Tuesday 5 September 2023

Chili Sauce Day

 My house currently smells like (to me) abundance, contentment, love, goodness, harvest, autumn, and the happy parts of childhood.

Yes, it's chili sauce day. I have posted about this before. This concoction is not a hot, spicy type of condiment. It is more like a cinnamon spice sweet / tomato-y slightly thick sauce that pairs perfectly with sausage or roast pork or roast chicken thighs. 


Clean jars awaiting their contents.

It is a perfect way to use up some tomatoes and it does not require a lot of ingredients. I will share my mother's recipe for those who are interested:


Ingredients being brought up to a boil.



After boiling down for about an hour.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maureen's Chili Sauce

Ingredients for a small batch (can easily be doubled):

-9 good sized tomatoes

-1 large yellow onion

-1 tbsp salt

-1/2 cup white vinegar

-2 cups white sugar

1/4 tsp allspice (or more if desired)

1 tsp cinnamon


Drop clean tomatoes into a boiling water bath for a minute or so, then place in cold water so they can be cored and peeled. I also de-seed some of them as I'm doing this. Chop roughly.

Chop onion into medium to small pieces.

Put all ingredients into a large pot (like a small soup /stock pot) and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to a low boil/ brisk simmer and occasionally stir for aprx. 2 hours (you want a lot of the liquid to boil away and for it to be somewhat "thick")

Ladle into 1/2 pint, or 1 pint jars - process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I double the recipe and it makes aprx. 9 1/2 pint jars. I like to give these away to family members. 


I do realize that I am canning on perhaps the hottest day that we have had since July. But that's all part of the process. These beautiful early September days are when all the good things happen. I might also do yet another batch of zucchini muffins (chocolate chip this time), to stick in a large freezer bag and freeze for later. 


(Yes, I made these while I was waiting for the sauce to boil down.)



This last one is for Joanne, whose tea towels are still as perfect as the day I received them as a gift!

It made 6 half pints and 2 full pints.


On a whole other note, and yes, this is where we get personal, I've been dealing with digestive issues for five, yes five, weeks. I'm not going to go into detail, but whatever you guess is probably correct. And if you are from Ontario, you know that I can't see my doctor for 4 weeks (at the time I tried to make the appointment). I stopped taking supplements that were somewhat new to me, as I thought perhaps that was what was causing my gut angst. I stopped coffee and the minimal amount of alcohol that I was consuming. Parasites, etc. were ruled out. To not avail, I decided to take matters in my own hands while waiting the weeks and weeks to see my actual doctor (I did get to see a nurse practitioner who ordered the tests to rule out creepy crawlies, but that's all she did).

I researched (because I'm good at researching and learning and applying and all that) the low FODMAP diet and the elimination diet. So as of six days ago I am religiously following this elimination diet (basically eliminates all foods in five categories that are known to cause intestinal distress). After you follow this for at least two weeks, or more, if you are seeing that your symptoms have significantly calmed down, then you move onto the reintroduction phase. It's all laid out and easy for me to follow and I'm keeping meticulous notes. In fact, my digestive issues have already 90% settled down. I am now VERY curious to determine what the heck it was that put me in the place I was in for 5 weeks. 

My question to you, dear readers, is have you ever "suddenly" developed a sensitivity to something that was never an issue before, but now absolutely is? I know it happens. I know people can develop hay fever having never had problems before. I know allergies can occur for no particular reason ( or for reasons that people suspect but will be called out on if uttered publicly). I wonder if some of my medications to suppress estrogen and progesterone, or my bone-builder infusions (Zometa) (all a result of my breast cancer this past year) have contributed? (No, I did not have chemo). My sister, for those who regularly read, almost died last year and was in the ICU and for a while, it was unknown what the actual cause was until finally a targeted allergy test determined that she is now deathly allergic to ibuprofen!! Yup, good old Advil that people take for their aches and pains all the time! She had never, ever had problems before. 

So please chime in if you've discovered you suddenly can't consume dairy, or wheat, or onions (lord, I already miss onions and garlic, which I have to currently eliminate), or whatever. Also, tell me if you are canning anything right now. We homesteaders need to stick together! 

40 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are on the right track. My husband developed a sudden allergy to shellfish in his early 40s. My granddaughter is dealing with a lot of sudden allergies, including peaches! My stomach/intestinal problems were all gall bladder related. So much better since it is gone. I hope you soon figure this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm I shall ask about that when I eventually see my doctor.

