, specially with the winery and wine and cheese.
    May you have many more of them

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect way to celebrate a birthday! You and I are the same age :-) The falls are just beautiful - and refreshing on a hot day - great food choices too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm taking the quick and easy way out here and saying my comment is exactly the same as Susan's! We are triplets from different mothers. And in my case, many, MANY years apart! Good grief, you little elf, you weren't even born when I got married!!!

    P.S. If anyone ever wanted to make me their enemy for life, they would throw me a big, surprise birthday party. (((Shudder)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Considering how you feel about birthdays I'll just say welcome to your 53rd year and it looks like you had a pretty wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a lovely day and Happy Birthdaty to you. You can imagine singing if you like. I've been to Hoggs Falls many many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  14. well, whether you want to hear it or not, I am glad you had a lovely birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, what a nice way to spend your birthday! I'm quite happy to have mine ignored, too. I've just come home from a holiday with my oldest friend and we tried to learn how to take selfies - a futile and self-conscious exercise with no "keepers"! We also got onto photographing our food as an attempt to include our husbands back at home. Even though the whole world does it now, it still felt silly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous area! A perfect way to spend the day. I also like things quiet. Isn't it so much more pleasant that way?

    Happy (belated) birthday!


    Love that selfie! It is fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a lovely day out. What beautiful waterfalls . What a clever kind daughter you have! Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday!!......look like a Great day you have had...love from me Ria ☀️☀️☀️

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounded like the perfect way to spend your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this sounds like a fabulous birthday. Beautiful environment, wonderful people, delicious food (I would have ordered that too -- both the wrap and the charcuterie board. I love the label on the wine. And the waterfalls were magnificent. I can't think of a nicer thing to do -- and especially because this was just something perfect for YOU!

    A big happy birthday! I believe in celebrating as long as anyone wants to give you presents, send a greeting or take you to lunch! Every year is a gift and the more we have when all is well, the luckier we are. I think you are one lucky woman.

    (And by the way, I think the selfie is cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday! ( Don't worry, I cannot sing). Your day looks absolutely perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday. Just catching up a day late!

    ReplyDelete