Saturday 29 April 2017

How We are Ruled by Cats and a Sky Shot

After my last post about cats and doves who get a second lease on life, I thought you might like to see the other feline in our family. Sampson is about 15 years old. We adopted him from a shelter. When he came to us, he didn't know how to purr. He was a pretty cool cat, though, doing his own thing and occasionally blessing us with a visit on our laps and a few head bumps.

He's not a big meower either. To let us know that he want out, he pulls at the mat in front of a door, lifting it up and letting it drop a couple of times to get our attention. If he wants to be let in, he rips the hell out our screens.

He does hunt and kindly leaves us offerings on any outdoor mat leading to a door. The worst thing he ever killed and left for us was an indigo bunting. I hated him for about a day after that.

source
He hasn't given us too much grief over the years, with only a couple of issues that needed vet assistance. As with many pets, he is a creature of habit. One of his habits (which likely is our own fault for having started it) is to expect to be dried off when he comes in wet from the rain or moving through long wet grass. One of us grabs a towel from the "to be washed" towel bin and does his bidding.


First, place cat on towel (or sometimes if you lay the towel out and invite him, he will go on his own).


Next, wrap cat in towel and rub gently.


Finally, note look of complete satisfaction and air of superiority on cat's face as you complete the task.


Now moving onto weather, as every good Canadian should, we had some pounding rain on Thursday evening, just in time for husband and I to leave after work to drive to the city where daughter is wrapping up her third year of university. We took both vehicles down so we could get all her stuff packed and moved home. At one point, I pulled over at a gas station to wait out the heaviest of the rain because it was a little hard to see while driving. At that time, an Amish horse and buggy with passengers went past and I thought, "This is not a good time to be Amish!"

We got there within 20 minutes of each other and daughter was all ready for us, we just took a few elevator loads down in her residence building, loaded up, and stopped off for supper. Daughter drove with me and we chatted the whole way home. The rain stopped by then and the drive was very nice. The setting sun was magnificent so I pulled over to take a picture. Daughter insisted that she take the picture (presumably I am incapable), which she did and then proceeded to enhance this and diminish that... here is the result:



Today is sunny, but not particularly warm. I might still manage to get some more yard work done and husband is working on taxes today (bleh!).

23 comments:

  1. He is a handsome lad! Too bad about the bunting. We don't let our cat out much unless we're with her or she's on a leash. Our last cat lived outside and was attacked by dogs. He ran up a huge vet bill before we had to have him put down, it was so sad. So when we got Miss Kitty from a shelter we decided that she would be an indoor cat.
    Enjoy having your daughter at home. Ours too assumes we don't know how to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's raining cats and dogs here now. Kitties are at the farm - their home. I finally reached the point where I don't know what I'd do if one of the kids moved home. That day will come Jenn. Tax day has come and passed. Horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm am loving that cat more than I can say. If only we all could be so good at asking for what we want or need ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your weather sounds like ours. I love Samson -- he's very handsome. I know what you mean about the bunting gift, though. Stimpy once hurled a cardinal on the kitchen floor and that was his last day as a free roaming outdoor cat, though he was pretty good on a leash.

    That sunset is fabulous. Nice to have your daughter home for a bit. Treasure that time -- it's all too short!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's a good looking puss cat. Fantastic sunset photo. Enjoy your daughter at home, they grow up too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If Norbert didn't hate other cats he would admire your Sampson and his expectations of you. Is he a big cat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would categorize (omg - see what I just did?) him as a big cat. Sampson kind of hates our other cat, Scooter. But Scooter can be a bit of an idiot.

      Delete
    2. Categorize! Bwhahahhahahha! Norbert is a bit of an idiot too. And big. About 12 pounds. He has been up to 14. Oh, but I love him. Right now he is putting all his weight on my foot. It hurts.

      Delete
  7. I hope you enjoy having your daughter home. We do that next week with our son! Except I'm sure he won't chat the whole way home...I miss when he used to do that! Beautiful sky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've always been a dog family, never had a cat. If I could ever get over the whole cat box/litter thing I think I'd like to have one now. If we could keep it off the kitchen counters. And table.

    Husband's folks had a German Shepherd that loved to catch snakes . . . and bring them into the house for show and tell. Nearly always still alive where they would immediately slither away to find a good hiding place. (((Shudder.)))

    Gorgeous shot of the sky you (and your daughter) captured. Worthy of being framed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These two cats actually don't even require a litter box. They both go outside (we have a lot of "empty" property around us). They don't go on the counter or table (when we are watching!). Funny you mentioned bringing in snakes. A woman I work with had her cat bring in a garter snake. She found it poking its head up behind the stove!!

      Delete
  9. Oh your tabby boy is quite handsome. I like how Sampson trained you to dry him off. I once put on a resume covering letter that I was quite trainable, ask my cat ... yes I got the job, the boss was a cat lover so got the joke. Beautiful sky photo - thankfully I got in my car at work just as the heavens opened & was able to drive straight into the garage at home, so no towel drying needed for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a spectacular photo! It must have been so cool to look at it in person. Your Sampson looks a lot like our Mocha (ours is female). Mocha doesn't meow much either and she enjoys being a lap cat. I had a good laugh with the whole towel ordeal. We do serve our cats, don't we? How do they manage to get us that way?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got my taxes done super early (American) this year. Got my refund back in Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your kitty. Too bad you couldn't teach him to ring a doorbell to save your screens. lol
    I hate driving in really heavy rain like that. Glad it let up by the time you got home. Enjoy summer with your daughter. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your cat. My lab has finally learned, that during the rainy season,she has to be wiped off - all the way to her muddy paws. My cats are inside. that Awfully smart of your cat and I can tell he enjoys the attention.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sampson! I am totally in love with him! How beautiful and handsome he is Jenn! Lovely shot of the sunset...just in awe of that sometimes! I certainly enjoyed reading your post today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it - swaddling for cats! What a beautiful face Sampson has! Great last photo! Enjoy your week, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shot! and I love your cats - miss having them but the newest dog would eat any new ones I bring home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Sampson looks just like Belle, the mother cat I have posted about.....which the sanctuary had her spayed and she and her gettings are getting adopted! How wonderful that you adopted your Sampson.....and you are right.......our cats have us trained! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the shots. Sunny here today but I'm not warm either. Two shirts, long jeans and the heat was on earlier.

    As for the garlic mustard tea that you asked about? I haven't heard of it either but decided to give it a go and loved it. Not sure if it would be considered medicinal. That word along with super food, gets tossed about a lot. I really don't know? I guess we'll see how I feel after. So far, I'm loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mine bring in snakes and frogs all the time!

    ReplyDelete