      Delete
  2. Oh, and canning. It is slowing down for me since I keep running out of jars. But tomorrow will be corn and potato chowder, and maybe stuffed peppers in the freezer. Grape juice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be using a pressure cooker, are you? Grape juice! From your own grapes?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I use a pressure canner regularly. And the grapes are from our grape arbor, Concords. Tbe other vines, with red and Niagara, were stripped by the deer, sadly. I am just hoping the vines survive. They are almost 50 years old.

      Delete
  3. I've known 3 people who have developed new or sudden allergies in mid-life or later. Your chili sauce and muffins look dee-lish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s very odd to me, but I might be surprised with what I find.

      Delete
  4. My daughter went through that elimination process several years back and has been gluten-free, dairy-free ever since. She carefully watches what she eats and I always make sure to cook gluten-free, dairy-free when she visits. I have even turned our Thanksgiving dinner into a gluten-free, dairy-free dinner and it tastes delicious. Luckily, there are a lot more gluten-free, dairy-free options and recipes out there now, altho, gluten-free products usually cost more.
    Wishing you the best of luck at discovering what will work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sincerely hope it isn’t something that drastic, or perhaps just lactose. We shall see.

      Delete
  5. I developed an allergy to shellfish all of a sudden. I was so sick tried it again after 3 times I'm done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, thankfully, I have not had that issue at all. It sounds absolutely horrid and I hope that you've been able to identify what the trigger might have been.
    I remember reading of your sister's illness, and it's mind boggling that the problem was a common pain remedy. I'm glad they eventually figured it out and she survived the ordeal.
    Your chili sauce sounds delicious. I have a few tomatoes remaining and I may have to give it a go.Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was shocking when it was finally figured out, but I'm so glad that she now knows and can avoid ibuprofen.

      Delete
  7. Your elimination diet sounds very good. 90% resolved is excellent. Waiting a month to see a doctor seems longer than it should be. Before Covid, doctors were more accessible. Today, we are told to go to a walk-in clinic or for more urgent care the ER. Your chili sauce sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been able to access a doctor for years (life in rural Ontario). Yes, we have had to use the ER, but now most of them "close by" are closed.

      Delete
  8. Like Judy, certain sea products turned on me. On reflection, shell fish covers it. Lobster, scallops, mussels, and that's where I quit experimenting and just gave up shellfish.
    My canning days are so far over, by thirty years or so. Glad I can still weave towels! My biggest memories of canning are that it did not end when school started; when I came in from school, mom was still at it and I started all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, early September is definitely canning time for me because of when tomatoes ripen.

      Delete
  9. Years ago my 4 year old daughter suddenly had stomach aches after every meal. Her pediatrician said to eliminate all dairy to start as that is often the most likely culprit. Her pains went away and we were thankful for a quick diagnosis. The pediatrician said that sometimes a virus can eliminate all her good bacteria in her stomach, making it painful or impossible to digest dairy. A supplement of acidophilus began putting the good bacteria back in and within 3 months, she was back to "normal" eating dairy without issue.

    As for canning, I've done cherries, peaches, applesauce, spaghetti sauce, salsa and pizza sauce. I still have to do grape juice and pears. I recently realized that in the last 10+ years, the only tomato product I've purchased was ketchup. All others have been home canned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am taking a probiotic as well as doing this elimination diet. You are correct in that suggestion!

      Delete
    2. Carla you might be onto something there - simple things can upset the balance and diversity of gut bacteria and we not realize it has happened until there is something we can't digest. Its a pity there isn't an easy way to work that out and target the imbalance.

      Delete
  10. You are woman after my own heart. I too was canning on the hottest day of the year. There is nothing more satisfying then dining on a meal you provided from your own work in depths of winter. On the health front, in my thirties bananas suddenly gave me extremely painful stomach cramps. I couldn't look at a banana without cringing. Then ten years later, it was over. I tried a banana and no pain. Sorry you are having such a time of things. I hope you figure things out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suffered with gut issues for a few years. I can throw up with no warning! My family has a lot of stomach and colon cancer, crohns and ulcerative colitis. I've had a Lot of tests, colonoscopy, gastroscopy, the works. Like you, I did the elimination routine at the suggestion of my daughters gastro enterologist. I'm seriously allergic to onions! I have ulcers too. All new stuff! My partner suddenly developed irritable bowel syndrome, which sounds like your issue. Aren't we the lucky bunch of happy campers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no family history. I am suspecting IBS, but really, I think they just use that as a blanket statement when they eliminate other things. Hopefully I'll find out.

      Delete
  12. As soon as this confounded heat breaks I'll start the chilli sauce. I mostly make it for my adult grandson who loves the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been thinking of making chilli sauce all summer. I think today I'll get out the jars and gather the ingredients. It's easy enough and I love it with just about anything.
    Good luck with the food map.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That chilli sauce sounds good....but no chillis in it?! A lovely photo of them on Joanne's towel too, a good match!
    We have eased off animal milk and it seems to have stopped the cataargh (sp?) But we are ok with cheese and yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct, no chilli peppers at all. I guess it's more like a chutney.

      Delete
  15. No, but I am reading labels more often. They are adding biogenetically made ingredients to food now. My husband loves perch, but the coating he bought now adds those ingredients. We typically stay a meat and veggie type meal, but we really watch labels now. They add soy to many things, including canned tuna. It's tuna and they have to add soy to it?? Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been canning all summer. Lots of tomato sauce,salsas, and pressure canned beans and meals. This spring I splurged on an All American and it's one of the best investments I've made. I have lots of zucchini so I think I'll do some bread up for the freezer too. I enjoyed your post. I've been on Zometa in the past but not now. After I was on a certain chemo I developed a type of IBS. When ever I ate I then immediately had to go the bathroom. This actually went on for years until I started using some cholestyramine, which did the trick for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your own experiences. For me, it's tough to figure this out because there are too many possible reasons. Don't know what an All American is (pressure cooker?).

      Delete
  17. The chili sauce recipe looks like a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A year and a half ago I developed severe diarrhea that just wouldn't stop. I got so weak I couldn't get out of the tub so my husband called 911. I ended up in hospital for 5 weeks in isolation. It took them a while to determine the cause. Lots of tests, some very unpleasant, plus a blood transfusion. It turned out to be campylobacter. I was so weak when I got home I had to have physio therapy to be able to climb stairs. Then I develped heart failure due to the stress of it all. I'm much better but I still can't eat before I go out for fear of a bathroom emergency. It was a terrible ordeal. The culprit might have been a grape I pilfered to taste without washing it. Yikes! Just thought I'd share this to remind people to wash all fruits and veggies before eating them. A similar thing happened to a friend but she wasn't as ill. The culprit - a fresh pineapple. The skin was contaminated and when she sliced into the pineapple the bacteria was transferrred to the flesh. Who knew? Hugs, Elaine (in Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine I had campylobacter in 2010..it usually originates in chickens...so as a veggie how I got it is another question. I still have to keep on eating live yoghurt and blue cheese to keep on an even keel...and no fasting

      Delete
    2. To both Elaine and GZ, many years ago (26??) I became inexplicably ill, so ill that I was hospitalized, tests were run, I had a central line put in… and was told they thought it was Chrone’s disease. I was put on huge amounts of prednisone which was a mental nightmare for me. Finally, after a second colonoscopy, it was discovered I had an amoebic infection and was treated for it. I have lasting physical and psychological results from various things that happened when I was so unwell.
      This time around is much different without getting into specifics and they’ve already run O and P tests and something else? with no results.
      I honestly think it’s a sensitivity that I’ve developed and I’m much better for the most part with this elimination diet and good probiotics. It isn’t sustainable because it is very limiting but I believe if it was bacterial or parasitic, it wouldn’t matter what I was eating, it would just continue.

      Delete
  19. Wow -- that's a frustrating one. Well, it sounds like you are doing all the right things under the circumstances but sad you have to take that on your own. My asthma developed as an adult, and lung issues. But so far so good with other food or tolerance-related things. I hope they can figure it out (or you can) and get it under control. (And I really hope it isn't onions or garlic!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lisa 🐐🐓 Doucette 🤓8:27 am, October 09, 2023

    My moms neighbour developed an allergy to lobsters in her 50s which is not a good thing since her husband and sons are lobster fisherman. So did my mother in law. I can’t eat eggs anymore which is bad since we have 20 hens and I love eggs. Yet I can eat them if they’re cooked in something. But just an egg (fried, boiled, scrambled etc) causes projectile vomiting. Since my heel surgery 3 years ago coffee makes my tummy upset so I’ve had to switch to Earl Gray tea.
    Good luck.
    Lisa
    Spring Peeper Farm

    ReplyDelete