Sunday 16 July 2023

Houdini Chicken and a Construction Project

 I spent a lot of time on Amazon.ca looking at netting. The good kind that I wanted, that I knew would last and the size I needed was, of course, sold out and unknown when more would be in. Why was I looking at netting? Two reasons, well actually the first reason is more like four reasons. We have a resident family of red tailed hawks. Mom and the three juveniles fly over our property, calling out, throughout the day. They sit on top of our neighbour's roof. They sit on the rail fence that borders our property and stare at the chicken run. Mother hawk (I think) took a swoop down at Murphy! (He subsequently leapt up into the air and tried to get her).

The other reason I was looking at netting was a hen I have named "Houdini chicken". In all the years that I have had chickens, I have never had a problem with chickens flying out of our run. The fence around their run is four feet tall. The only one who ever flew out was a nasty little piece of work Banty rooster named Rusty (yes, Friendly Giant reference for my Canadian friends). 

However, one of the "new" hens, a lavender Orpington, has taken to jumping up on a fence post and then jumping down onto the lawn. We corralled her back into the run several times. I worried about her escaping into the acres of weedy brush to the west of us, or being eaten by a predator if she didn't return quickly enough, so I watched some videos on how to clip wing feathers. It doesn't hurt the bird and it makes them somewhat unbalanced in their flight attempts and keeps them more grounded. After one of her escapes, husband and I caught her and I clipped her flight feathers of her right wing (you only do one side). 

Then, a couple of days ago, husband felt generous with his time and energy and began to build a structure over the chicken run in order to enclose it with a chicken wire roof (better than netting). I helped as much as I could.


Here's a progress pic so far. He had previously built (and refurbished) the chicken coop for me as well. 


Much more work has been done since I took this shot a couple of days ago. You can see the hens eating and scratching around. Please note the one whitish/grey chicken farthest to the right, facing outward. She will feature prominently in the rest of the post.


Let me introduce you to Houdini chicken. Here she is frantically pacing back and forth along the fence line. On this particular construction day, she was acting positively neurotic. Her beak was open (no, it wasn't too hot, no she wasn't lacking water), she frequently pushed her head through the openings in the wire fence, and regardless of wing clipping, she was able to do this:



Yup, with some upward estimating and some good knee flexing, she flapped her way up to the top of the fence post. MANY TIMES. I would turn her around and she would jump back down into the run with the other chickens. After jumping up to the fence post maybe four or five times, I actually held her , stroking her little chicken head, feeling her heart beating out of her chest, and asked her what the issue was. She had a good life here, everything she could want, was it because the grass was literally greener on the other side of the fence? 

Anyway, chicken neuroses aside, husband continued to build and I continued to help, and at one point we were on the other side of the run and Houdini chicken jumped up and out AGAIN and I was just too damn tired of her foolishness to go get her, so we finished up whatever we were doing and after a minute, husband asked where she was. I didn't see her but figured she couldn't have gotten far. We started to look for her and in true Houdini style, she had disappeared. 

I have a couple of perennial beds that are parallel to each other and form a pseudo walkway of grass between them toward the chicken coop. I started parting plants and looking to see if maybe she was hiding in there. And eventually, look what I found:


There she was, tucked under a day lily, contentedly "purring" and not bothered by the fact that I had discovered her. Then upon closer inspection, I saw some broken egg shell under the same flowers. This was actually her nest! She laid an egg in there, popped out of the perennial bed and went straight back toward the fence, whereby husband opened the gate for her and she went right back in as happy as could be. There were, in fact, three other broken egg shells in there. Unbeknownst to us, she had been "flying the coop" regularly, laying her egg, and flying back in. (I'm not sure why the eggs before this were broken, either something had discovered them and eaten the contents, or her first few attempts at eggs had brittle shells).

Alas, for those of you forward thinkers, we realize that the chicken run will very soon be enclosed from the top with sturdy chicken wire. I am already anxious about Houdini chicken's future stress levels. (Yes, I know I have a problem). If I am home and in the yard and I see her pacing, I will just open the gate for her, let her out to do her thing, and then let her back in. Others have also suggested I transplant some daylilies in the run for her to lay her eggs in there, but for anyone who has ever had chickens, we know that chickens love nothing better than to scratch, dig dust bath holes and generally decimate all plant material in their runs. Eventually, I suppose, she will just have to suck it up and use a nesting box in the coop like everyone else, but it would seem she has some pretty strong "wild chicken instinct", escaping and finding a protected little hidey hold in which to lay her eggs. Ahhh, my life.

And on a different note, yesterday was my birthday and here is the cake that daughter and boyfriend arranged to me:


Isn't that a hoot! It was delicious! (carrot cake). 

Do share your own neurotic animal stories and the lengths to which you have gone for your own furry or feathered friends. (So I know I'm not alone).



34 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday -- love that cake, LOL! And I wonder -- will Houdini Chicken really be able to change and settle down to using a nesting box? I feel bad for her. Let us know what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've got a very smart chicken there. I think most of us with animals, pets or livestock, have done slightly loony things for them, including putting newborn lambs in the oven on a low heat because of winter hypothermia..

    My Mom had chickens and you remind me she used to clip one wing to avoid losing them over the wall! Wild country, plenty of foxes and stoats etc. I remember her explaining to me, I was very small, that it didn't hurt, just like trimming your hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the first time I did it. I was very careful not to trim too far up. Maybe I just didn't take quite enough off?? I remember my mother, who grew up on a farm, saying how they would sometimes put a small piglet in the oven.

      Delete
  3. I forgot to say happy birthday! And, working in my fingers you're -- 97?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Jen. That's a wonderful way to count a birthday. I'll pass it on to my kids..
    Good luck with chicken training

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cake! Happy Day of Birth to you.
    I think that everyone who has chickens , cats, dogs, goats, cows 'er you get the drift has some nifty tales to tell. You may want to consult Leigh 5 Acres & a Dream our resident poultry drama expert. From what I have gleaned she has tales that will raise the hair on your head and assure you are not alone. Sometimes I think that a species who often seems determined to become at the top of the potential extinction list has made it this far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy B-day Jenn. Great cake! Your white chicken seems to have a wild streak and seeks the wilds of the unsafe outdoors. With the new chicken wire roof, hopefully she will settle down and stay put. Let us know how she responds to the new roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will either settle down, or repeatedly bash her little chicken head into the overhead chicken wire. Sigh.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday Jenn! Yes, there are animal stories out there. My daughter's chickens were hounded by hawks, owls, rat snakes, etc. But the funny story (that was not so funny at the time) was her runaway alpacas. They had 2... and have several acres (fenced)... but these 2 constantly found their way out and had neighbors calling that they were seen running down the road. After a while, they found another home for them due to the nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I had to do the math, right? Happy Birthday!
    I've never raised chickens, but my mom did was I was a young child (under 7). I remember hearing stories about an owl that would swoop into the coop and pick up a chicken, my mom with a gun, and an owl flying away and dying laughing. At least that's what my uncle said...I don't know if she actually shot it or if she ran out of chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that story and can't wait for the sequel. Hope it all ends happily.!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! That's a clever cake!
    My daughter and her boyfriend are currently building a fence around their property - to keep their dogs in and to keep the neighbor's chickens out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the first time I clipped a chicken's wing feathers. I was sure the chicken would scream bloody murder! It's curious that your escape artist hen willingly leaves her grass-is-greener nest. One would think she's wanting to go broody and sit on those eggs she's laying. Trying to figure out animals/poultry can be a puzzlement! Reminds me of a female goose we once had who would walk right up to you when you were in the pen, stretch her head and neck up towards you and "talk" a blue stream. I sure would have liked to know what she was trying to communicate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When we only had 2 chickens I built an enclosure it became apparent it was too small so I opened the door yes they destroy everything but I think they do need a lot of fresh grass, now we have 5 chickens and the area we have them in is only just big enough last winter I cut it too short and they struggled for green stuff so I had to cut other plants to keep them satisfied, they do have a few different areas they can spend time in, one area is some large plants that they seem to like to hide in, sometimes I think the sun is too hot for them even in winter, sometimes I think they feel safer when nothing can see them, I know they look out for each other always looking for danger, yes dirt baths help to keep the mites away.
    I have enjoyed your story, enjoy you chickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment. I like hearing about other people's chicken adventures.

      Delete
  13. Belated Happy Birthday. I can so relate to this. My run has to be roofed because my bantam flock are such good flyers that they would be off. Dot (black and white spotted girl) behaved exactly like this. When about to lay it's as if three nest boxes and four corners of the chicken shed are just not good enough for her. She would look stressed and pace and jump up on things looking for somewhere else to lay. In the end I would shut her in a nest box and return ten minutes later to check on her. She would either be settled and I would open the nest box and she would stay in or she would already have laid. After doing this a few times I just leave her to it and in the end she always chooses a nest box and gets the job done. My new girl has now completely settled in and is integrated with the flock. If you would like to check in it's Carol's chickens. All is harmony in the chicken run for now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an update, Carol, the covered run is almost done, but there is still a small gap in a main gate. We wire it shut, as much as possible and even prop a board against the outside, but Houdini chicken (and I've never witnessed her escape, only when she wants back in) still manages to squeeze through and hop up, for the life of me, I don't know how she does it, and goes and lays her egg. She comes back to the run and when I open the gate for her, she goes in, like a house cat!!

      Delete
  14. Happy Belated Birthday. Hopefully Houdini Chicken settles down.
    Love that cake.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated birthday Jenn. You are so good to your chickens & hopefully Miss Wild Bird will settle to using a nest box. Could you maybe put some fake foliage around her nest box? I use to have a horse that would jump over the 5' paddock fence to graze on the other side, she never ran away but seemed to prefer the other side's grass.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved reading this well written, interesting tale. I also was expecting to hear of a broody hen and a secret clutch of eggs, although her willingness to go back in the coop was curious. Sure hope you had a lovely BD. That cake is fun and very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. First of all, happy birthday! That's a great cake! And Houdini Chicken is a character and in some ways a delight (and in some ways cause for great angst!) She's pretty. And productive, apparently! I love that soon the coop will have a roof -- you definitely married the right guy! Meanwhile, keep an eye out for those hawks! (Loved this delightful, fun post! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My black labrador got off his leash that tied him in front of the supermarket, for the very long time I was inside. I had no idea where he was, so I went home and waited for him to crawl on home.

    Later my favourite coffee shop found him looking tragic outside their door, waiting for me. They tied him on the tree outside, give him some food and a bowl of water, and waited for me to arrive. Eventually they were closing, so the coffee people asked other customers there who might have known my telephone number. When I picked up Rudy, everyone was in tears, including the labrador.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have been so concerned, not knowing where your dog was! I like that everyone was so happy for the reunion.

      Delete
  19. New here...and I really like your blog! And the chickens!lol
    Happy weekend!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have 7 chickens constantly worry about them. Too hot too cold. I let mine free range most of the day since my husband is out there always puttering around working on something. If we go out I feel so sorry for them being locked up in their run and it's huge. Always in a hurry to get back to let them out. The guilt is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's been a while since I dropped by. Happy birthday indeed! Hugs! and hugs to the chickens too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That girl just wants her privacy, right? I honestly don't blame her...she is her own person. I mean Hen!! I too would worry about her mental health.
    Happy belated birthday my sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy happy birthday! Loved this post. We have had many Houdini chickens over the years. You have to admire their persistence, if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete