Friday 26 February 2021

Firsts and Lasts

First:  Today I saw the sun. It was glorious. It's the first time we've had lovely, continuous sun through the day. That doesn't mean it isn't still cold because it is, and the giant snowballs that the kids rolled on the yard earlier in the week froze into solid mountains of ice, but when the sun glinted off them, it looked beautiful. 

Last: I completed, signed, and gave out my last set of report cards this week. There should have been fireworks, or music, or at least a toast. There were none of those things, but it is all very surreal and real at the same time. I have no idea how many report cards I have written and signed over the years. The year I started teaching, we actually hand wrote them. The following year, we were introduced to typing them up ourselves. Now of course, it is a report card programme that we use, which isn't without faults and issues, and which really doesn't mean that you aren't spending hours and hours marking and creating comments and agonizing over a B or a B-. 

First: I made my first batch of cinnamon rolls a little while ago. I was determined to conquer my fear of all things "yeast". I've always thought proofing and rolling and kneading and allowing to rise and then punch down and rise again was all far too much trouble and beyond my capabilities. Here's how the whole thing panned out (ha ha!):









Verdict? Edible, but not pull-apart soft and heavenly. I didn't take a picture of them smothered in a cream cheese icing, but that made them much more enjoyable. I think practise will make perfect and I am not there yet. Don't know if I want to dedicate a big portion of my life to learning to make these when commercial bakeries seem to have the whole thing down pat!

Last: I've been watching the new version of All Creatures Great and Small and the last episode (for this season) aired this past week. I think they chose a great "Tristan". I've read all of the books, and enjoyed the earlier series and thought the casting was great then, too. Of course, I love all things involving farm animals and beautiful scenery. 

First: I chose a date on which to retire. The date I chose was March 19th. I thought I was being very clever, because March 19th is the Friday of the March Break. March Break is a week's holiday from school and teaching that happens every year in the middle week of March, usually including St. Patrick's Day. I thought it would be a perfect time to take my leave - the students would have been away from me for a week anyway, so a good time for a new teacher to step in, as well, I would still be earning money and not having to teach that week. Why is this categorized as a "first"? For the first time in the 31 years that I have been teaching, March Break is cancelled. The Ontario government and his royal tight-pantness Stephen Lecce, the minister of education, decided that it would be best if we do not have a week off in March for fear that people suddenly converge together and cause another spike in the virus. He decided to move it to April, when everyone is likely going to get together for Easter anyway. So yes, in this already surreal year, we've added a cancellation (well, technically a delay) of March Break. 

Last: This is the last puzzle I will borrow and complete from the puzzles that my colleagues have brought in for all of us to share during these times. It was pretty tough, but I'm glad I finished. 




To wrap up my post today, I shall provide you with not a first, not a last, but a constant. Here is Scooter-the-cat-with-no-tail in his usual position. As he breathed in his coma-like state, his back legs would pulsate up and down. Oh, to be that relaxed.



39 comments:

  1. You'll be as relaxed as Scooter once you retire! That is a very cool jigsaw puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a great deal of red and green. It took me longer than I expected. Today I dismantle it!

      Delete
  2. Hellooo - lovely buns madam!! what an absolute downer - choosing a clever retirement time then school isn't closing! Gah! All interesting to talk about at dinner parties in years to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, covid experiences will be the things that bond us later.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! The photo of Scooter is adorable. My dog likes to lay down right in front of wherever it is that I am working. He makes me step around him, trusting that I won't step on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always trust you won't step on them, don't they? I have tripped over cats many times in the past, as they weave their way through your feet while you walk.

      Delete
  4. You must be relieved that you finally have a date.
    Then you can join the cat in relaxation!
    Yeasted baking takes practice..and it's fun eating the practicing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it's relief I'm feeling. I will likely try these (or another recipe for cinnamon buns) again, as I bought a three-pack of yeast.

      Delete
  5. Best laid plans and all that! It will be great though when you relax that it's all behind you. That jigsaw looks a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's very little point in making plans at this time, is there?

      Delete
  6. They took away what we call Spring Break!? Right, what a horrible idea, make the year even weirder for the poor kids. Hope you enjoy your retirement - you surely earned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically, at this moment, the break isn't taken away, but is delayed by a few weeks.

      Delete
  7. How anti-climactic that all sounds, and it shouldn't be. Damn Covid. Retirement takes getting used to, but some day, you will get that little head-rush, a sense of relief when you realize your time is all your own now. I still get it periodically, and it'll be 4 years in June! Love Scooter, what a furry fellow! We have been enjoying 'All Creatures' as well. I've read all the books and seen the previous version. I have problems wrapping my head around how they change the story from the original...I guess it is 'poetic (or film) license!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you wrote that, about changing the story line. I thought I had completely forgotten how the story line went when I was watching. I didn't think the whole Helen thing was like that in the original.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed "All Creatures" also and am sorry the season is finished already. Congratulations on your retirement! I am retired 2 years now and I think I am finally getting used to the idea that I do NOT have to be busy and productive all of the time. It is quite all right to waste time all day if I want! It did take some getting used to, tho. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen, for writing this, and for Rosalea's comment as well. Everyone keeps asking me if I'm excited. I'm not feeling excited, I'm feeling like I have a perpetual list of "don't forgets" in my head to prepare for leaving teaching, and I'm a little concerned quite frankly. My career has been a huge part of my life. I agree that it will definitely take time getting used to this when it does happen.

      Delete
  9. We could learn a lot from cats. Especially on how best to relax. :)

    Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! From my experience, at first it just feels like vacation, but of course when I retired I was able to go on a vacation. However, I still highly recommend retirement - my days are as full or relaxed as I choose them to be.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to (when travel is possible) going on a vacation and not having to pay the inflated prices of Christmas or March Break. Yes, we could take a page from a cat's book.

      Delete
  10. Mae, I will have been retired for 10 years this summer... and the 2 best things about it for me are still "owning one's own time" and "naps"! After you get used to it, you will wonder how you ever found time to work. And I'm so glad you made those cinnamon rolls. I feel the same way about the 'yeast thing'... want to try and have on very limited occasions, but have never quite got the hang of it. My next want to do's are naan bread and pop-overs (no yeast involved).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think naan bread would be a wonderful thing to learn how to make! I can't even imagine my time being my own, but I am the world's worst napper. I envy those who can just drift off and have a nice little nap.

      Delete
    2. Jamie Oliver's naan bread is very quick and easy, I make it all the time.
      Retirement is wonderful, in the first week I was so excited to have spare time (Nannying for 7 years in home of 4 kids in 5 years) I powered on to make Sourdough, jam, relish, pasta sauce, washing powder and coconut and olive oil soap, also cast on a pair of socks and a shawl...I now pace myself 😁😁😁

      Delete
  11. It is wonderful that you are able to retire, and Congratulations! I want you to know that time will really fly by, now that you are on your own time. It has happened to me, and I can't really believe that it has been 5 years since I retired... where in the heck did the time go? Busy, busy every single day...so Hang on... the fun is just beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment about retirement. I have so many different emotions about it, but it sounds like it's been good for you!

      Delete
  12. So happy for you, Jenn! I know you will enjoy retirement, all that free time to work on your baking skills LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can at least have my own two kids eat the baked goods, as they are both at home right now. :)

      Delete
  13. Those rolls look mighty good. My daughter makes them now and again. Usually the kids eat them before we get a look in.
    Retirement, yehhh. Not long to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What exciting days are ahead for you. I know that right now your emotions must be very conflicted; it's a big change. But how wonderful it will be for you to have time to do all the things you love. And those rolls look absolutely edible to me. I used to make them by simply rolling out one loaf of a 4-loaf batch of bread dough, spread the dough with melted butter, sprinkle it heavily with cinnamon sugar, roll it up and bake. My boys loved it. Wednesdays were my bread-making days, so they were always in a hurry to get home that day to see if I'd made the rolls.With those 4 hungry boys, they didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Being retired! Yum. It will be a wonderful change. Sorry that tight pants tripped you up a bit mentally. But you can say good bye to your kids, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually not good with goodbyes. I have a history of avoiding goodbyes. I was a wee bit relieved that there wouldn't be that whole school assembly in the gym where someone stands up and invites me to the stage to do a goodbye. I really didn't want that. So... I'm kind of dreading that last day with my sweet little guys I have this year. Oh well, chin up, I suppose.

      Delete
  16. How wonderful you have a date, although not quite how you thought it should be. The days will whizz by and before you know it you'll be daytime napping with Scooter! (What fuzzy cops he has :))

    We, too, are All Creatures-ing, but the old series as we want to "catch-up". It's interesting that the actors did their own, ahem, vet stunts. I wonder if they will in the new series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read an article/interview with the actor who played James. He said they did do their own exams but that the real animals were replaced by fake ones for the more intimate and surgical scenes due to animal protection rules in filming!

      Delete
  17. I love that program "All Creatures". Being retired is a whole new ball game. Enjoy it, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jenn congratulations on your pending retirement. I am sure it is going to be one of those bitter sweet moments. I chuckled out loud about "his royal tight-pantness" The changing of March Break baffles me. Scooter looks very comfortable . I share in your fear of yeast baking but oh my those cinnamon buns look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful post!

    I think Scooter and the Dude should meet up and exchange tips on creative sleeping positions lol.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hip, hip, hooray! Although I was 'spared' the choosing of my retirement date, I am very glad I was pushed out the door. Spring is a wonderful time to start a new chapter! That puzzle looks devilishly hard - and it reminded me that I had one to start this winter...

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK, I'm going to try this again! I went to reply to another comment here on All Creatures before I posted my own! Figures. Anyway, three cheers and congratulations on the retirement. I think you will love it as you have passions and interests -- and of course, spring will be here and that makes it all the better, being able to be out a little more. I am adoring Scooter and his position in life is quite a good one. He is the epitome of cat Zen.

    I have yeast fear myself, and Rick mocks me on that because he uses it almost every day baking bread. I need to try. (In retirement you have plenty of time to be adventurous!) And All Creatures. Sigh. I was teary at the last episode. I agree on Tristan. I didn't at first -- Peter Davison was just such a big memory as Tristan. But after the second or third appearance, I was all in on this guy and that finale... perfection. I've been crushing on Siegfried too. I'll miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't know if I should write this or not . I had worked for 40 years for the same company when I retired . It was hard the last time I drove out the gate because that had been who and what I was and now it and maybe me was gone . That was five years ago and I have learned to enjoy my retirement and remembering back it seems like a different life time. So congratulations on your retirement and just slide into slowly and you will find your level before you know it. Sounds like you have a wonderful home and family and that alone will make all the difference in the world . Good luck

    ReplyDelete