Tuesday 2 June 2020

June 2nd - put the garden in

This is truly one of the earliest I've ever put my garden in. I'm usually so busy with work at this time of year, and beyond (school goes until almost the end of June), there that are often times when I'm planting at the end of June. I worked very hard last year digging out every strawberry plant, as they had taken over three-quarters of my vegetable garden. I absolutely love strawberries, but I wanted an old fashioned vegetable garden with lots of room to grow many different things. I covered a big portion of the bed with an old carpet and pieces of our old pool liner to try and choke out weeds as well. I then raked a fairly thick cover of leaves onto the area of the vegetable garden that was still bare.

This late spring, I peeled back the carpet and the pieces of pool liner. They had done a pretty good job, but wouldn't you know it, that bind weed still managed to curl itself up and even attach to the back of the carpet! Well, we all know bindweed comes from hell anyway. Then I used my beloved rear-tine rototiller and worked the soil in one direction, old half-decomposed leaves with it. When I was done one round of tilling, I shovelled out about three-quarters of my compost, made up of old leaves, clippings, kitchen scraps, and chicken manure mixed with wood shavings. It was on its way to being fully decomposed, but not quite, however I think it will still add great nutrients to the soil and help keep in moisture. I covered as much of my vegetable garden as I could with compost, then roto-tilled the other direction, working everything in. I followed up with some raking to smooth things over. I was pretty pleased with the results. My garden is about 22 feet by 22 feet with a compost "bin" in the corner made from old pallets.

Today after "work" I got out my plan, and started marking out my rows. One thing you need to know about me, is I don't do "straight". I can't eyeball things and be able to tell if they are straight. I hate sewing curtains because I'd always have one a bit wonky, a slightly different length than the other. Pictures on the wall are checked by husband, as I'm probably incorrect as to whether they are hanging straight or not.

I realized that if I was going to pack vegetables into this bed with any success at all, I was going to need actual straight rows, so I grabbed, yes actually, pieces of rebar left over from who knows what building project. They are a dream to hammer into the soil. I rigged up my string and paced out my rows (did not use a tape or ruler for measuring, instead relying on my feet in my Birkenstocks to be almost one foot long - so much for accuracy, but it worked).

Do you see my humungous rhubarb in the corner?? I think I fed it some extra chicken manure in the fall.

I even stuck my tomato cages in the ground to make sure I had enough room, and the little pea fence as well. Both are very difficult to see in this picture. I don't have the tomato plants in the ground yet.

Back when the sky was falling and nobody even knew what reality would look like, I decided to order some seeds and start some plants because I wasn't sure if I would be able to buy bedding plants and such. Well, as it turns out garden centres are open and I could have bought any number of vegetable plants, and will still be buying some flowers for urns and window boxes. But I did start some seeds - tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, and zucchini (yup, had to look up the spelling again!).

Here are some of them on the back porch, becoming acclimatized. Most of those will go in the garden in the next day or so, but that one collection of tomatoes is still way too small. I think they can stay on a window sill indoors for a while longer. I planted two kinds of beans, two kinds of peas, carrots, beets, potatoes, and two kinds of lettuce today.

There aren't many perennials or shrubs flowering quite yet, even though we had a heat wave (followed by single digits at night and cool, windy days), but here are a couple:


This is centaurea which takes on an iridescence in the early evening. You cannot kill this stuff!


This is a type of viburnum shrub. The clusters of blossoms have a unique sweet smell.


Of course, because I was wandering around outside taking pictures, the girls rushed to the fence, wondering if I might have something for them. They go crazy over dandelion leaves (no shortage of those here!) . Today they got a cucumber that was in the beginning stages of being mush in the crisper and the outside edges and core of a pineapple. Life is good.

Yesterday, we lost power for a little while in the morning. Our neighbour told our son it was because a squirrel got into a transformer. It wasn't this guy, because we've seen him and his double since then.

Mr. blond tail lives to dig another walnut out of my window boxes!

29 comments:

  1. Whoa! That rhubarb is just CRYING OUT to be made into a crisp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made one strawberry rhubarb crisp already. I think I need to do some freezing, but then it will just hang out in the freezer with all the other rhubarb I've frozen over the years!

      Delete
  2. My bro, who teaches horticulture, advised me one day that there are no straight lines in nature. He's got a point. My veg garden took on a whole new life after that. Good luck with fitting it all in. And that Rhubarb looks fantastic. People in hot climates have no idea what they are missing out on when it comes to rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've played around with planting in blocks before, too. I always think I want straight lines so I can rototill between the rows, but I usually don't.

      Delete
  3. The girls look healthy and happy.
    With all your planning and preparation your garden has to flourish. I'll spit on it three times to keep off the evil eye.
    Awaiting the follow up photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls are doing well. Thank you for the spitting!!

      Delete
  4. Those lines look very impressive. Paul uses string but still gets wonky lines, the veg tastes great though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing about what you two are doing in your garden, as well!

      Delete
  5. Your work in the garden is very impressive and I am sure it will pay dividends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am very impressed with all the work you have done to the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the work was done in the fall, but I'm glad it paid off!

      Delete
  7. I admire your strength & enthusiasm to get such a large veg garden in. I decided not to put tomatoes in again as I get so few fruits for my efforts of care. You have very impressive rhubarb clump, which reminds me I need to check on mine for harvesting a few stalks, I have a fabulous recipe for orange rhubarb loaf. ... Mary-Lou =^[..]^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see some of the huge gardens around here. I'm "competing" with the Amish. They always have straight rows!

      Delete
  8. So much fun to see your garden at this point and please be sure to post pictures of the progress! Your rhubarb plant and mine must be related. I absolutely love rhubarb-anything so this time of year it's so hard to keep a lid on the sugar we ingest because of all the rhubarb treats I want to make. Good lookin' chickens and I'm sure they will love any leftovers and/or scraps from the garden. With the fantastic preparation you've put into your garden, it can't help but be a success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you well know, now is when it looks its best. In a few weeks when the bindweed and dandelions have been battling it out, that's the true test. I've only ever done muffins, pies, and crisps with rhubarb. Maybe I need to change it up, and yes, a whole lot of sugar is required!

      Delete
  9. Please follow up on your garden. I would love to have one out back, but not sure the wildlife would allow it. But I can follow yours virtually. And would love to see more of your chickens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not so sure that some of my plants won't get eaten either. We often have rabbits. I haven't seen the ground hog in ages, so maybe it relocated. I do have some wonderful frames that husband made for me to protect seedlings, but not enough for the whole garden. It's the chance you take. In a perfect world, I'd have a sweet fenced in / walled garden.

      Delete
  10. You are ROCKING this! I am so impressed -- you must have a fabulous back if you aren't hurting after all this one! My "garden" is a bunch of stuff in pots. And all from seed so very small still. But it will come! I'm blown away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no no no, not a fabulous back at all! I spent a lot of time with physio a year or two ago. Of course, as one does, I have stopped doing all of my physio exercises, so my back definitely tells me when I've done too much. Gardens in pots are a good way to go, too Jeanie. I will probably have some tomatoes in pots.

      Delete
  11. Good luck with your garden. I admire your fortitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my hobby and it makes me happy. I don't craft, I don't paint, I don't go to the gym (well, I couldn't right now anyway), I don't like to watch movies, so this is my thing.

      Delete
  12. I would love to be planting in the garden too. I hope all your veggies grow nice and big. There's nothing like fresh food from the garden. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All that work will definitely produce good results. Home made compost is well worth the effort. So far I just have tomatoes, swiss chard and potatoes....and, of course, rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like Viburnum Burkwoodii....May your garden flourish! And I am very impressed by your rhubarb, among other things!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done, you. There will be tomato sammies come August.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, looks great! Your garden is so well organized. And I always like seeing images of the girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That rhubarb! So jealous! And I do love that squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, what a nice looking spot! Can't wait to see it all full and growing. Your plants look so healthy and beautiful. Seems like my little garden is taking it's time growing.

    ReplyDelete