Monday 12 August 2024

How the birthday gathering went

 We spent a lot of time gearing up for husband’s 60th, including construction completion from him, details on the pool house. Son built corn hole boards, daughter ordered a fantastic cake. 



The weather did not, however, cooperate. We caught the tail end of Debby, I think, with wind, clouds, a little rain and a little sun. We started out at the pool house and the wind picked up and a bit of rain fell so we took a vote and moved everything into the house. I had only run the vacuum around and cleaned the bathroom, but everyone piled in and we still had a great time. 


I am terrible for not taking pictures at parties, but I did get a picture of the cake. Those shiny details are actually chocolate and everything on the cake has special meaning for husband. It was utterly delicious and even with sharing with guests, there was still so much that I froze some today for another time. 

We had burgers from a local butcher and I made pulled pork, coleslaw, macaroni salad, and potato salad for the dinner. For appetizers, I made deviled eggs ( those all got eaten!), Tostito chips and salsa, cheese and crackers, a big fruit platter, little mini sweet peppers cut in half topped with cream cheese and topped with Everything Bagel seasoning or red pepper jelly, and my first attempt at pickled eggs ( apparently they were good). 

We have lots of drinks left over likely because it wasn’t a hot day with people in the pool. The weather wasn’t conducive to playing corn hole either but we played just as a family the next day and that was fun. 

It was nice to have our family and friends together. I feel like I can relax and chill out now. I have a couple of books to read. Husband and I just started watching The Black List on Netflix and are loving it ( yes, I know we are a little late with it). My garden is only just so-so this summer but we’ve had green beans and some peas and lettuce. I just picked my first two ripe tomatoes ( yay!) but it won’t be a bumper crop. I’m not sure I’ll get any sweet bell peppers, but there are jalapeños. I’ll pickle some for son. There are carrots, beets, and potatoes, but I grew ONE zucchini!!! Who only manages to get only one zucchini?!? (me). Regardless, I still love to do it.

I hope August has been good so far for anyone reading this! 

19 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your hubby. Sounds like a wonderful time. The cake is super fun. Guy next door gave me cherry tomatoes. Oh my yum. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Party sounds wonderful !!
    What is it with deviled eggs? For years we couldn’t give them away. They are now gone before you walk in the door with them!
    Goatldi

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect celebration. Wishing him a happy 60th from West Virginia!
    We had very few zucchini this year, which as you say is very strange. They bloomed, but didn't set fruit. On the plus side, I have been able to use ALLof them, a rare feat. As you say, not the best garden year, but considering the weather, not as bad as it could have been.
    You will enjoy all that work on the pool, pool house, yard, etc, later on. I bet it feels good to have it all done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Big Six Oh to your husband! And what a FABULOUS cake! And it is always a treat to have devilled eggs -- so few people make them nowadays, I find. When I was a kid, they were an absolute staple at any entertainment gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The perfect celebration...and that cake was just right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like it was fun and memorable and the cake details were very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it was a great day besides the weather. Lovely for you all inside or out. I bet the guests didn't mind a bit. Something more to remember.
    I'm another one who makes savoury/curried/devilled eggs. The grandkids love them and they disappear quickly. Something different from greek food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Your celebration feast sounds really terrific! Happy belated 60th to your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shame about the weather but the food and party sound wonderful.
    Gardens are hit and miss here too. My brother said their plants only produced one zucchini too. My cherry tomato however has gone beserk and I'm pulling more fruit off every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel so bad knowing others only got one, too.

      Delete
  10. Happy 60th to your hubby, Mae! That chocolate cake looks delicious... and as for gardening, we got only one green pepper... everything else died in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a wonderful celebration. Beautiful cake, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry about the rain but it does sound like a terrific party and the best part of any party is the company. That sounded just as good as the food (which must have been delicious!) and that glorious cake. I've never done pickled eggs. They sound tasty! Now, rest and relax for a few!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like a wonderful party, full of good friends and family. That cake looks awesome.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you certainly made the best of it. Happy Birthday to your husband.
    We are watching older things on pbs passport. I am always late to the game lol.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely! He's a fortunate fellow to have you and his loved ones so.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, I'm stopping by to say thank you for your kind thoughts and condolences on Eddies passing.

    I do hope to get back to regular blogging soon.
    In the meantime, my thanks again to you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete