Wednesday 29 May 2024

Rhubarb Time

 The title is a bit misleading. It’s been rhubarb time for a couple of weeks already but I haven’t done a ton with it. I made a strawberry rhubarb pie to take to a friends’ cottage and I made strawberry rhubarb crisp for husband, son, and I. 

I still have frozen rhubarb and jars of strawberry rhubarb jam from a couple of years ago ( yes, they keep that long). 

Daughter and future son-in-law invited us for dinner tomorrow night. Nice! I got a text the other day asking if it would be possible to make a rhubarb type of dessert to bring along. Well sure! So tonight I am making the unfortunately named “ Rhubarb Dump Cake”. 

Forgive me if I’ve posted about this before. I’m too lazy to check my side bar to see if I have ( or if I even included it in my side bar!). This is easy peasy. However if you are someone who prefers their dessert not sweet, low cal, and generally sad and miserable, this is not for you.


1. Spray the bottom of a 9x12 baking dish. Add four cups ( or more so you get a decent covering on the bottom of the baking dish) of freshly sliced or frozen rhubarb.



Aren’t the colours gorgeous?

1 1/2. Let the cat in. Sigh.



2. Sprinkle with a 3 oz box ( small box) of strawberry jello.



3. This is where some recipes differ: 3/4 cup white sugar. ( other recipes don’t call for sugar) I sprinkled on a little less than what was called for.


4. Sprinkle a full package ( dry) of yellow or white cake mix on top.



5. Melt 1/2 cup of butter and pour evenly over the top. Do not mix together!

6. Pour aprx. 1 2/3 cup to 2 cups of cold water on top.


7. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for aprx. 45 minutes to an hour. Remember, don’t stir it altogether.



When it’s done, there might be some small patches of dry cake mix, but that will be dealt with if you eat it with a little cream or milk or vanilla ice cream! 


Here it is out of the oven ( Joanne’s tea towel!)

There are many dump cake recipes out there. I’ve made the one that uses a can of blueberry pie filling and a can of crushed pineapple. I’ve also made a pumpkin dump cake that uses a spice cake mix that is so good! True, none of these are going to be featured on The Great British Baking Show, but when you want something quick and dirty, a dump cake with some vanilla ice cream ( get the French vanilla kind) is the way to go!

17 comments:

  1. Sounds very jnteresting! A friend has rhubarb, so I will ask her for some. I just planted mine (again) this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my very first rhubarb patch that I planted years and years ago. It has always produced well (wish everything else in the garden did!)

      Delete
  2. That sounds great! I will have to give it a try. I didn't think my rhubarb was ready yet. Boy was I wrong. It was just very short for some reason this year. I have plenty frozen to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is rhubarb season. I have heard of dump cakes but never made one. Nothing wrong with easy and tasty.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stewed rhubarb, without sugar added, may be a little tart for most peoples' taste, so we eat it on top of delicious white rice pudding. Plain yoghurt is also good, but rice pudding is not as sloppy as yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stewed rhubarb is not something I enjoy, but have at it!

      Delete
  5. Dump cake looks like a variation on an English 'crumble' (butter, sugar, flour). Have you ever considered making a dump cake the other way up - cake mix on the bottom, fruit on top and letting the fruit sink into the cake as it rises and bakes? ...sort of clafouti style

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to try some rhubarb again. Such a distinct taste. Your wee cat is so wistful. 'let me in. Pleaaase' gorgeous photo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhubarb has been on my mind lately too. I'm going to try this dump cake, thanks for the idea and recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cake mix and jello on my shopping list! I have made a rhubarb loaf so far with this year's rhubarb. I never seem to have enough to get it in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhubarb is one of my favourite fruits. Harvey transplanted ours so I can't pick any this year and I will really miss it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so interesting. I don't have any rhubarb but I might have to scare some up. It looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know what happened to my 5 year old rhubarb patch. It has been stunted; only barely sticking out of the ground for weeks. Your rhubarb dessert looks divine! I noticed rhubarb at the store (Nebraska), but it was $4.83 for 3 or 4 stalks. Good heavens! In the Fall, I will have hubby transplant it to a new spot, and will enrich the soil wherever it goes. That means I cannot pick any next year, but in the long run, it will be worth it. We love rhubarb in many forms, but our favorite is cherry rhubarb freezer jelly; a big treat, espcially in the winter when you get to experience that fresh rhubarb flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've ever had rhubarb. I recall their leaves are poisonous.

    ReplyDelete