Wednesday 5 July 2023

Those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer

 It's July the 5th and it feels like summer and I love it. As I've said before, you will not hear me complain about the heat. I have very distinct memories of sub zero wind whipping snow into my face and the cost of heating this old house during those long winter months. 

They are definitely hazy days of summer, with the humidity and some lingering smoke now and again from the fires (many caused by arsonist humans by the way). However, they are not lazy. Husband has a list as long as his arm and every day he is doing something by way of fixing, building, improving, investigating... Currently, he is trying to figure out where the last little leak is happening in the pool situation. He's already done a bunch of work on the skimmer. Ahhh, pools. They are fun, and the "fun never ends", there's always something that needs doing.


Our resident pool boy, Murphy, thinks that the pool area is his own personal oasis. He has been supervising all the work that husband has done. 


As well, he continues to insist upon his almost daily floatie ride. Yes, he's the one who wants it. He will come to the edge of the pool and meow, or if the floatie is on the deck, he stands on it and meows. He is an anomaly of a cat.


On the other hand (paw), this is about as close to water as Scooter is going to get. He rarely comes onto the pool deck, and if he does, he hurries briskly to disappear through the fence. 


My new hens are keeping me busy. They are very, very slowly figuring out the place. Night time is a process where almost all of them go into the coop by 9:00 p.m., but there is still one silly girl who sits just at the bottom of the ramp to go into their little chicken door and I literally have to pick her up and stick her inside. 


Here is some of the flock. The very dark hens are laying, although still sometimes on the floor of the coop instead of in a nesting box and one almost always lays a brittle shelled egg ON THE RAMP inside the coop, where by it rolls down the ramp and breaks. (Yes, they have oyster shell for added calcium). One of the grey with darker head hens is also laying, but I don't know which one.


It is somewhat hard to tell, but the lighter egg is much smaller than the others. New layers often start out laying smaller eggs, or sometimes double yolked eggs, which we've already experienced.


My vegetable garden is growing well, with rutabagas being a real winner. 




They were an experiment this year, so who knew! I have a resident rabbit (or rabbits, because quite frankly they all look the same, so I might be seeing a different one every time) who is being a bit of a pest and the garden covers that husband made for me years ago have come in handy to cover young plants. In fact, I could use a lot more. 


The cover in the above picture is over top of beets. I have other beets that weren't covered and when I chased Peter Rabbit out of the garden, he honestly had a beet leaf still in his mouth! 

The monstrosity covered up in the same picture by row covering is a couple of zucchini plants. I have been so disappointed in the past few years with zucchini, cucumbers and pumpkins being decimated by squash beetles (little yellow striped demons) that I swore I was never going to plant them again. Then I purchased some row covering from Amazon and bought some zucchini plants. I've kept them covered, watering as needed, and even pulling back the cover to perform pollination (getting quite good at it and have a few close to harvest size). I now realize I should have cut a larger size of row covering and may bring out the large piece I have left over and switch it up. 

I know that I have the dastardly beetles because in my "compost garden" (where plants just grow from things that have been thrown into the compost and I let them thrive there), they are attacking the cucumbers that are crawling their way around the compost bin. I shall let that happen as a diversion in the hopes that they never discover a sneaky way to get under the cover on the zucchinis. 

So far, I have harvested different kinds of lettuce, arugula, and spinach for salads. With this heat (currently 28 degrees, feels like 33) and the sprinkler put on late in the day, the garden should continue to explode over the next few days!

We've also had some fun, with the kids at the pool and camp fires in the evening. This picture only captures three of us. 


It's hard to get good camp fire pictures. If there was "scratch and sniff" with blog photos, this picture would smell like wood smoke and bug spray!


To finish, here is a close up of some spiderwort and spirea Antony Waterer which are both blooming right now. The bees are loving it.

27 comments:

  1. What a crazy cat! My husband would love him. Well, so would I. Your pool looks so inviting. It is alreadyb85 degrees here and not even noon yet. I wish I could enjoy heat as you do, but I detest it.
    Your garden looks great. And kudos on hand pollinating! That takes dedication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I open up the coop in the morning and take care of food and water, my next stop is the zucchini plants to check for blossoms. Once I figured out what to do, it was easy.

      Delete
  2. Murphy the Floatie Fanatic! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is going so well! Love your pool cat...and scooter who scoots away!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all looking great. We have had a bumper crop of strawberries and raspberries this year and today picked the first broad beans and courgettes. Glad your girls are settling in. My young one with the difficult start is now doing really well and the other two young ones are like your girl, I have to help them in at bedtime. I always think though that they all learn the routine in the end it just takes some a little longer than others and it so good to be getting eggs again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, why, why don’t I plant raspberries? Fresh raspberries taste so much better than what you can buy in stores.

      Delete
  5. Great to see Murphy floating on the pool and loving it. I can't imagine any of my cats doing that. The hens are looking good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have imagined any cat would be interested in floating on the water! He is unique.

      Delete
  6. There's always one 'kid' that the problem child... I hope she learns to go to bed by herself soon. And, that cat! floating on the water! your pets keep you entertained for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden, pool and hens look outstanding. Murphy the water loving kitty is a real wonder. He must keep everyone entertained. He looks like he is posing for his surfing picture. Next year I might attempt growing vegetables using some covers like the ones you are using. Historically my fencing provided no protection and the wildlife ate everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks wonderful - warm weather, your own produce, a pool and campfire company. What could be nicer!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Camp fires were such fun back in the late teens. But your photo is the first I've seen for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if Murphy has ever had a dunking. How would he react?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun read. I would never believe about Murphy if there wasn't a picture. Too cold here right now to even consider a pool. A campfire yes. I just ordered crop covers for hail protection not bugs. It sounds like you have a good plan. I'm glad you are enjoying your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A surfing cat! He's a really cool cat.
    Nice to hear you and your garden are enjoying a hot summer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! Loved seeing the hens and how cool to have an adventurous cat. Good luck with the gardens. I saw a post on FB showing someone using a dollar store mesh hamper upside down over a veg plant. Maybe it was just wishful thinking but just maybe, especially if you staked it down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tigger's attention just stopped at Murphy on a surf board. Tigger has sat on a surf board - fortunately in his view his humans did not push it into the sea. Murphy is definitely an anomaly. xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks beautiful, perhaps idyllic -- except I know behind that is a ton of work. I am in love with Murphy and his floatie. I can't begin to imagine Lizzie even getting close!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful post. Great pictures. Just love the cats! That Murph is a card!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so enjoyed your post; Murphy on his floatie, the new chickens and their quirks, the thriving garden and the camp fire. It makes me long to have more land.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cats! Eggs! Vegetable gardens! What more does one need really?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Murphy is a real character - I've heard of cats (and dogs of course) riding on a float or even a surf board - he certainly looks proud of himselve.
    The chickens are doing well and your garden is amazing! It's is wild how things have grown so much in a few short weeks. My annual containers are overflowinging.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Smelling Smoke and Bugspray. LOL!
    That Murphy might be the most special cat ever! I do hope your summer hot weather lasts as long as possible before Old Man Winter comes back.
    The garden looks great and you have to be creative with nature at times.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What fun! Murphy with his floatie...that is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A very funny photograph of the adventurer Cat in the swimingpool. Joyfull photograph. Have a nice summer.

    ReplyDelete