Tuesday 23 May 2023

Outdoors

 I filled my two hummingbird feeders- one for the back porch and one that I can see from the front porch. There have already been territorial battles. I adore watching hummingbirds. It is such a simple pleasure. 

I had spent a lot of time over the past couple of weeks weeding my vegetable garden. I then cleaned out the chicken coop ( it’s the size of a small shed one might have in the backyard for your lawn mower and such). I do the “ deep litter” method for the hens ( there are only three) over the fall and winter months and then give it a thorough clean out when things finally warm up. All the old shavings and manure then gets spread on my vegetable garden. 

Today I used my trusty rototiller to work up my garden, going in one direction and then the other. Then I rake it smooth. So much promise lies in that garden.


I then weeded around the outside of my compost bin at the corner of my garden. I sat on my garden seat. Inevitably, the inspector arrived. I do wish he wouldn’t sit under the seat. I am careful not to tip forward and I have to chase him out of there when I want to move a little to the side or forward or back.



Do you have or did you have a “ supervisor “?

19 comments:

  1. I used to have a supervisor like that, a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, the Tigger, closely supervise all things gardening. Your is clearly doing a good job too. Xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your veggie patch looks perfect & with such a start all your veggies should be a bumper crop. Your rhubarb clump is huge! My fur girls are strictly indoors, but anything thing I do, such as starting seeds off indoors gets their full attention & sometimes their approval. ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That rhubarb is so many years old and it always comes back perfectly every year. I don't really do anything to it.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous tulips! Love the promise of that prepared garden.
    I used to have a garden supervisor...she'd jump out from between the plants, and bat at me, then bound away.... That white paw in the last pic reminds me of Boots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been busy! But not as busy as your poor, overworked supervisor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feeding and watching the birds is fascinating. Your garden plot looks outstanding all tilled and ready for planting. Murphy is the best kind of supervisor. No talk and close observation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Saku is only allowed outside when I am there to supervise him. :p He couldn't be trusted to stick around (even under a stool) when I'm working outdoors.
    It's amazing how the garden goes from nothing to full and ready for harvest in just a few months.
    Enjoy watching the hummingbirds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a power machine! And yes, I have a supervisor but she's usually sleeping on the job so I can get away with murder. Except at meal times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was really nice what you did with those "hummingbird feeders!" I can imagine how relaxing that would be, to be able to watch those hummingbirds.

    My wife and I enjoy watching birds too.

    That inspector reminds me of our cat, she used to like getting under my favorite chair, and I always had to be careful before I sat. But thankfully, she no longer gets under there.

    I think the cat we have at home, thinks she is our "supervisor," not only that, but she tries to rule our home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I definitely need to get the hummingbird feeders filled and up. I have been distracted by the orioles and finches.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Years ago I had a gold Tigger like that. Mine was named Boom Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you have put in some hard work! No inspector here. I guess our critters don't find us that interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, a blank garden "canvas" does offer so much promise. But also makes me kinda nervous as I'm never sure I'm using the space in the most advantageous way! And I always "rotate" the crops as I don't want to plant the same veggies in the same spots year after year. (But wouldn't that make it so simple!?) No garden companions now so I only have to try to avoid tripping over my tools or the hose or my own feet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have plenty of hummingbirds and they can be quite aggressive. I stopped feeding them as they have ferocious appetites,

    ReplyDelete