Sunday 17 April 2022

Easter and the Deconstruction 2022

 Good morning. Our Easter celebrations will be our little group again - myself, husband, daughter and boyfriend, son, and mother-in-law. Sometimes we do extended family, but this year, my sister is trying to keep covid-free for upcoming leg surgery (which has been postponed countless times due to fabulous health care), and one brother and his wife and daughter all caught covid recently. They are all fine for the most part. 

I have a pre-stuffed cook-from-frozen turkey, which is, in my opinion, the best and easiest way to make a roast turkey. Daughter is bringing a carrot cake. I said I wouldn't be doing Easter treats because 25 and 22 year-olds do not need chocolate bunnies and an Easter egg hunt. However, I ended up caving because it's Easter, so there are a few little treats! 

Yesterday I ventured into Walmart and it was un flipping real!! Keep in mind, Friday was a holiday where stores were closed. Today is a holiday where stores are closed. So Saturday was that day sandwiched in between where everyone is running out getting what they need for their kids' Easter or for a holiday meal, or whatever other incredibly necessary items that need to be procured from Walmart. (Yes, that includes me, but in my defense I did substitute teaching on Wednesday and Thursday this week, so was somewhat busy). I have NEVER seen it that busy, ever! Just navigating through the isles was a lesson in patience and the line for the check-outs went past the front of the women's clothes, past the front of the produce area and down into housewares! But I got those gold-wrapped Lindt chocolate Easter bunnies on sale!!

I've been continuing to rake and pick up the many spruce cones and other branches that have come down from the many wind storms this winter in our yard. I'm pacing myself so as not to wreck my back. Alas, we had wind warnings and extremely high winds just two days ago and now the front lawn and flower beds are strewn with spruce cones again and more branches have come down. Oh well, keeps me limber. 

We have something exciting/worrying in our little neighbourhood. In the last couple of weeks we have seen a fox in the "field" next to our property, as well as running through the neighbour's yard and along a line of downed trees and rocks. It is exciting to see such a beautiful, wild creature and I know that "urban" foxes are not rare (although I would hesitate to call our end of this tiny village urban). I researched to see if it would be a problem for our cats and no, usually foxes don't bother with cats or in rare instances will take a kitten or an old, weakened cat. The issue is of course, my chickens. In all the years that I have kept chickens I have never had a fox take a hen. Their chicken run is fenced , but not covered. As well, during one of our many wind storms, a big tree came down (Manitoba maples, grrrr!) and partially crushed part of the fence. The chickens still stay inside the enclosure, but it would be nothing for a fox to climb over (even without it being crushed). The fox has seen us and usually starts to run away, so it knows we humans are here. 

However, yesterday, as we were on our upstairs landing, looking out the windows (more on that later!!!), I saw the fox and watched it for a while. On the neighbouring property, there is a very small, very old barn. There is nobody living there now. The fox was behind that barn, and has been seen there before. Low and behold, I saw young ones! At first I thought there were three, but then noticed a fourth. The fox is a female and they were playing around her and stopping to nurse now and then. Oh boy! It's going to be an interesting rest of the spring and summer!

Now, onto the deconstruction. Our house is old. Not old by European standards but old, around 130 years old. It is double brick construction. Some parts have been renovated and some parts haven't. With the price of heating going up and up and up, as well as the price of everything else, we decided we had to act this year on doing some serious insulating in key parts of the house. Our old basement will be tackled in about a month's time. Right now, husband has been working on the upstairs landing. It has always been a cold part of the house. He has now ripped out all the lathe and plaster from the walls. Here are some pictures of what has been happening.




In the above picture, you can see the little old barn in the neighbouring yard. There is where the fox has her den. 


In this picture, above, the lathe and plaster is now gone and you can see the inside layer of brick in some areas. There are a couple spots where you can see daylight! No insulation here!


This picture gives you an idea of the "front landing" It juts out a bit from the house (same configuration on the first floor) with two windows facing front and a window on each side. The hideous blue carpeting will be ripped up later for in-floor heating, so it doesn't matter how dirty it gets. 


These neat old square nails were used in the bigger vertical boards. 


I'm no stranger to renovation and dust and chaos. This is a multi-step, multi-project endeavour with husband doing most or all of the work. I'll keep you posted on the progress. 

24 comments:

  1. More insulation in Canada is always a good idea@ Enjoy your Easter feast! When we have turkey, we always get a frozen pre-stuffed butterball too. No fuss, no muss, and always turns out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a lot on your hands what with foxes and renovations. Hoping all goes to plan and foxes keep their distance.
    Meantime happy turkey chomping and chocolate devouring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Easter. I feel your pain but it will be worth it when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter!

