Tuesday 9 July 2024

Tuesday, July 9, 2024

 It was a lovely hot day. I went to a big farmers market with a friend and bought a giant cauliflower, some raspberries, Ontario grown peaches ( surprising at this time in the summer), some pepperettes for husband (smoked bacon), and an Olive sourdough loaf. 

I came home and read by the pool. I have a book that is due back tomorrow so I need to finish ( Kate Ellis - The Killing Place- happy little title). 

We are supposed to get some big rain tomorrow. My tall delphiniums are already on quite a slant. I know the rain will beat them down more, so I decided to cut a few and make a bouquet. I’m no florist, that’s for sure, but I put them together with spirea and Russian sage. 


They will only be good for a couple of days but at least I can enjoy them inside. 

I’ve been watching the hummingbirds come to my feeders. I’ve tried to get a picture but it never does it justice so just assume they are a lovely couple of ruby throated hummingbirds, both male and female. 

Murphy treated me to a bird this morning, a fledgling I think. I did the old “ drape a tea towel over the bird and gather it up” routine and put it out in the shade on the edge of the property. It seemed fine, but you never know. 

It’s a beautiful time of the evening. The temperature has decreased a bit. I should get back to my book. 

15 comments:

  1. We usually buy BC peaches here in the summer but this year the crop was destroyed by a winter cold snap. So no peach pies or crisps for me this year! Your bouquet is gorgeous -- I think you did a great job of arranging it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tall stemmed flowers look fabulous in the vase. But you cannot see the people on the other side of the dinner table. So put your least favourite relatives or friends on the opposite side :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love blue Delphs. I always forget to tie them up and they always end up snapped over by wind or rain. Hummers are a constant delight to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those flowers look beautiful (also the flowers in your header)!
    I used to hang a hummingbird feeder but it attracted too many wasps. Now I hang plants that hummingbirds like and I am happy that the birds are returning again and again but haven't seen those wasps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the first time, I purchased fake wasp nests from the dollar store and hung them on both porches. They have done a great job keeping most of the wasps away (we often have problems). -Jenn

      Delete
  5. Your flower arrangement is so full of colour. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought local peaches up here too and was shocked at how good they were so early in the season. Love your flowers and purchases. We're leaving the lake today and going home to flooding in our city -- Beryl remnants. One area about a mile or two from me had six inches (on the news). I'm fearing the very worst in my basement, which floods with much less water than what is happening. I hope your rain doesn't materialize with such strength and all stays well at Chez Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty floral arrangement. We've been bringing in peonies, but they sure don't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely boquet, good to get them before the downpour. I got caught out in it and was thoroughly soaked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m writing this response after supper. The rain has been coming down steadily for quite some time and the delphiniums are very much beaten down now!

      Delete
  9. I love a Farmer's Market. Your cut flowers are breathtaking!!
    Yeah, the book sounds uplifting. 😜
    I'm enjoying my hummingbirds too, but I've not yet learned to spot the male vs female. Must.get.on.that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every year I look for delphiniums to replace the one I lost and can never find them. I wonder if I can find seeds and get our son to start a couple for me.... Yours are gorgeous.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so love big grand delphiniums. Hummingbirds are just amazing creatures if you ask me. There is nothing better than fresh peaches. You can't get that at a grocery store. Good luck with the book. I hit a wall after I asked the library if they had 5 different books, usually I'm lucky if they have one. This time they had all 5. That was too much. Good luck with yours. Let us know if it is any good.

    ReplyDelete