Thursday 26 July 2018

Barbecue Summer Supper

Sorry people, no key lime pie yet. Hang in there.

I love vegetables grilled on the barbecue. I especially love to grill them in this kind of basket.


Ah, no, I don't grill them in the plastic bag. First I chop up, in big pieces, whatever vegetables I have on hand which would work. This is zucchini (my first out of my garden!), red onion, red pepper, green pepper, and mushroom. I put the cup up veggies in a large zip lock bag with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I also throw in some seasoning and give everything a good shake.


This was the seasoning I used this time. Sometimes I use Greek Seasoning. Sometimes I just toss in my own combination of basil, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, really whatever is on hand.

Tonight, I had some bone-in chicken breasts which I cut open to help them cook quicker and more evenly. I drizzled some olive oil and Greek salad dressing on them first so they wouldn't stick to the grill. I put those on a hot grill first, before the vegetables.


Whilst grilling I had a nice cold beer. Bud Light Lime is a great summer beer. I've been busy all day long dragging branches from the far reaches of our property to be put through a wood chipper.


Then the veggies get tipped into the grill basket and put onto the grill. Every once in a while I closed the top of the barbecue to give everything a good "bake".


Can you smell it?? When I cook meat on the grill, I think of this blog all about Greek life, culture, and food. Local Kiwi Alien is a really interesting blog written by a woman from New Zealand who has lived in Greece for a long time and reading it makes me want to visit.

We are fortunate here in that we don't have to concern ourselves with forest fires, but of course people in Greece, Eastern Ontario, and California are in different circumstances. I'm probably leaving out some areas. My heart goes out to all.

This meal was served on a bed of romaine lettuce, but I've also served it over rice. Sometimes I crumble up some feta cheese with it as well. If you don't have a grilling basket and you enjoy barbecuing, I highly recommend it. I've also done cut up chicken in it and I would imagine shrimp would be great, too. Happy grilling!

13 comments:

  1. Looks good...I can almot smell it cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your BBQ seems far tastier to ours! Love the idea of the grilling basket. I wonder if I can find something similar here and make the traditional griller use it! And I'll make him marinate the vegetables first like that. We put oil and balsamic on afterwards.
    Love your beer too. Certainly won't find that around here.
    Thanks for the plug

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many great ideas here. I think of chicken and how dense it is. Splitting the breast open gives it a chance to get that good smokey flavor. Great advice. I, too, have a grill basket---best invention ever. Good for fish, too. And oh...the longer it takes to cook, the more beer I can enjoy!

    Feeling the same as you about the people affected by the wrath of Mother Nature. Makes our complaints very small. Thanks for making us be more aware.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that looks so good. I love grilled veg so I must look out for one of those baskets.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yummy! Everything looks so good. Vegetables on the grill are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting, I've never seen one of those grilling baskets before. It all looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mm, those vegetables look good. I don't have a basket but maybe I should try to find one. All sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for reminding me I have a grill basket! Since the weather's been too hot for my usual roasted vege, I think I will pull the basket out and follow your lead - I'd love a nice, cold beer in the summer, but can't find one that's gluten free, dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks downright perfect to me! I should get a grill basket for Rick. We never do our veggies there and they are so much better when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just starving and come here!! Seriously? And we aren't meeting our friends for another hour yet! I may be faint from salivating. lol Don't worry- I am too healthy to faint. That food looks AMAZING!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dinner does look quite yummy. We do not use our barbeque all that much although I do have a basket which I use in the oven.

    I think of all that sadness happening around the world & it is quite over whelming especially when it's people induced & not just Mother Nature.

    ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are making feel hungry. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my … those vegetables do look good!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete