Sunday 11 November 2018

Remembrance Day

source
It is quintessentially Canadian to hear or say this poem on November 11. All school children learn it. Not all say it properly. It's not meant to be read in a sing-song fashion, taking a break at the end of each line, but instead you should read it according to the punctuation. It's a tiny pet peeve of mine - the English major coming out, but I still find it to be very moving.

There is a cenotaph in almost every town. Even small towns have war memorials. Here are images to show you what they may look like.
source
source

Community members, members of local Legions, representatives from schools, kids who belong to Cadets, and a variety of others gather for Remembrance Day services. The Last Post is played on a trumpet, followed by a minute of silence, and then Reveille is played to end the silence. Wreaths are laid. Often the names of community members who served in war are read. A solemn parade brings those who officiate the service to the cenotaph. Sometimes bagpipes are involved. Bagpipes inevitably make me cry.

My memories of watching Remembrance Day services on tv are always of people like these.
The remaining veterans, and there are fewer and fewer, would be out there, proudly wearing the clothes that defined their regiment, in all kinds of weather. There would be a few poor old souls in wheel chairs with plaid wool blankets draped over their legs. I cannot imagine the memories that go through their minds at these services, and for that I am thankful.

12 comments:

  1. The words of that poem are very moving. I have just watched the laying of the wreaths at the Cenotaph in London. It is all very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched it too and wept at the terrible waste of life and at the expressions on the faces of the veterans (Second world war now of course)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many to honour and so many to be grateful to for their sacrifices. We must always remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made my kids memorize In Flanders Fields when they were young. I will have to ask them if they still know. Have you heard Leonard Cohen reading it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the battle of Gallipolis is my heart stopper. We buried ours and the Turks buried theirs, and it started all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your impressions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always like hearing that poem read on November 11th. Three years ago we were at the Guelph home of Lt Col McCrae when the poem was read live from Belgium on the 100th anniversary of the poem being written - it was so moving. The Lt Col John McCrae bronze statue they placed outside the museum is striking. Our little village's service would have had you in tears, we had 4 bagpipers today, it's when the last post is played that I cry. There were 10 of us ringing the church bell 100 times tonight at 5pm - it made me very teary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this poem. 100 years. What will the next hundred bring -- and don't we ever learn?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting that. It is a touching poem.

    Like Jeanie above me, I wonder....will we ever learn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely poem! My dad was a veteran, he's in my heart today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a bittersweet thing - how I wish we had learned from so many losses of past wars so as not to create a whole new generation of veterans. Bagpipes always make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We never had to learn that poem in school. In fact I don't recall reading it until adulthood, but its message is inspiring. We attended a Veterans Day parade in Nashua on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete