Saturday 27 February 2016

an unabashed letter


 I looked up the word "unabashed" in my Funk and Wagnalls Standard College Dictionary that I chose as my prize for receiving the English proficiency award in my grade twelve year. That was when we still had grade thirteen in Ontario. I still believe we should have grade thirteen. It is an extra year in which to mature a little more and to figure out what you want to do next, or perhaps what you need to do next.

Regardless, I was using the word, "unabashed" correctly because I was not the least bit embarrassed to be writing a fan letter of sorts to one of my favourite authors, Louise Penny. I have mentioned her already in my blog when referring to The Long Way Home.

I just finished her latest crime mystery entitled, The Nature of the Beast. Again, it was set in the fictitious Eastern Townships village of Three Pines. How badly I want to go there (yes, I know...) to eat at the bistro and stay at the bed and breakfast, and walk through the fallen leaves to go and sit on the bench and catch a glimpse of Ruth and her duck. This latest book takes the reader on a journey which combines art forms and the dark underbelly of human nature. Penny always includes art, whether it be painting, sculpture, poetry, or drama in her books, perhaps as a way to ground the reader to something wonderful and creative while a character gets killed off or reveals a very human flaw.

I do not want to give away a plot line for anyone who hasn't read this yet, but wants to. If you've read any of Louise Penny's other books, I will tell you that you will love the character  of  Ruth even more after this.

So whether Penny reads or responds to my letter to her does not matter. I just felt that I had to let her know how much I have enjoyed and anticipated her books over the years. I truly don't  know  how  she is able to put together her amazing story lines or create her multidimensional  characters. It is in one part a gift, but, no doubt, it also comes from hard work, determination, and incredible skill.

Come have a seat in the "red room" as we call it and I'll  make you a cup of tea, or pour you a glass of wine, and begin with Still Life , her first book, and discover  why I am  unabashedly  a fan.






























6 comments:

  1. Glad you still have your Funk and Wagnalls. I still have ours. They probably have that smelly old book scent. LOL. I love books that take you to the place of the story...in our minds. :):) Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used that dictionary so much throughout university. There were no lap tops then with an instant spell check! I could not part with it. -Jenn

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog via Our Quiet Life in Suffolk. I don't often leave comments on blogs but felt drawn to do so today, inspired by your review of Louise Penny's novel -a new one to me, so she will be added to my list to look out for in the library. I'm reading Flight Behaviour by Barbara Kingsolver at the moment - it deals with the effects of climate change, especially mild, very wet winters which particularly resonates with me this year as in England we hardly seem to have had a dry day since November! I don't drink coffee or red wine but will raise a cup of tea to you instead! Thanks for blogging. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding out about what other people are reading. I know Our Quiet Life in Suffolk often mentions books that I would like to find. Thanks for visiting my blog, Vicki.

      Delete
  3. I hope you get a replybut even if you don;t she will know how much her books mean to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't even expect a reply. It was just something I wanted to do after so many years of reading her books. Her website was wonderful to read as well.

      Delete