Sunday 25 October 2015

Favourite Treats

Why is it when we can't have something, it's all we think about?  I have decided recently to reign in my horrendous eating habits. I am doing something that really worked well for me several years back called "clean eating". It was a fairly new term then, used mostly by those in the fitness industry who were trying to get lean for an event or photo shoot. (I was NOT someone in the fitness industry!)
Now, clean eating is nothing new and all you have to do is search for it on Pinterest and you get more information and recipes than you could possibly read.

So, anyway, here I am, planning my chicken and brown rice and salad, and writing down my meals with my protein and complex carbs and feeling all proud of myself, and Hallowe'en is just around the corner. My strategy for Hallowe'en was always to buy the Hallowe'en mini chocolate bars that I liked in the hopes we wouldn't have many kids and then I would be able to stuff myself with chocolate and a big glass of milk. But this year I have sworn off chocolate altogether, as well as any sugary treats that might be handed out (or not).

So, what are my favourite treats? If it is just in the category of chocolate bars, I would say Skor bar or Caramilk (best if put in the fridge!). My "drug of choice" for sugary treats would be chocolate covered almonds, or those candied peanuts (toffee covered peanuts / beer nuts). I am not a fan of anything "gummy" such as gummy worms. My son likes "fuzzy peaches" but I do not. My husband loved Reese's peanut butter cups. My daughter also likes those. I also do not like hard candies like you would find in a glass bowl at Christmas time, or mints- waste of time, mints.

But not this year.This year I will be eating an apple cut up with natural peanut butter in a spoon for dipping. MMM mmm good.

That's right...avoid the house where they're giving away apples!!

2 comments:

  1. We try to eat healthily and cut out sugary things. Our favourite treat is a ripe pear cubed with cubed feta and served on a lettuce leaf. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've served pear with blue cheese, but feta sounds great, too!

      Delete