    I just read an article this morning about foxes and proximity to humans. Apparently in the spring the females will often den closer to humans because their natural predators are less likely to hunt them there. It also said the mother might move the den several times while she is raising her kits. So she may move on without encouragement. Hopefully there are lots of mice living in the old barn so she has the food she needs to feed the kits.

    Wow, that's quite the project. My daughter's house has lath and plaster remaining in one of the bedrooms upstairs (the house was built in 1910). When she mentioned to her contractor she plans to have it replaced, insulated and drywalled in a year or two, he moaned.

    Have a great day with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh it looks a mammoth job to me. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully your mama fox will be mainly interested in nursing her babies than your chickens. Good luck with the renovations and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like wood that warms you twice (cutting it, then burning it), this job will definitely at least warm up your hard-working husband. First the renovation, then the reward of an insulated space. But yes, it does look like a mammoth undertaking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blessed Easter from Neb. Our local grandchildren are sick with influenza so it was just Farmer and me today. Ham balls, cheesy potato casserole, mixed vegetables, fruit salad, rolls. Neither of us really wanted (or need) a fancy dessert. And we both took a nap (or 2). Texted greetings from family and friends and we had a nice day.

    Our home's original part was built in 1911. We've renovated much of it but only took the lath & plaster from the living room. It is on the NW side of the house and was the coldest part. Now it's much warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rather you than me, that's one ambitious renovation! But the results will make it all worthwhile, I'm sure. We occasionally see foxes here although we are suburban, and there was a coyote hanging around for a while last year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lot of work on your end! But insulation in Canada is a great thing to have. The more, the better. At least your husband is handy like mine. Sure helps with the cost of maintaining a home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that looks like a big job! Planning to use less to heat the house next winter sounds like a great idea though. Good luck with the renovations!
    We do have foxes here, I've seen them a few times. For chickens here it's mostly the coyotes that get to them. My hairdresser has chickens, and told me a story once of a chicken that had stuck her head through the wire, and a hawk came down and took the poor things head right off. Instincts are powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so excited about the fox kits! I cannot wait to hear about them. It looks like a lot of work to upgrade your home, but it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it seems exciting for all the hassles and stress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Get that chicken run fox-proof and secure. Once the fox smells the chickens there is no stopping him. Good things you are doing with the house insulation, I am sure it will be worth it when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Being a fellow chicken keeper I would be alarmed at a nearby fox without a roofed run. I have mine fox proofed and fully roofed. That looks like a lot of hard work but will be worth it when it's done. Lathe and plaster makes so much mess as I know from past experience. It's great that your hubby is so handy. I look forward to seeing the end result. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH foxes, my heart skips a sighful beat, I think wonderful, but I know not good with your chickens. I sometimes think the Easter holiday brings out more shoppers than Christmas & closing for two days triggers a panic response in people, Good Friday & then Easter Sunday. Yeah to having a man about the house that can & WILL do the renos ... Mary-Lou =^[..]^=

    ReplyDelete
  17. there's a lot here. You are bold, Walmart on the day before Easter! As for the box, I think I'd be more worried than enamored. Especially with the chickens. Can you lock them inside the coop during the day? Or do foxes hunt in the day -- I don't know that much about their habits. Can you enclose the run? I'd be terribly worried. That said, if no chickens, it would be kind of wonderful.

    Three cheers for the insulation project. That's a huge big deal. But if I had to prioritize right now, I'd stop the insulation (it's almost summer -- well, spring!) and get with the chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your home improvements with added insulation and new walls will be wonderful. You are lucky to be able to do this yourselves. We have a fox or two roaming and the woman down the road lost a few chickens. She's fortified the structure for the chickens and it is now fox proof.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a hard job. Been there, done that! Plaster and lath, what a mess. That will be such a lovely little ell when you are finished. Hope you post an 'after' pic. Fox kits are a delight to watch. Sure hope your chooks stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Renos...not sure I'm a fan or not! I always have lots of motivation at first, then I lose steam and want my space back lol...I hope the fox family doesn't bother with your chickens Jenn. And bravo for you for surviving Walmart lol...The closest one here is still quite rural so there are never too many crowds...but getting the Lindt bunnies on sale is great! They way too expensive!!! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  21. The old part of our home is 102 now and while we reinsulated, and hung new and better windows, the basement needs doing next. Hopefully we can get at it at some point this coming summer.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's rather interesting to see what's under the skin of a building but insulation and under-floor heating sounds a prize worth baring all for!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, that is really a lot of work. But so interesting to see the deconstruction. As to the fox, I bet you will have a time keeping your hens safe. Our neighbors a few miles away had the same thing last spring and she lost her whole flock.Hers weren't penned up, though.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW. I had no idea your home was 130 years old. Way down here, that is called a Historical Home. You for sure will enjoy the new insulation and bravo to your honey for being able to do so much of the work himself.

    ReplyDelete