Wednesday, 19 August 2026

A Peck of Pickled Peppers

 When I purchased pepper plants from the Amish greenhouse earlier in the summer, I thought "Hungarian Wax Sweet" meant I was buying sweet peppers. Nope. Hungarian Wax Sweet are kind of hot, not like a bell pepper at all. So what does a girl do when confronted with hot peppers? She goes onto the interwebs and finds a recipe for pickling with the label "Hungarian Wax Sweet" attached to it. 

Here is what they look like on the plant:


They are nice, long yellow peppers that turn red if you ignore them.

Here's what they look like cut up into rings, swimming around in some vinegar, onion, and garlic:





My canning supplies just stay in the kitchen at this time of year, so I got some water boiling and put my empty jars in. For the first time EVER I am using wide mouth jars. 



And then after giving myself a spicy steam facial, I ended up with these:


It made 4 half-pint jars. I'm not a huge hot pepper person, but my son and daughter are, so they can enjoy these. 

I'm waiting on my tomatoes. They seem to be taking a little longer to turn red this summer. I've blanched and frozen many green and yellow beans which are always nice in the cold winter months. I have also made quite a few zucchini muffins, which I then froze. 
And now to wrap up my mid August post, here is a happy row of zinnias. I only just started planting zinnias in my vegetable garden last year and they made me so happy, I did it again this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment