Saturday 17 November 2018

Northward Ho! - A College Visit

A couple of days ago, we embarked on a trip northward. Husband and I both booked a day off work and set up an appointment to take a campus visit at a possible college with our son. It was kind of a gamble, as I watched weather forecasts. We've been experiencing a hideously bleak, early winter type of November and the day I chose was the only "clear" one amidst snowy ones.

We started out bright and early (but in retrospect we should have been even earlier).  We knew we had a few hours ahead of us to get to our destination: Sudbury, Ontario. Quick history lesson - nickel / copper ore was discovered in the Sudbury basin when the transcontinental railway was being put in, in the late 1800's. Nickel mining dominated this remote, almost bi-lingual community for many years with boom and bust times corresponding to war requirements, and lumbering came in a close second as a main source of employment. Unfortunately, the sulfuric acid that resulted from smelting decimated the landscape and Sudbury was long known as a "wasteland". Later, efforts were made to reclaim the natural environment with some success. Thus endeth the lesson.

Our drive north was clear and uneventful, which is a good thing. As we got farther north, the landscape began to change dramatically. Where we live is a region known as the St. Lawrence, Great Lakes Lowlands - lots of topsoil, farmland, big lakes, populated... We were entering the region of Canada known as The Canadian Shield - igneous rock, water, trees, repeat.

Here are some images from our drive:


There was quite a bit of construction going on, as some parts of the highway are being transformed from one lane each way, to a double lane highway.


This shot reminded me of a Group of Seven painting. (A group of seven, plus two, Canadian artists who, among other things,  painted the wilderness of the Canadian north).


Here are a couple of examples of some famous paintings:





The top painting is by Frederick Varley and the bottom one, J.E.H. MacDonald. 

We saw a very interesting bridge on the way there. 

This is not a bridge for vehicles or people. I do apologize for the blurriness of the photo. We were driving. This is a wildlife overpass!! Due to the large number of deer, moose, and other animals in the area, and an area where collisions between such animals and vehicles is a serious danger, a multi-million dollar wildlife overpass has been built. You can't see from the photo, but tall fencing directs the animals toward the overpass. The overpass itself is planted with vegetation, so it is like the natural surroundings that the animals would already be used to. I checked out the web and there are photos and videos of animals (moose, bear, deer...) using it. I just love this idea! There are apparently culverts as well, in other areas, built for this purpose. 


We eventually got to Sudbury, found the college, and did our tour. Our two tour guides, young women who are currently enrolled in health sciences, did a fantastic job of showing us around, and answering questions. We don't know if this is where our son will end up. There is another college in Ontario that offers the programme he is interested in, so we will also tour that one (totally opposite direction, not quite as far). He will apply before Christmas and we will see how things go. 

I managed to get a little choked up thinking of him being so far away. Why is it a little harder when it is your second / last one leaving home? Of course I was teary when our daughter left, but I guess I knew she was only barely two hours from home, and I still had another child living at home. He would be about five hours away, in an area that feels so foreign and different. Perhaps. Oh well, suck it up mama, you wanted your children to be independent, self-confident individuals!!

What is the last part of the story? Well that would be the weather (of course). What was a clear day with even about five minutes of partial sunshine ("Ahhhhhh" - angels singing), became a snowy mess on the drive home. It was almost laughable as we proceeded down the highway watching snowplows/ salters/sanders travelling in the opposite direction. Over and over we saw snow removal equipment going northward as we were travelling southward. Then we had to find a gas station, the first one being closed!!! What should have taken about 4.5 hours ended up taking over 6 hours. We were exhausted upon our arrival home, but glad to be there. 

39 comments:

  1. A moose bridge? Brilliant. So tough when the kids leave home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched more videos and lots of other animals use it too - cranes, coyotes, rabbits, fishers...

      Delete
  2. I remember seeing the wild animal bridges when we were driving through Canada years ago. Costly, but one has to weigh in the cost of personal injury and vehicle damage (from hitting said wildlife) which, I think, makes the construction of said bridges worthwhile.

    You also brought back memories of taking our daughter to visit various campuses years ago. Funny, but she never was enthused about the ones I was. She made her own choice (which was as it should have been) but only stayed there one year. (Ha, Mom said!) Good luck with your continued search for the right place for your son. And don't worry, you'll be fine once he's off and gone. Different, but fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll still have him until next September anyway. He is looking at only about three places due to his choice of programme, so that helps to narrow it down.

      Delete
  3. Interesting stuff about Canada! For such a huge country and in the commonwealth I really knew very little though I could name the Great lakes.
    I'm learning more through all these blogs and of all things Canadian knitting podcasts!
    Beautiful and varied countryside

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In turn, I learn a lot about your country through your blog!

      Delete
  4. We go to a cottage VERY close to that bridge. I love that part of the country. We also have the pleasure of driving from one end of Algonquin Park to the other to get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually thinking of you when I was writing this, knowing where you live and the connection between Algonquin and the Group of Seven.

      Delete
    2. aww, thanks Jenn. When we were at the cottage this summer we got smoked out by the forest fires. You could hardly see 100 yards ahead of you on the highway. Speaking of which, they've been working on that highway as long as we have been going to that cottage. I wonder when it's going to be finished??

      Delete
  5. I love the drive. Did your son go, too?
    The animal escape routes are brilliant. It's a long way down those bluffs and back up the other side. I live in the beginning of those mountain ranges. I've always been fascinated by the drilling marks on the cliffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, he was with us! I guess that wasn't clear. Do you have similar animal overpasses where you live?

      Delete
  6. Snow! Significant snow! Talking of exclamation marks, the town of Westward Ho! in England is the only one in the country to have one. Useless fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd heard of Westward Ho, but didn't know from where. I guess I may also have been thinking of Wagons Ho! (Is that a movie??) Things in my head...

      Delete
    2. Westward Ho! is a real town. possibly the only town in the WORLD with an exclamation mark.

      Delete
    3. It is probably to do with the early postal service or tin mines.

      Delete
    4. It was to do with Charles Kingsley's novel, which believe it or not came first.

      Delete
  7. That was so interesting. I remember taking my son to at least four different Universities. One an hour away, three in Florida, which we made a whole two week vacation out of, renting a 1970's VW Caravan Bus and camping, that was lots of fun, happy memories. He toured Temple just 30 minutes away and then he visited two in NY state, Syracuse and Ithaca. He landed up going to Ithaca, which is a four hour drive from us. I must say when we went up to visit him we always enjoyed it because it is such a beautiful area in the Finger Lakes. Those animal over passes are most interesting. I love visiting Canada, it's on my radar for next year. Ottawa is about a ten hour drive for us, directly north and it's a nice drive, no skirting round huge cities. I hope your son finds what he likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of visiting! Our daughter knew which university she wanted to go to, applied, got in, done deal. Son is looking at colleges vs. universities because he wants to be completely employable when he graduates. A degree is something husband and I feel very strongly about, as both of us are university educated, but these days just having a B.A. does not guarantee a job/career. He is doing a co-op in his final year of highschool at a nuclear power plant and has found out what programme he needs to be employed there, so that is why he is looking at colleges. Practical thinking. Ottawa is many hours from us. Believe it or not, I've never been there!

      Delete
  8. It would have been horrible driving home in that snow. It was a bit of a nightmare here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the kind where you couldn't have your high beams on, if you can relate, but it was more the road conditions than anything. We just had to take it slowly and take main roads home, rather than cutting 'cross country.

      Delete
  9. Those pictures on your drive north remind me of the area I grew up in PA. Very similar rock formations and wildness.

    I hope your son isn't too far from home. You are never prepared to lose the youngest one...unless they are really BAD! lol It is life-changing and you suddenly realize that you are back where you started- alone with your hubby with a different life path before you. However, once you get used to that- you will love it....and before you know it they will be married and bringing grandbabies home (just not too soon, right?)....lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem, he's a good kid! (Ha, so was our daughter). That's neat that your childhood was of a similar environment. Don't know how husband and I will do as empty nesters... hope we both come out alive!

      Delete
  10. Fingers crossed that your son gets in. I agree that being employed after college/university is the goal. Smart son checking where he's enjoying his co-op program what they need for full time. So many of the univ students at the clinic had to go back after 3/4 years at univ to take "trade" education to be employable ... but no education is every wasted - inhale books, exhale knowledge ... I really like the animal overpasses - Mr Man's business travel is often in that region so he watched as they built. Same type in Alberta's parks. Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about blogging- all these connections! Yes, I know that many university grads end up back in college. Different times than when I was at school thirty or so years ago.

      Delete
  11. Oh how I remember those campus trips . Trying to be so upbeat for the child and yet your insides are screaming at the thought of what these trips mean. Longing to hold your child safe and secure and untouched by the big, bad world for a few more years.

    I heard some comments a while ago about how many members of different wildlife families the bridges have possibly saved on the highways of the northwest and into Canada. They use wildlife cameras to help find out about the crossings as well as to gage the health of the animals. Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, apparently they have been able to track the decrease in accidents/fatalities.
      Friends of ours had one daughter go to a university about 8 hours away. Not easy.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the drive way up north! I feel for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drive up there was beautiful, just the way back was tedious.

      Delete
  13. Campus trips are both good and scary. My daughter/son might live here... We did three of them, and all turned out well. They all graduated and found jobs, got married and gave us gr-kids.

    It has been a long time since we have driven in snow. Just as glad we don't have to, altho your photos are so beautiful.

    I read your portfolio and enjoyed it. You and I share much, except I am way older than you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed the read. That sounds like a real northern wasteland. I hope he finds the course he wants and one that will be most useful for securing his chosen career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's daunting, I think, to have to decide your life at (currently) age 18.

      Delete
    2. One can always make changes later, cut one's coat according to one's cloth sort of thing, within a chosen field, or go outside it completely later. I always say to young people that they do not feel tied to one thing forever.

      Delete
  15. I enjoyed viewing those rocky scenes, for I've never been to Canada before.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I think back to when Sudbury looked like a wasteland, and the way that the city has rebranded itself, it is quite remarkable. And the journey up there through Group of Seven country stirs my Canadian inner being. I don’t know whether you have ever visited the McMichael Gallery in Kleinburg, where there is not only a fine representation of the Group of Seven, but much other Canadian art, but if you have not it is well worth while. I have a friend who owns an original A.Y. Jackson painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of the Kleinburg gallery but have never been. I know what you mean about feeling very Canadian, driving through that setting.

      Delete
  17. Oh gosh...a wildlife overpass. That is absolutely brilliant! I wish there were more of those around.

    I felt the same way when the younger one left for university. As long as I still had one child at home, it wasn't as overwhelming. Still. I'm glad both my children left home young and have become amazingly strong and independent young women. I guess we can't have it both ways :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yikes. I'm so glad you made it home safely. It sounds like quite a trip -- beautiful in many ways -- till the snow hits. That does feel far for your youngest...

    I love the idea of the wildlife overpass. And also, so glad you mentioned the Group of Seven. Rick was familiar with them but until I went to England I'd not heard of them. But we saw a guitar exhibit (I'll post about it eventually!) where seven luthiers each designed a guitar based or inspired by the work or life of a different Group of Seven artist. I loved the guitars but was more inspired by the artists' work.

    ReplyDelete