Sunday 12 August 2018

New Hens!

We went off on a chicken hunt yesterday. The first place was quite hideous. This couple had a property set back from the road with a ramshackle small barn, an outdoor pen for goats and sheep, and a variety of pieced together chicken coops. The conditions were very crowded, poorly maintained, dirty, and practically all of the birds were missing many feathers. The woman said she had far too many roosters who were very hard on the birds and that she had gotten rid of most of her roosters a little while ago. There was no way on earth I was going to buy any of her birds. She needs to take better care of her very large flock. There were also geese and turkeys, and a handful of cats.

I was disappointed, but husband asked if there was anyone else I had been in communication with, and there was one about 40 minutes in the opposite direction. I emailed him on my cell phone and off we went. This was a fairly young guy who had a smaller amount of birds. He knew the history of his birds, could name some of the varieties, had built nice shelters for them, and many of the birds were free ranging out on the grass. Much better. The rain started to come down and I got soaked standing outside, deciding which ones to take. He was also very good to say that he wasn't totally sure if some of them were hens (or roosters), so we avoided those. I ended up buying four young birds from him. Two of them are about three months old, and two are between three and half to four months old. I still have probably three more months to wait until they begin laying eggs. This really wasn't my intention, but they were healthy looking birds that he clearly looked after.

Here are some pictures of the new girls.


The light "buff" coloured one, and the one at the back of this picture, closest to the wall, are the older two. They are thankfully not too bossy of the younger two.


The one closest is one of the younger ones. She is going to be very pretty with her black and brown feathers.


Here is the other younger one. She is kind of bizarre looking, kind of like a vulture. She has barely any comb, black legs, and occasionally you see a hint of white feathers underneath her wings. We'll see how she develops. She is the smallest of all four, but manages pretty well.


Here are three of them clustered together ready to have a tiny, thirty second snooze. You can see the white feather poking out from the little black hen's wing.


This older brown and black girl was the only one who ate the bits of lettuce I gave them. She is the biggest of all four and will be a very pretty, interesting looking hen.

I spend a ridiculous amount of time sitting in the doorway of the coop, getting them used to my presence, my voice. I want them to be comfortable around people, not a bunch of scaredy cats that will be impossible to handle if need be.

We've opened the little chicken door which has the ramp to lead out into the chicken run. I even put a little food right in the doorway. So far they have pecked at the food, but are not the least bit interested in going outside. Maybe that's a good thing. I want them to think of the coop as home and a safe place so that when they do start to go out in the run, they will automatically go in the coop in the evening. Most of our chickens roosted at night with no problem at all. I want these to be the same (although they are entirely too small to jump up on the lovely roosts that husband built). For now they will be happy to nestle down on the floor in a little cluster.

In terms of what kinds of hens these are, I'm not entirely sure. The young man had some "Easter Eggers" (lay bluish eggs), some Wyandotts, Barred rocks, perhaps some orpingtons, and then mixes of those. We shall see...

22 comments:

  1. Barred Rocks gave a good disposition. Like pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really would have liked to get barred rocks, just didn't have the opportunity.

      Delete

  2. It sounds like you had a very interesting chicken hunt! And, successful, too.
    They're very pretty. I hope you'll keep us posted on their progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely birds that have obviously been well reared and I have no doubt they will settle happily with you. Lucky birds in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting when you bring a new animal (and bird) into your life.
    Your girls are all pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great.
    I enjoyed reading your story about them and seeing their pictures.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are a fine looking brood. I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on getting back into chickens . . . and your own fresh eggs! You'll get hours of entertainment from them and your eggs will taste so much different than store bought ones. But you know that. You'll be surprised at how soon they'll be able to jump up into their roosting perches, I'll bet. They love to get up high especially to sleep. Looking forward to hearing more about your flock.

    P.S. Glad you made the decision not to take any birds from that horrible first place. (Poor animals that have to live there though. :o( )

    ReplyDelete
  8. They really are pretty birds, and healthy looking too! Good luck with your new flock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I imagine the blonde girl is Buff Orpington as I have 3 hens and the coloring is about right. Would bet that the brown and black with the rose combs (?) are the Easter Eggers . The little girl with the flash of white feather sweet. Enjoy you did good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love it if they were Easter eggers. I've always had brown eggs and that would be really neat!

      Delete
  10. They have found a very good home with you, lucky birds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A friend of mine rescued some chickens from a battery farm. They were very sorry-looking but as soon as they were let into a yard, they began pecking and scratching for worms even though they had never seen real ground before. They developed well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My gosh, I'm ridiculously excited for you, Jen! I just realized that I've been smiling like an idiot while reading these past two posts. These birds are so adorable. And very lucky to be in your care! Looking forward to hearing more about them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so exciting! The Buff Orpington should be a sweet, mellow girl. They are such pretty little hens. Don't feel ridiculous, as I've had chickens for years and can still stand and watch them for hours, fascinating! All it takes is one brave hen to venture outside and the rest will follow. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you're off to a good start! I've never had chickens but my hairdresser takes me out to the coop to have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's exciting!!! I'm jealous! I would love to have chickens again but I'm very nervous to do anything to attract those darned coyotes and hawks closer to the house and my pups!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely selection of healthy young hens! easter eggers do not have a comb and tend to have puffy cheeks. They come in all colors. It looks like you have a buff orp., maybe a few black sexlinks (which are black and gold, beautiful color) ... and I'm not sure what the black small hen is - although with no comb, perhaps easter egger mix. (auracana, Americauna?)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on the new girls! Once I can get my yard in some kind of order, I am hoping once the weather cools down here in SC I want to get chickens again. Only three or four this time. We had them many years ago and there were over 15 of them and it was too much to maintain so I think three or four should do me :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so exciting. Sounds like you are doing all the right things to make them feel safe and at home. I can't wait till you get eggs! I wonder what color they will be? Oh, this is such an adventure -- Living happily and vicariously through your experience!

    ReplyDelete