Monday 29 May 2023

Pool Opening and a Different School

 Yesterday, we had both "kids" and the longtime boyfriend here helping with the opening of the pool. This is less glamorous than it may sound. It involved shop vacuuming all the refuse (spruce needles, cedar bits, other plant matter) that blew in and around the water bags that hold down the winter cover, removing the giant cover (it's a big tarp), spreading it out, sweeping, sweeping, sweeping, scooping more yuck from the bottom of the pool, cleaning up the outdoor furniture and retrieving cushions from their up-high winter storage place... The help was tremendous and a yummy supper of homemade burgers and macaroni salad ensued. 

Son had a soccer practise after supper (he's on the Over-18 team and as a 23 year old, he's probably the oldest one, but he enjoys it). Daughter and her boyfriend went for a nice long walk with me after supper. We spotted four rabbits. 

Today I am supply teaching at a school I have not taught at (other than one day of virtual teaching during the pandemic, so I don't even count that). It's a nice little "country" school and I'm hoping the day goes well. It is a grade 1/2 class. 

It's 6:49 a.m. and I'm typing this in the kitchen, as I just heard son leave the house to go to his construction job. They start early. He makes his lunch the night before and stashes it in the other fridge, grabbing it and heading out at this time every morning. He works hard and has applied for his ideal job, for which he trained at college. He will hopefully find out soon if he has been accepted. But in the meantime, he does construction work. 

Yesterday morning, before everyone arrived, I made stewed rhubarb to have as part of dessert. I remember an awful lot of stewed rhubarb as a kid. I did not particularly like it then. I've discovered that I don't particularly love it now. I served it with plain cake (no icing) and or vanilla ice cream. I think it will sit in the fridge for a while. I just feel obligated to do something with all that rhubarb. (And I still have bags of it frozen in the freezer...)

That's it for today. Have a nice day, everyone. 

20 comments:

  1. I also thought that pool cleaning was less glamorous than most people think. But my father was the filtration engineer for the Melbourne Olympics in 1956. Swimming, diving and water polo was key sports in those Games, so pool and water cleanliness were key concerns for the National Olympic Committee before and during the Games. My father was interviewed often by the newspapers and radio, Australian tv opening only once the Games started. And we got free tickets to water sports :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's very interesting! He would have been the go-to man for anyone with pool concerns, no doubt.

      Delete
  2. What's that old quote my Gran use to tell us ... "Many hands make light work".
    Thankfully you had some help with the pool re-opening. Now to wait for the water & days to warm up to enjoy. Fingers crossed your son gets notice soon about the dream job. For me rhubarb has to be baked into something. I'm not even a fan of strawberry rhubarb pie but I make to keep Mr Man happy. I should look for a rhubarb chutney recipe ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m happier with strawberry rhubarb pie than stewed rhubarb .

      Delete
  3. Hope that teaching day went well. It is so nice that everyone pitched in to help. Praying your son gets his 'good' job. We wish so much for our kids, don't we? I don't care for stewed rhubarb but I love rhubarb pie! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the day went well. They were a good group of kids.

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine the maintenance that is required for a pool. I'm sure it's worth it when the pool is ready for swimming.
    Good luck to your son. Have fun with the little ones today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There’s always something with a pool but when we have good hot summers it’s worth it.

      Delete
  5. I ate a lot of stewed rhubarb as a kid and enjoyed it. People don't serve it as much anymore. We're too hoity-toity for stewed rhubarb now, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pool opening does sound like lots of work. Making the job a group effort with a feast to follow and lots of enjoyment swimming over the Summer makes the effort all worthwhile. Stewed rhubarb with vanilla ice cream is an all time favorite. My grandmother grew rhubarb and served it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if I would like rhubarb now. It was never a favourite but I want to eat some now because it's not available here 😁 hope you'll have lots of hot swimming weather

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made rhubarb syrup ( more like a concentrate) and added it to my lemonade. I like it. I use most of mine for wine. I couldn't imagine having a pool. Do you use it often? Glad your kids are around. We are all scattered to the wind, so it is a big deal when we get together. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard that pool cleaning is not in the least glamorous. Bet you are glad that task is completed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Opening a pool" is a lot of work. I cannot imagine. I hope the day of teaching wet well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you get to use the pool enough after all that work!!
    I was going to suggest Rhubarb cordial/syrup.... possibly Rhubarb and Lime?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make a rhubarb sauce that everyone seems to like when served over cheesecake or sometimes vanilla pudding. Don't know if that's the same as your stewed rhubarb or not. And, yes, I was just looking out at my huge clump of beautiful rhubarb this early morning and feeling as though I need to "use" up more of it. Rhubarb pie is my very favorite so usually put two or three bags of it in the freezer for pies during the year. Having help with those yucky chores around the home always (always!) makes it more efficient . . . and fun, to boot! Glad you still enjoy your short teaching stints. And I'm sure the kiddies enjoy you as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Diced up rhubarb (small) is pretty good in a cake. I sometimes get Krusteaz crumb cakes -- don't know if they have them there -- and add some to the batter. Tartly tasty. But overall... not my fave!

    ReplyDelete